Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Default Sega CD Power Adapter

I recently got a Sega CD from a guy on Craigslist along with both a model 1 and 2 Genesis. The only cables in the lot however were one set of cables for a Genesis, nothing for the Sega CD. Before I resort to going out and buying a power cable for the thing, is there anything that is compatible that I might have lying around?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pezcore343 View Post
    I recently got a Sega CD from a guy on Craigslist along with both a model 1 and 2 Genesis. The only cables in the lot however were one set of cables for a Genesis, nothing for the Sega CD. Before I resort to going out and buying a power cable for the thing, is there anything that is compatible that I might have lying around?
    Ever heard of the last forum thing at the bottom?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The model 1 Sega Genesis, uses the exact same power supply as the Sega CD. Look on your Sega Model 1 power supply to check the exact specs. Look at your power cords around the house to see if any are close to the Model 1, and try and sub them for it. Whatever you do, don't use a NES power supply, because AC and DC power shouldn't mix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Thanks Domestic, I almost tried the NES one after reading that that and the TG-16 supplies should work, but I checked for any replies here first. Guess I have to go hunt one down.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some here have had luck with the NES power supply, while others have fried the Sega CD. It's your call.

I bought one earlier this year, and resisted the urge to try the NES and waited until I found a better replacement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DO NOT USE THE NES POWER SUPPLY.

That is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

walmart and radio shack also have universal power supplies. i bought one for the original xbox wireless bridge and have had no problems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Also this may sound like a stupid question, and somewhat unrelated to the topic, but when using a Sega CD I'm assuming I can't have a Genny cart plugged in right? I've never used one of these beasts before so I'm just assuming that I just power on the Genesis with just a CD game inserted.

More on topic, I can't find any suitable replacements. I guess I'll have to go out tomorrow and buy an adapter. I heard a PSOne adapter would work, didn't fit. I heard NES would work, wrong I/O. Why can't everything electronic have universal AC adapters?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pezcore343 View Post
    Also this may sound like a stupid question, and somewhat unrelated to the topic, but when using a Sega CD I'm assuming I can't have a Genny cart plugged in right? I've never used one of these beasts before so I'm just assuming that I just power on the Genesis with just a CD game inserted.

More on topic, I can't find any suitable replacements. I guess I'll have to go out tomorrow and buy an adapter. I heard a PSOne adapter would work, didn't fit. I heard NES would work, wrong I/O. Why can't everything electronic have universal AC adapters?

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken you need to remove any carts before you try a CD. I think the genesis reverts to the cart slot by default.

It's going to be hard to find a replacement for the Sega CD at a retailer. You may need to find a DP'er with one, or try eBay. Although I would guess DP would be cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Master System, Genesis Model 1, SegaCD, and *I THINK* Game Gear power supplies should all work.

DO NOT Plug in NES or SNES. You will fry it, and you WILL be sad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

First -- yes, the Sega CD only boots if you don't have a cart in. The one exception is of course the Sega CD Backup RAM Cart; if you want to use it to save to, have it in when you turn the system on, and the Sega CD will boot as normal but games that support it will let you use it for saving.

Quote Originally Posted by aclbandit View Post
    Master System, Genesis Model 1, SegaCD, and *I THINK* Game Gear power supplies should all work.

DO NOT Plug in NES or SNES. You will fry it, and you WILL be sad.
    You don't need to worry about the SNES, its power supply only fits in the SNES and nothing else... I think the Japanese SFC uses the same power supply as the Famicom, but in the US, the two are completely different. The SNES has a distinctive grey connector that you plug into the system... and it outputs DC, not AC like the NES one did. 10V DC 0.85A, specifically. Not that it matters, given that the plug won't fit in any Sega system I know of.

Anyway... US Sega power supplies.

MK-1602 or MK-1602-1 -- Sega Genesis 1, Sega CD 1 and 2. This power supply may also work with Master Systems -- they are very similar to SMS power supplies, which are model 3025. The MK-1602 is 9 volt DC 1.2 amp, the MK-1602-1 10 volt DC 1.2 amp, and the 3025 9 volt DC 1 amp. All have the same kind of plug. I'm not sure why they have two different models of the Genesis 1/Sega CD power supply, one outputting 9V and the other 10V, but either should work the same. I've got a 1602-1, it works the same as a regular 1602.

