Thread: why nintendo

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I think nintendo was at their best with the NES and SNES especially with the latter system though I am way more into 16bit but that is what I was first exposed to (technically grew up with n64 and psone/Dreamcast) I have trouble getting into 8 bit unless its mario or an arcade style atari like game (and even then...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Think of all the franchises that are still popular today that got their start on the NES - Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Mega Man, Contra, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Ninja Gaiden, etc.

If you want to get technical, Contra and Super Mario Bros. started as arcade games, and Castlevania originally appeared on the MSX system in Japan...but we all know those franchises didn't take off until they appeared on the NES.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

forget opinions... lets break it down...

1.) only 2 systems have out sold the nes

ps1 and ps2

2.) nes saved the video game console market...

3.) every nes game that gets redone over and over started here

4.) the nintendo seal of approval set a standard in gaming used to this very day,

5.) it came out with A/V outputs, this might sound like nothing, but consider that av outputs didnt become standard untill 2 generations of consoles later... thats insane...

5.) the games... before nes we were all playing atari 2600's were almost all the games were about high scores... then nes came out, and gave birth to games with storylines and endings...

did any other gaming system after the nes trendsend gaming? no, they just took the mold nes made and gave it better graphics and sound...

I think that in 5-10 years though ppl are going to have to consider the ps2 for the tittle of greatest system... right now its too soon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crom View Post

4.) the nintendo seal of approval set a standard in gaming used to this very day,
    Oh yes:

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

:::wipes tear away:::

That was pretty good.

That seal meant one thing, that Nintendo allowed the game to be released on the system. It was *NOT* a seal saying that the game was "well made".

"Total Recall" and "The Uncanny X-men" both have the seal, and both games are excrement wrapped in plastic.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Insert Coin (Level 0) adam_devry's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    Ok I know Im going to get alot of people who disagree with me but Im going to ask it anyway. Ok why do people think that cars is one of the best forms of transportation ever. Now I know henry ford's assembly line saved the transprotation world but was is really that good. Some cars are great but lets say outta the 700 cars it has well say about 200 of them are worth drving thats not even half. Also about 100 or so cars were sports cars. I think cars did not do a really great thing until the flying car. Besides most the cars sucked many needed gas to run and that killed my drinving. I could not drive a car with out gas in it of it stalling half way. So my ? is did anyone who went throught this get a mule instead of the car?
    ok good point if you got a ford car and it came with some good things like cd player,rims, and i nice paint job but the air stopped working, the transmission kept going on you and your starter kept going out. Everyone has a ford and likes the maker but your ford keep messing up is your next car going to be a ford. I don't think so

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adam_devry View Post
    Also about 100 or so games were sports
    The thing is, even sports games were fun back then. Back on the Nes I played sports games of sports I would have never been interested in real life(hockey, tennis, etc) because the gameplay made me take that first step. As a matter of fact, the Nes is the last system in which I regularly played(and enjoyed) sports games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) adam_devry's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

forget opinions... lets break it down...

1.) only 2 systems have out sold the nes

ps1 and ps2

2.) nes saved the video game console market...

3.) every nes game that gets redone over and over started here

5.) it came out with A/V outputs, this might sound like nothing, but consider that av outputs didnt become standard untill 2 generations of consoles later... thats insane...

5.) the games... before nes we were all playing atari 2600's were almost all the games were about high scores... then nes came out, and gave birth to games with storylines and endings...

did any other gaming system after the nes trendsend gaming? no, they just took the mold nes made and gave it better graphics and sound...

I think that in 5-10 years though ppl are going to have to consider the ps2 for the tittle of greatest system... right now its too soon

What about the cd systems that came out before ps1 and ps2. like 3DO Atari jag, and sega cd. Should they be named the greatest systems cause they did cd games first. What about the dreamcast for being the first to use triggers instead of bumpers.

