Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Any rare PC games?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if you guys catalog your PC games, but all of mine are listed at RFGeneration. I've been wanting to go through everything to see what's rare/valuable, or abandonware. I know that I've had to submit new entries for quite a few of them, and I'm the only one who owns a few of them on the site, so I'm sure I at least have some obscure stuff.

Anybody else have a link like mine? Might make it easier to see what's rare and what isn't.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fromfirst2last's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

I suspect it's worth at least $60 - which seems to be a good number for any fairly rare PC game - but it could be a lot more. The better place to ask would be some of the Wing Commander fan forums out there, like at http://www.wcnews.com/ .
    Thank you very much, on my way to the forums to see what they think , will keep yahs posted :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I don't know if you guys catalog your PC games, but all of mine are listed at RFGeneration. I've been wanting to go through everything to see what's rare/valuable, or abandonware. I know that I've had to submit new entries for quite a few of them, and I'm the only one who owns a few of them on the site, so I'm sure I at least have some obscure stuff.
    I was about to say that Qin might be kind of rare, but there are cheap copies of it all over eBay.

Did someone already mention the X-Files game?

I had no problem selling some old golf expansion packs a few years ago, even though they didn't actually fetch very much. This Original Links Solid Gold Edition of yours might get something.

I never actually saw the Mega Man X PC ports myself. And speaking of Capcom ports, I imagine Puzzle Fighter PC might be on the rare side too.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was about to say that Qin might be kind of rare, but there are cheap copies of it all over eBay.
    Yeah, there's a copy sitting in my local Salvation Army. I found my copy in a Daggerfall box that I bought because it was full of game manuals, didn't expect to find a game in there until I got in the car and started going through it. The manual is full of Daggerfall notes, so it's a bit too odd to sell. I haven't played it, but I believe it's a Myst clone. It's a rule of thumb that those aren't usually valuable.

Did someone already mention the X-Files game?
    It's not that rare. I recently saw a copy in a big box of X-Files stuff at the flea market. I wanted to buy the artbook that was in there, but would have had to spend $20 for the whole box, when it was just poor-condition magazines, fanclub stuff, and a copy of the game. It's also showed up at least twice in the finds threads, last few months, never for very much. I think the X-Files fans already have copies. Unrelated - it's fun to recut.

I had no problem selling some old golf expansion packs a few years ago, even though they didn't actually fetch very much. This Original Links Solid Gold Edition of yours might get something.
    I'd be happy to get rid of it. Never was into golf games...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    That box artwork is really bland.

It fits the game well (at least the description on the back), but it is really uninspiring.
    Well they do seem to be completely unrelated from what I can see. It looks like someone probably used the name to try and make a quick buck. Have you tried playing it or listing it on ebay?

On another note, do prototypes of PC games have any value? Specifically, something like Jazz Jackrabbit 3, which never came out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atm55 View Post
    On another note, do prototypes of PC games have any value? Specifically, something like Jazz Jackrabbit 3, which never came out.

Perhaps, but I don't know if anyone really collects them. They don't really exist like they do with console games though, usually they exist as code and maybe backed up on a disk somewhere at the programmers house ao they don't really pop up.

Jazz 3 was eventually released, the alpha build code and stuff. It was pretty incomplete.

Sometimes though I run across earlier builds of games - those that were sent to reviewers or made for a trade show or something. But they don't seem to sell for much, leading me to believe not many collect them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I haven't played it, but I believe it's a Myst clone. It's a rule of thumb that those aren't usually valuable.
    Eh? Some of those hyper-obscure adventure games mentioned previously might be classified as Myst clones.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

does anyone else chuckle every time they see this thread title day after day?
    Autobots. Roll out.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I never actually saw the Mega Man X PC ports myself.
    Now that's one I do still have, even though it's disc only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Valuable PC games? Wow, check this out:

Commaner Keen boxed

I bid a decent amount on it, had no idea it would go this high! And still 2 days left, insane. I knew it was very valuable but still, up to $216

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    24 NASCAR 2003
    Should be NASCAR Racing 2003 Season. Pretty sure EA made one called NASCAR 2003, it's not the expensive one though. The reason for the high price is since it was Papyrus' last NASCAR game they released the code for it and all kinds of mods have been made for it, still going strong today. I think the price is more of a demand thing because everyone who has a copy wants to hold on to it. I've been looking to no avail for a copy for about 2 years though. I seem to remember reading it doesn't work on Vista though.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

You mean those stupid golf games are worth money?! I passed on a Mac version of that Access Golf Gold game last Saturday! Aaaaaaaaaargh )($#@)&@#$

Also, that Jazz Jackrabbit's Poker Broker game is apparently a standard Windows 3.1 poker game. I found a screenie but it's hosted on a site that has illegal game downloads so I won't link to it.

Edit: phreakindee, that Commander Keen game is worth so much because it simply is not available ANYWHERE for sale anymore. You can get the others off Steam, but this one? Forget about it. I've been trying to get a legit copy somewhere for a while now.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 08-10-2009 at 07:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by phreakindee View Post
    Valuable PC games? Wow, check this out:

Commaner Keen boxed

I bid a decent amount on it, had no idea it would go this high! And still 2 days left, insane. I knew it was very valuable but still, up to $216
    Oh my, a complete boxed copy of Aliens Ate My Babysitter? I thought they didn't finish that game...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    Oh my, a complete boxed copy of Aliens Ate My Babysitter? I thought they didn't finish that game...
    It's downloadable from a good many places, if you don't have compunctions about that sort of thing. Quite possibly the best game in the series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    It was finished, just not released by id. It was the only Keen game with copy protection as well!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's the story on that copy then? Boot, repro?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    What's the story on that copy then? Boot, repro?
    It came out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command..._Babysitter.21

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting topic, fortunately I got most all the older PC games I actually wanted years and years ago when they were all (mostly) still really cheap. I guess there has been a retro PC gaming boom in recent years judging by eBay prices.

Here is a curious question:
    Does a Quake v1.01 CD have any value?

If anyone recalls back in the day there was an opportunity to order the game directly from id Software about a month before it hit store shelves. You didn't get the retail box, but you got the game disc and the standard cardboard case. The interesting part is the version of Quake on the CD is v1.01, where as retail is v1.06 (IIRC). There aren't any major differences, some lighting things here and there I think and not much more.

Probably more than a novelty item than anything, but maybe someone here is familiar with this?

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Some interesting ended auctions of note for some previously mentioned titles (not sure if those links will work or how long).

Grim Fandango (signed) ... $721.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280367806689

Secret of Monkey Island (sealed) ... $286.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=360174607950

Cherry (Level 1) HurricaneAndrew's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snes_collector View Post
    Should be NASCAR Racing 2003 Season. Pretty sure EA made one called NASCAR 2003, it's not the expensive one though. The reason for the high price is since it was Papyrus' last NASCAR game they released the code for it and all kinds of mods have been made for it, still going strong today. I think the price is more of a demand thing because everyone who has a copy wants to hold on to it. I've been looking to no avail for a copy for about 2 years though. I seem to remember reading it doesn't work on Vista though.
    NASCAR Racing 2003 is, infact, fairly rare. It happens that EA SPorts got exclusive rights to make NASCAR games in early 2003, forcing Sierra/Papyrus to stop making their version about halfway through the run.

Also, NASCAR Racing 4 and NASCAR Racing 2002 are compatible with the online racing leagues, not just NASCAR Racing 2003.
    I collect for: Odyssey2, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis, Dreamcast, PSX, and TI-99/4A