Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Any rare PC games?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Relatively Rare

Im proud to have started collecting consoles and games recently, but one gaming area I've never really looked at is PC games (I guess because I spend most of my time playing on my other 13 consoles ). So I went back and took a look, and found that the few PC games I own are the rarest ones I own XD. Anyways, although they aren't super rare, I've had them for a while and are relatively hard to come by- Paraworld and Empire Earth (which is a Sierra game which, as already mentioned, can be pretty valuable). So yeah .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Xepic911 View Post
    (which is a Sierra game which, as already mentioned, can be pretty valuable)
    No; Sierra's adventure games can be pretty valuable. Undistinguished RTS games, not so much.

Heck, you can buy a brand new boxed copy at http://www.mastertronic.com/productS...oductLabelID=1 .
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    No; Sierra's adventure games can be pretty valuable. Undistinguished RTS games, not so much.
    Actually several of Sierra's RTS games are valuable too, and several of their adventure games are worth very little even when complete. Search for Civil War Generals 2, and for comparison King's Quest V. It really depends on the titles and editions rather than just the genre. Most Sierra games aren't worth that much though.

And comparing the value of European PC releases doesn't count, console collectors pay attention to the region for their games and so do PC collectors. The US versions are usually worth much more than the European releases.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Actually several of Sierra's RTS games are valuable too, and several of their adventure games are worth very little even when complete. Search for Civil War Generals 2, and for comparison King's Quest V. It really depends on the titles and editions rather than just the genre. Most Sierra games aren't worth that much though.

And comparing the value of European PC releases doesn't count, console collectors pay attention to the region for their games and so do PC collectors. The US versions are usually worth much more than the European releases.
    And just to add on to what Gameguy said...

To anyone new or interested in PC collecting:

Because of the nature of the PC, most games are released over and over every few years or so, either in compilations or in new formats (like CD, DVD, steam, gog etc etc).
    The value and rarity of PC games comes from owning the ORIGINAL US release, and not just that, but also usually only if the games are complete in box with manual etc etc. This is mainly because very few people held onto the old PC game boxes mostly due to their size and bulk (hence the "Big Box" moniker) as well as shotty material (it is common to find these cardboard boxes that have begun to bloat around the sides, however this rarely diminishes their value but instead increases the value of a perfect box astronomically).
    There are always exclusions to this rule, as some compilations can be very rare and expensive, like the Wizardry Archives (easily over $100), and rarely pops up on ebay.

So while pretty much ever Sierra adventure game has been rereleased in one way or another, an original big box release is rare and valuable.

Also watch out for Collector's and Limited editions (usually of RPG games), even as early as 2002 there were limited/collector's editions of RPG games released *only* online, making them rather rare. A good example of this is the Neverwinter Nights Collector's Edition, a *complete* copy of which can fetch over 100$ *easily* although there are usually a couple on ebay (cheaper ones are usually missing some parts). Make sure to do your research and find out what makes these editions complete, it is not uncommon for them to include D&D dice, posters, medallions, coins, stones, tarrot cards and even notepads! in addition to the common maps/manuals that they all come with.

Going further back in time, like for example the Gold Box AD&D games of the early 90s, while popular today, were never huge sellers as they are really a niche product, so there are really few around in complete and good condition.

To make things worse (or more exciting?) keep in mind that in the 80s and even (but to a lesser extent) in the early 90s, there were several competing PCs in the market. While the PC today is basically a windows machine, back then you had games released for several 'personal computers' and hardware revisions. It is not uncommon to find a game, like the Ultimas and the Sierra adventure games, to to have many versions like Tandy, IBM DOS, Apple II, Amiga, Commodore 64 and so on. Some versions cost more than others. While generally speaking the IBM-compatible DOS version is the most sought out one, sometimes an Amiga or other version like FM Towns Marty can cost hundreds of dollars more, due to their extreme rarity these [and those] days. This is all in addition to there being sometimes more than one physical media version of a game, like a 5.25" floppy and 3.5" floppy version - although this doesnt always impact a price, it depends who you get into a bidding war with, some people prefer one over the other, and because of their rarity, will bid highly.

This is all a bit overwhelming at first no doubt. Old school PC collecting is not for the faint of heart (or for the thin of wallet) as some games will take years and hundreds of dollars to track down (or years and just a couple dollars, depending on your luck).

To me, it is all worth it. While a copy of Chrono Trigger may be pricey and sought after, it isnt rare and most everyone who wants a copy can get it - at any time you can find over 100 for sale online. While a copy of even a popular game like Ultima II is *very* difficult to track down. Sometimes a game can be popular, like Baldurs Gate for instance, but can have a version that is very little know [Baldurs Gate God Edition in this case] and while a copy or two can pop up online, it is virtually never complete.

A big box PC collection is not only more valuable (than most other game collecting), it is also more fulfilling and meaningful. It is undeniably more challenging to assemble and requires a little more knowledge. As you can imagine, it will get only more difficult with time. I would also like to add that PC games are valuable not because they are rare, but because they are good games. A rare, old, complete big box RPG may be worth very little simply because the game isnt very good - something you dont see much in console collection where there are tons of extremely valuable games which are pure shit.