MK-2103 -- Sega Genesis 2, Sega 32X, Sega Game Gear. The Game Gear power supply is indeed identical to the Genesis 2/32X one, if they actually did sell them separately, so just use a Genesis 2 power supply for it, they're quite common and the GG really needs that power, given its battery life. Output 10V DC 0.85A

MK-1479 -- Sega (Majesco) Genesis 3. 10V DC 0.3A. Not used by any other systems. Interestingly, the Majesco Game Gear (2000 system re-release) manual warns you to not use a Master System, Master System II, or Genesis 3 power supply with the Game Gear, as the Majesco Game Gear uses the same power supply as the Sega ones. Oddly, while it does say use model 2103, it doesn't say that that is the Genesis 2/32X power supply... or not to use a Genesis 1/Sega CD power supply either. Why mention the SMS but not the Genesis 1? Odd.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 07-07-2009 at 03:05 AM.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    First -- yes, the Sega CD only boots if you don't have a cart in. The one exception is of course the Sega CD Backup RAM Cart; if you want to use it to save to, have it in when you turn the system on, and the Sega CD will boot as normal but games that support it will let you use it for saving.

You don't need to worry about the SNES, its power supply only fits in the SNES and nothing else... I think the Japanese SFC uses the same power supply as the Famicom, but in the US, the two are completely different. The SNES has a distinctive grey connector that you plug into the system... and it outputs DC, not AC like the NES one did. 10V DC 0.85A, specifically. Not that it matters, given that the plug won't fit in any Sega system I know of.

Anyway... US Sega power supplies.

MK-1602 or MK-1602-1 -- Sega Genesis 1, Sega CD 1 and 2. This power supply may also work with Master Systems -- they are very similar to SMS power supplies, which are model 3025. The MK-1602 is 9 volt DC 1.2 amp, the MK-1602-1 10 volt DC 1.2 amp, and the 3025 9 volt DC 1 amp. All have the same kind of plug. I'm not sure why they have two different models of the Genesis 1/Sega CD power supply, one outputting 9V and the other 10V, but either should work the same. I've got a 1602-1, it works the same as a regular 1602.

MK-2103 -- Sega Genesis 2, Sega 32X, Sega Game Gear. The Game Gear power supply is indeed identical to the Genesis 2/32X one, if they actually did sell them separately, so just use a Genesis 2 power supply for it, they're quite common and the GG really needs that power, given its battery life. Output 10V DC 0.85A

MK-1479 -- Sega (Majesco) Genesis 3. 10V DC 0.3A. Not used by any other systems. Interestingly, the Majesco Game Gear (2000 system re-release) manual warns you to not use a Master System, Master System II, or Genesis 3 power supply with the Game Gear, as the Majesco Game Gear uses the same power supply as the Sega ones. Oddly, while it does say use model 2103, it doesn't say that that is the Genesis 2/32X power supply... or not to use a Genesis 1/Sega CD power supply either. Why mention the SMS but not the Genesis 1? Odd.
    SNES and Virtual Boy actually share an AC adapter. But other than that, your descriptions of which AC adapters go with what are spot on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You're quite right, I forgot about that... it is true that the VB can't just use a stock SNES adaptor, though, you need the AC Adapter Tap for the Virtual Boy. It's a little annoying, because I have a Virtual Boy, and a SNES, but can't use my VB with AC power because I need that tap, and they're a bit costly (and you can't use the Japanese ones, those use Japanese SFC power supplies), and the system's battery life is poor. I'll get one someday...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excuse the necro, but if someone plugged in the NES power supply once, is there still a chance the SEGA CD isn't fried?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kokonoe View Post
    Excuse the necro, but if someone plugged in the NES power supply once, is there still a chance the SEGA CD isn't fried?
    If you're lucky, the fuse in the Sega CD blew and protected the components.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    So if the fuse blew, would I have to repair something?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yes.
    A blown fuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'm going to hope for the best, then. I did input the NES AC into my Genesis before without knowing the repercussions and it still worked fine, maybe it'll be the case here.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Yes.
    A blown fuse.
    I can't stop smiling.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I repaired a sega cd with a blown fuse once, its surprisingly easy.