Thread: Die Hard, STV, Dying Hard.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Die Hard, STV, Dying Hard.

Hey, I've been out of the arcade game for awhile now, and just sold my Die Hard cab on Craigslist. Always worked perfect for me. Of course dude gets it home and the monitor is dead. Board is getting a steady 5.4v or so and the game boots and you can hit start and hear it playing blind. When I measure the voltage that's coming off the power supply that goes to the monitor it's jumping all over the place. Same with the voltage coming off the transformer by the monitor. My diagnosis...bad power supply?? I'd just like to hear what some of you think before I tell him to try to get a new power supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, haven't seen you around here for a while. Nice to have you back. Strange problem there. I'd say either the power supply or the transformer itself may be bad? Did you happen to check your wall voltage? Could be the incoming as well. Other than that, I am out of ideas.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

right, i thought it might be the iso transformer, but i measured the voltage from the connector coming direct from the power supply too. i'm so rusty, i don't even remember what it should be reading. it's the same results anywhere i measured, connectors before the iso trans, from the iso trans, i even measured voltage going to the marquee light which also comes off the iso trans, also bad. jumps all over the place, from like .5, to maybe a couple of volts.

i just thought it was weird that the board (which is connected to a different set of wires from the PS) gets a nice solid 5.4v and works fine. if the incoming voltage was crappy wouldn't that one be bad too?
    Last edited by MoreEbolaForYou; 07-15-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: clarification

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Is it something that happened durring moving? Becasue having a transformer just happen to go bad durring transport sounds a bit strange to me(though not impossible I guess). It seems more likely that something was bumped loose. I had a monitor that wasn't working once and after much frustration I discovered that a pluggable adjustment wire near the flyback was loose.

Also, is your meter is on AC volts when measuring the transformer voltage? I only ask because it sounds like the DC is measuring right but not the AC.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Is it something that happened durring moving? Becasue having a transformer just happen to go bad durring transport sounds a bit strange to me(though not impossible I guess). It seems more likely that something was bumped loose. I had a monitor that wasn't working once and after much frustration I discovered that a pluggable adjustment wire near the flyback was loose.

Also, is your meter is on AC volts when measuring the transformer voltage? I only ask because it sounds like the DC is measuring right but not the AC.
    am i that dumb? yes i am. i hadn't touched the inside of an arcade game in a year or two. noted, need to measure that voltage in AC.

it's definitely something that got shaken up during the move since it's always worked 100% perfect for me. i checked and rechecked all connections. the isolation transformer was just zip tied to the monitor frame, it could have swung around and hit something.

i might just give the kid his money back and wash my hands of the whole thing. i'd grab the pcb and couple cartridges i gave him and sell on ebay. i'd get some of my money back. i mostly just wanted the monstrosity out of the house. win/win?
    Last edited by MoreEbolaForYou; 07-15-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tell him to look inside (but don't touch anything unless he can discharge it safely) and see if anything's loose. If it is, you know what to do.

Another welcome back - I remember your username, that's about it, but good to see you. Was needing another shot of eBola to counter all the swine flu and other stuff going around these days

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Tell him to look inside (but don't touch anything unless he can discharge it safely) and see if anything's loose. If it is, you know what to do.

Another welcome back - I remember your username, that's about it, but good to see you. Was needing another shot of eBola to counter all the swine flu and other stuff going around these days
    I went over to guy's house and did check it out. It was nothing obvious that I could see. Like I said, checked and double checked all connections.

I did roughly know what I was doing with this stuff at some point in time, but most of my expertise was with pre-jamma stuff. Yeah, I know, Jamma is much simpler, but let me have an excuse for my ineptitude.

Anyone looking for STV board w/ 6 game cartridges?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That voltage is way high. Dial it back to about 5.18 or so on board.

Check the monitor. Is the tube neck glowing?

Any fuses in this? Are they blown?

Unfortunately, any time a cab gets moved there's a good chance it will stop working. I worked for like five months restoring a Centipede Mini. Went to move it to my porch for a Halloween get-together and the board stopped working altogether.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peale View Post
    That voltage is way high. Dial it back to about 5.18 or so on board.

Check the monitor. Is the tube neck glowing?

Any fuses in this? Are they blown?

Unfortunately, any time a cab gets moved there's a good chance it will stop working. I worked for like five months restoring a Centipede Mini. Went to move it to my porch for a Halloween get-together and the board stopped working altogether.
    The power supply isn't a normal switching power supply, and thus is not adjustable.

No glow. Nothing.

Fuses are good.

Bummer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try unplugging the AC input to the monitor, and then check your voltage. See if it's a steady 110 in then. If it is, the problem is definitely on the monitor. If not, it's before that, and you can chase it back.