Thread: MMMC #15 - The Cliffhanger - Edward Randy (JPN)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Default MMMC #15 - The Cliffhanger - Edward Randy (JPN)

Welcome back everybody. Well, I was beaten by Ed Oscuro last week, so he gets to choose the game this week, and he's picked a very interesting game.

Club Rules

01. You do not need to sign up for the club. If you want to participate, simply download the game of the week and post about it!

02. At the end of the week, I will randomly select a game from a list of nominations.

03. The current MAME Club Pick of the Week can be found every Monday stickied at the top of the Arcade Alley.

This week's game is The Cliffhanger - Edward Randy (JPN set).

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7691

- Note: the pic is from the main "World" ROM and not the JPN ROM which should be played this week...there is (it seems) a difference.

I'm sure Ed O. will give us a more detailed write up later, but here's what I've got. Ed Randy is basically an Indiana Jones-ish type character. The game itself is a side-scrolling beat (or whip)-em-up, but a couple things set it apart. For one thing, the levels take place on moving vehicles. This first level on the biplane wings is just an insane way to start out.

Another interesting thing, I was curious as to why Ed picked the Japan set of the game...well, I tried the parent rom (which will be required to play the game), and the first level is completely different, fighting on motorboats instead of biplanes (is it a completely different game, or just a level shuffle?)!

And finally, when you get up to the level boss...the game changes from side scrolling, to IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US perspective. A wild little game.

Remember, we're specifically playing the Japanese set (so Download both roms).

Our ROM sources...

Flack will be hosting at http://www.robohara.com/mameclub/

and 2DSkillz will have the games ROMs at http://www.retrogoggles.com/

Previous MMMC choices: Jump Coaster, Rampart, Jungler, Ninja Emaki, Port Man, Psycho Soldier, Metamoqester, Gunbarich, Sengoku (series), Snacks'n Jackson, Metro-Cross, Moon Shuttle, The Real Ghostbusters, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, Black Widow.

Have a great week.
    Last edited by scooterb23; 07-13-2009 at 01:08 AM.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final score- 593,201.

Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull totally ripped off the cliff chase scene from this movie. I'm partially kidding, but you do have to admit there are some similarities.

As for the game? Fast and Confusing. There were so many different things moving on the screen at a time, I often didn't know where to jump or what was an enemy. My favorite part was the desert chase, where you got to drive the car. There was also some innovative moving effects, which seem unique to the game.

I played the Japanese set, but probably don't plan on playing the "World" ROM set. I actually plan on revisiting Black Widow in a little while, and see if I can improve on my weak score. Thanks again Scoot for that pick, as I really enjoyed it. My favorite game so far in the short time I've been doing this.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

This game broke my computer last night! I was playing along, dying like a mofo, when all of a sudden...the video goes to black. When it came back, my computer didn't recognize my video driver!

I got it fixed, but man, that was annoying. As for the game itself? It's fun, and I think the whole "battling on moving planes / boats" is unique, and really gives the game a frenetic pace. At times the controls seem a bit sluggish, like I REALLY want to jump, and Ed Randy REALLY wants to stand there and get shot in the face. That's kind of annoying. Overall, a good take on the side scrolling beat-em-up genre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Final score- 593,201.
    Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull totally ripped off the cliff chase scene from this movie. I'm partially kidding, but you do have to admit there are some similarities.
    I was reminded of a lot of scenes from Indiana Jones movies while playing this game. And while using a whip too. It was almost more fun pretending you were Indy.

I didn't notice any slowdown or lag but I didn't really play it too long either. Maybe that happens more later on. Overall though, this was a pretty fun game. Especially for a beat-em-up. It was unique enough that I didn't feel as though I had already played a hundred times before like most of them of that era.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Is there anybody alive out there? Only 3 replies so far this week? This is a really neat game! Also, one I can't say ever made it to a console, at least that we saw here in the US.

Ah well, mama said there'd be weeks like this. What should we play next week? Any nominations out there?

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I tried the game out a few days ago. I've never seen or heard of it until now and I gotta say, this is a pretty cool but tough game. This would've been one hell of a quarter muncher back in the day.