Thread: Where to find GOOD 72-pin connectors?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Where to find GOOD 72-pin connectors?

Hey all... I replaced the 72-pin connector some time ago in my NES and it's already on the fritz again. Plus, it kept a death-grip on my games and never worked with the games pressed down like normal. I got this connector off of eBay.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a source for better connectors? Ones that work as well as the originals? I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks if it means I don't have as much BS to put up with.
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just rebend mine and I never have to put the game down, if i do it WILL mess up. Who cares if you cant press it down as long as it works right? I dont think you can get them from another manufacturer, as im sure they all come from one place and millions of people try to sell em as there own or buy to resell like ebay sellers do.
    Last edited by gokugohandave; 07-15-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The pushing down thing is low on the list of priorities. I'm more annoyed that it's already messed up. But you're probably right, I wouldn't be surprised if they all come from the same manufacturer.

I have heard of people getting official Nintendo replacements, though. Anyone know where to find those?
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MCM Electronics had their own connectors made a while back, they're pretty nice, although pricey at $11 each. See http://mcmelectronics.com/product/DI...TENDO-/83-3785

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

i have always bought mine on ebay, the quality is questionable, i would ove some official nintendo ones.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Hey all... I replaced the 72-pin connector some time ago in my NES and it's already on the fritz again. Plus, it kept a death-grip on my games and never worked with the games pressed down like normal. I got this connector off of eBay.
    New pin connectors are meant to work without being pressed. The pressing is what messes the original ones up in the first place. The death grip is well known too.

I bet you just need to clean the connector and games lightly though. Especially the games. When you remove and insert corroded and dusty games, the gunk scrapes off on the connector. That factor probably magnifies when the connectors hug the game's contacts so tightly.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a source for better connectors? Ones that work as well as the originals?
    lol
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    New pin connectors are meant to work without being pressed. The pressing is what messes the original ones up in the first place. The death grip is well known too.

I bet you just need to clean the connector and games lightly though. Especially the games. When you remove and insert corroded and dusty games, the gunk scrapes off on the connector. That factor probably magnifies when the connectors hug the game's contacts so tightly.
    I've done lots of cleaning, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I think it's truly a bad connector, as the graphics get garbled in the exact same way every time, regardless of what game I'm playing. It gives a sort of "double vision" effect.

lol
    Okay, you got me there. I mean as well as the originals would work for a couple of years or so!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I've done lots of cleaning, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I think it's truly a bad connector, as the graphics get garbled in the exact same way every time, regardless of what game I'm playing. It gives a sort of "double vision" effect.
    Garbled graphics doesn't sound like a 72 pin connector problem, it sounds like whatever you're using for audio/video is the problem. If you're using an RF switch then that is probably the problem, try to a different one. If you're using composite cables, it could be the cables but is more likely something wrong with the connections in the NES or your TV, try cleaning all those connections with some rubbing alcohol first.

The best place to get official Nintendo 72 pin connectors is from other NES systems. I've never replaced these, I've always rebent and cleaned the originals. I've kept several and sold even more of them and haven't had a problem with the yet. It literally takes less than 5 minutes to clean and rebend a set of pins, and is very simple.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I ended up going that route for this particular NES. I pulled the connector out of another system and it works fine. So that confirms it's the connector and not the RF connection or anything like that. Still, that means I have another NES that needs a new connector, and I'd like to put a good one in it!

Does anyone else have experience with the ones from MCM Electronics? Are they any better than what you find on eBay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Once upon a time, the eBay connectors were the same as the MCM connectors, sourced from MCM in bulk and being resold individually. I'd be surprised if there was much difference, with all the grief that new connectors give, if someone had a different batch made you'd think they'd be all over advertising their "new and improved" connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

i might have to look into trying to bend the pins, is there a link to a guide on how to do it you might have?
    Autobots. Roll out.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

take a jewlers regular screwdriver or a bent paper clip and bend all 72, the upper ones are a little harder but dont bend em too far or theyll break.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's also a method utilizing a safety-pin to bend the pins back as well which has worked the best for me. I think there's a video on youtube about this as well. It's a quick fix and avoids the cost of a new connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a pick with a 90 degree bend (like the one in this set) and it works perfectly for bending pins. I just stick it in under the pin and twist it a quarter turn and it bends the pin to just the right position. It's well worth the couple dollars on buying a pick than fumbling with a bent safety pin.

Insert Coin (Level 0) james42519's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they have them here for a good price i think. thinik i got mine at the first one. it works. don't have to push the game down and stuff.
    http://electricquarter.com/index.php
    http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/sh...cts.asp?page=2
    my games. don't have xbox just games for it. game gear is messed up.
    http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=james42519