I also disagree with your PS2 statement I think PS1 is the best. It was a system that brought us great titles like twisted metal, Parasite eve, Spyro, Resident Evil and Silent hill.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What about the cd systems that came out before ps1 and ps2. like 3DO Atari jag, and sega cd. Should they be named the greatest systems cause they did cd games first.
    Actually, that would be the PC-Engine back in '88 with the CD addon. And yes, it's one of the greatest systems of that era

What I'm surprised at is none of the Euro gamers have chimed in to tell you (us, whatever)... Nintendo didn't save the video game market in Europe, with the NES. NES didn't save the world, it only saved North America

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gamelord2000

Another reason why people loved the nes was that almost everybody had one. You wanted to go to your buddies house, he had a nintendo. You could trade games with your friends and rent games from the stores. Nobody I knew had a Sega Master System, it was all Nintendo. Also to me 90% of the games I owned got played over and over again. Nowadays I get tired of a game less than 5 minutes into it. So yes, the games had huge replay value.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nice link...thanks for the share!...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

cds are just a medium, thats doesnt trendsend anything...

games were played on floppy disks b4 carts, thats just evolution...

the seal of approval may have let a few sub par games through the cracks but compared to what atari let ppl do it was ok...

the funny thing is back when I was 8 years old playing these so called shitty games I never thought of them as shit, am I the only one? I had nothing else to compare them to so they were just hard games... sure by todays standard of course they are shit

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you don't see why the NES is regarded so high, you must be trying to miss it. It may not be regarded high to you, but everyone should be able to figure out why it is highly regarded by most. I guess if you had a faulty system that froze everytime you played, that would kill your fun. But come on, there are tons of ways to fix this problem so it isn't an issue.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

It all depends on at which point you came into gaming, and how you view the stuff that came before you IMO.

I'm old enough to have been introduced to the 2600 first, and love that as I do, what came after it were what games should really be, rather than what I wanted them to be.

I liked Combat and Home Run, but I wanted a version where I could play on my own.

I loved Adventure, but wasn't really afraid of ducks and wanted a version where I'd be facing what *looked* like dragons.

I loved arcade games, but wished they could feel more like the original.

The NES gave me that, plus games I'd never been able to *dream* of on the VCS, like Final Fantasy and SMB.

Sure the SNES era *looked* better, but it didn't up the ante for me like the NES era did. As such, I tend to play more NES games than SNES ones these days.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

ok good point if you got a ford car and it came with some good things like cd player,rims, and i nice paint job but the air stopped working, the transmission kept going on you and your starter kept going out. Everyone has a ford and likes the maker but your ford keep messing up is your next car going to be a ford. I don't think so
    lol'd

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

NES beat the shit out of what came before it. The graphics, sound and control of the great NES games blew Atari and Sega stuff away in the early to mid 80's. And then there's the fact that the greatest videogame maker of all time was on-board with Nintendo. MIYAMOTO... Best 8-bit

Then the Genesis came along and did the exact same thing the NES did. Best 16-bit

Then the Playstation came along. Best 32-bit

Then N64. Best 64-bit

Then the PS2. Best 128-bit

Last edited by Kevincal; 07-06-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    iycon

I started console gaming with th Odessy2 and Atari2600. Those went to the wayside around 1984 or '85 and I was into gamming on the Apple 2 and Mac playing The King's Quest series and many early EA stuff. When I was in high school around '88, my buddy got a NES but games seemed kinda boring to me and it did'nt hold my intrest.

It was the Sega Genesis that got me interested in console gaming again in '92. My first Nintendo product was the N64, which I got on launch day.

About 5 years ago my wife saw a NES at GameCrazy and got it for me, because she had one when she was young and I was starting my retro collecting.

I respect the NES for what it represents but I just don't play it that often. Most of my Nintendo game playing was done at Arcades, even my first exposure to a Mario World game was at an Arcade cabinet. I wish Nintendo would release a compillation disk of their Arcade versions of games.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Then the Playstation came along. Best 32-bit

Then N64. Best 64-bit

N64 doesn't have it's own era! It's part of the PS1/Saturn era. Pick one of the other(or just remove the n64 altogether ).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

the seal of approval may have let a few sub par games through the cracks but compared to what atari let ppl do it was ok...
    According to Adam Devry, 200 good games, and 500 shit games on NES, so much for that seal...Anyway, the seal's purpose was already explained.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    NES beat the shit out of what came before it. The graphics, sound and control of the great NES games blew Atari and Sega stuff away in the early to mid 80's. And then there's the fact that the greatest videogame maker of all time was on-board with Nintendo. MIYAMOTO...

You mean the best video game maker Nintendo had...he's by far NOT the best video game maker of all time (Always making the same game over and over again does not make one a video game making god).
    As for control, the less said about a wrong way 'round pad, the better. Nasty
    Last edited by tom; 07-06-2009 at 01:04 PM.