My advice? Do your research and enjoy, holding some of these games in your hand is quite moving when you think that that particular game launched or revolutionized a genre or a game mechanic or launched the careers of industry legends. Some of these items are not only collectibles, they are unique artifacts of our hobby - be it gaming or computing.

SO good luck and most importantly, have fun!

-Vlad
    Last edited by postulio; 04-02-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is an old thread but it would be awesome if people would start it back up and post awesome rare games that they have for the PC.

I think collecting is one of the best hobbies to have (though I'm probably biased). Collecting PC games is as if you're collecting artifacts of history. The only downside is the money that's involved. I've recently bought a $350 and a $400 game I'm not made of money man! Jeez, it can be an expensive hobby. Especially when you're dealing with rare items and when you see it pop up sometimes you don't have time to sleep on it for a month before deciding to spend the money on it. It's a do it or die type thing. But well worth it in the end if you have a passion for it. Gotta do what you enjoy in life...money won't be there in the end so might as well do what you enjoy (and of course be smart with money at the same time).

So go ahead and post some games that you are proud to have in your collection and state what condition it's in. This isn't something to brag about but rather something to share with others who enjoy the hobby as well. As long as you love your collection then no need to compare with others or brag to others. So lets see what have!

I'll start it off. One of the games I'm proud to own is the first edition of King's Quest 1. The one in the grey plastic box. I got it a while back on ebay for $100 BIN which I thought was a great price! It's complete with everything and a few smudges which should come off with a gentle cleaning since it comes in a plastic box and not cardboard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tyalmath
    Steam
    Tyalmath

I've amassed quite a large PC game collection over the years. Built mostly from yard sale/thrift store finds. It is the platform I enjoy collecting for (and playing on) the most.

Looking back through this thread, it's funny to see the extent of my Cyan collection four years ago. It's grown quite substantially since then. Still looking for that Cosmic Osmo longbox, though... (hi tom)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What games did you buy for 350-400?

Quote Originally Posted by PCollector View Post
    This is an old thread but it would be awesome if people would start it back up and post awesome rare games that they have for the PC.

I think collecting is one of the best hobbies to have (though I'm probably biased). Collecting PC games is as if you're collecting artifacts of history. The only downside is the money that's involved. I've recently bought a $350 and a $400 game I'm not made of money man! Jeez, it can be an expensive hobby. Especially when you're dealing with rare items and when you see it pop up sometimes you don't have time to sleep on it for a month before deciding to spend the money on it. It's a do it or die type thing. But well worth it in the end if you have a passion for it. Gotta do what you enjoy in life...money won't be there in the end so might as well do what you enjoy (and of course be smart with money at the same time).

So go ahead and post some games that you are proud to have in your collection and state what condition it's in. This isn't something to brag about but rather something to share with others who enjoy the hobby as well. As long as you love your collection then no need to compare with others or brag to others. So lets see what have!

I'll start it off. One of the games I'm proud to own is the first edition of King's Quest 1. The one in the grey plastic box. I got it a while back on ebay for $100 BIN which I thought was a great price! It's complete with everything and a few smudges which should come off with a gentle cleaning since it comes in a plastic box and not cardboard.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tyalmath, I love collecting for PC more than anything. I have a couple more collections but PC is my passion. It's just a shame it's underrated. It's hard to find collectors (even online) who are into PC colelcting. Most go for the SNES or another console. Which is awesome...there are many reasons why old console game collecting is amazing. I just wish more shared a passion for PC games.

Postulio, spending that kind of money (for me that's a whole lot) doesn't happen often in my world. But for $350 I got the 1986 Fellowship of the Ring. Unopened with a scratch on the front. It's very hard to find...almost none existant online. Though you can find youtube videos of it being played or get the game on abandonware. I'm trying to get ahold of all the old Lord of the Rings games.

The $400 game I got was The Neverhood unopened in mint condition. What makes it worth alot to me is that it's in Japanese (and I'm learning Japanese). There were Japanese versions made for the PS1 but it wasn't made for the PC. I'm not sure how many there are or if this is the only one. It came from Doug TenNapel's (the creater of The Neverhood) own collection. I talked to him personally to make sure it was legit and that it was actually was in his possession originally. I should probably try to find out how many were made. This was a childhood favorite of mine and the fact that it's in Japanese and being extremely rare sealed the deal for me. It's definitely a gem in my collection.

There's not many games I would spend that kind of money on....though lately my collecting addiction has been growing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tyalmath
    Steam
    Tyalmath

Doug had three of those Japanese versions of The Neverhood listed as rewards on his recent Kickstarter, is that where you got yours? I'm still bummed about missing out on the Chunk-of-Monkey bundle.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Just adding a thought:

I recently read about a 7th Guest spinoff called Uncle Henry's Playhouse which apparently only 20 or so copies were printed, ever. So perhaps we've found our Holy Grail of PC gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tyalmath
    Steam
    Tyalmath

Supposedly, it only sold 27 copies in the US. More were sold elsewhere. There were much more than that actually printed though. Some guy has been selling brand new boxed copies on ebay and amazon for around $10 - $15 over the last several months... not many takers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tyalmath View Post
    Doug had three of those Japanese versions of The Neverhood listed as rewards on his recent Kickstarter, is that where you got yours? I'm still bummed about missing out on the Chunk-of-Monkey bundle.
    Very interesting. That's not where I got mine. I got mine from someone who bought it from Doug then sold it to me. If I knew he was on kickstarter I would have been the first in line to get the best reward I wonder if I would have spent as much money..... hmmm.

Watch, a bunch of PC Japanese versions will start being released and make mine worth very little.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Just adding a thought:

I recently read about a 7th Guest spinoff called Uncle Henry's Playhouse which apparently only 20 or so copies were printed, ever. So perhaps we've found our Holy Grail of PC gaming.
    Didn't see your post before I posted my reply. I'm in the middle of playing the 7th Guest. That may very well be the Holy Grail....though I think my personal Holy Grail would be the first Sierra game, Mystery House.

Also there's a PC game being sold on ebay for 16 or 17 thousand dollars. I forget what it's called but if you type "PC game" then sort by highest price first you'll see it. Not sure why it's priced so high because i don't think it's that old.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PCollector View Post
    Also there's a PC game being sold on ebay for 16 or 17 thousand dollars. I forget what it's called but if you type "PC game" then sort by highest price first you'll see it. Not sure why it's priced so high because i don't think it's that old.
    That's a loose copy of The Filmmaker by Unimatrix Productions. It's some independent game from 2010. While I can't seem to find any copies available for sale anywhere else, I don't think anyone would pay $16,000 for it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are tons of PC game collectors, with communities scatter throughout the web (do some searching).

The only real 'holy grail' PC games are ones that created a genre or changed gaming forever, and we are talking original releases here. Things like Akalabeth and Colossal Cave Adventure. However these are super old and 'rare' doesnt even begin to describe it.

Since anyone can make any game they want and release it on PC (in any quantity), there are probably thousands upon thousands of obscure "rare" games you can find, yet they aren't worth diddly squat.

What may mean a lot to one collector, another won't even keep for free. I am sure those Japanese Neverhood versions are sought after by Neverhood fans but it isn't like having a Nintendo World Championship cart, where it is highly sought after by every serious NES collector. This may be actually why PC collecting scares off so many people. A game on auction today may fetch $400 because three interested parties noticed it, a month later it may sell for $50 because only one has seen it. Only really popular franchises (like Ultima) are always monitored and sought after by many many people.

Because of the [relative] lack of organization of PC releases, it is difficult to assign any kind of value to the truly rare and obscure stuff.

PC collectors tend to collect either stuff that has a personal meaning to them (favorite genres or series or nostalgic games from their childhood), or revolutionary milestone games (like the two I first mentioned).
    Last edited by postulio; 07-11-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

True to that last piece youn wrote but also scarcity due to other forces like a company failing/bought out and limited runs can do it too keeping high price and low selection possible. Look at wing commander kilrathi saga especially when it is still complete in the box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

NFL Blitz 2000 is looking scarce. Don't think I knew about a PC version until hours ago.
    Last edited by theclaw; 07-19-2013 at 08:30 AM.
    Lum fan.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Don't know if you're looking for strictly Windows-based or also DOS, but if you're a fan of Doctor Who, there are a couple really old computer games based on the show. One is called "Dalek Attack" for DOS, and there's a Windows one called "Destiny of the Doctors". Neither game is particularly great, and I'm certain they don't hold up after all these years, but if you're a collector it might be worth searching for.

Also, while I'm on the thought of licensed games based on popular culture, see if you can track down "Queen: The eYe". I've seen video of the game, and while it looks horrible, there's something cute about making a PC game with an all-Queen soundtrack.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently joined this site just to meet other collectors and to talk about collecting on the whole. I hope this thread continues! I think one of the rarest games I have is The Simpsons Arcade Game. I would love to hear some of the games in everyone's collection

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Digital Press is more leaned towards console collecting and sadly there isn't much discussion on classic PC collecting here. There are some other online communities where old PC gamers and collectors hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    True to that last piece youn wrote but also scarcity due to other forces like a company failing/bought out and limited runs can do it too keeping high price and low selection possible. Look at wing commander kilrathi saga especially when it is still complete in the box.
    As far as Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga goes, it actually isn't all that rare of a game, you can always find several listed on ebay. I feel like the prices are more artificial than anything, with auctions opening at high amounts right off the bat.

You can actually get all three Wing Commander original releases together for about the same price if not less, arguably a better collection piece than a compilation released later.

Since most collectors don't actually use their collection as a library, the format or edition is of little concern. We just keep CDRs of all the games in order to not disturb or damage the collectible releases.