Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Have More Than One Copy of The Same Game? Why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do You Have More Than One Copy of The Same Game? Why?

With the upcoming release of Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on XBL and PSN I started to wonder how many people(who already have copies of it) will be purchasing it again in download form. Then I wondered about this more in a broader scope, such as how many of you have exact or near exact copies of the same game? And if you are one of the many in this catergory, "why" do you have more than one copy of the same game?

Below are some of my examples with visual aids. You don't need visual aids with your answers. I just did it because I was bored and because I'm a pic whore

I have three copies because this is a rare case where all three copies are either uncommon or somewhat rare(despite how many listings are on ebay)

The PS2 version has more content but honestly I think I bought that version first. But the Gamecube version was on sale for $10 new.

Three slightly altered covers and three different special characters. Oh, and also three very different controller types.

This is one of the only examples of two current gen games I have and again it's because of extra content. The PS2 version has the Jedi Temple prologue level, something you have to download on the 360 and PS3 versions. They obviously left this out on purpose so they could make more money later.

I got my special editions of Halo 2 and Doom 3 first. Years later the regular versions were cheap enough that I could pick them up without having to think about it twice.

Left to right was the order I got these in. I was going to sell the bare bones version once I picked up a sealed copy with the demo for MP2. But before I did that I ran into the Legend of Zelda:WW hybrid copy at Gamestop. I also found another variant at Goodwill a few months ago(the Kmart Wavebird version) but they wanted too much for it so I passed.

EDIT: I left out all my examples where I have both a US copy and import copy(mostly PS1) but I may post those later. Same thing for my Genesis and Snes games that I have one sealed copy(to collect) and one opened copy to play.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 07-18-2009 at 01:26 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only games I have multiple copy of are the 3 sealed NES games that I have. Loose copies were easy to get so I can enjoy the games without opening the sealed ones.

Insert Coin (Level 0) adam_devry's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My bro has both copies of star wars but the game for 360 is different than the ps2 and he got the 360 later. I look at people's collection pics and i see people with 3 or 4 of the same game like 3 copies of sonic 2 Why

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got quite a few different ports of the same games, as seen in my sig. I have Bubble Bobble for NES and GB. Strange how much better the GB one is.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have five copies of rockman4. mostly cuz every bulk lot of famicom games had them for some reason. Its the worst rockman for nes so i can't even get rid of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a few dups of Atari 2600 games and I have the GC and Wii versions of Resident Evil 4.

Then I have two copies of New Super Mario Bros on DS, because I bought it once, then I got it again about a year later in the Mario DS bundle.

And if you want to count this too, I have some games (Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country and a few others) that I have on the Wii Virtual Console and the SNES.

I don't really have a good reason for having duplicate games. Although the Atari games were from different bundles so it was out of my control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i generally don't go out and intentionally buy multiple copies of the same game. however, i do have a few ports of the same game including Mortal kombats 1 and 2 for both the snes and genesis (mainly becaues the genesis i bought came with both kombats).

also have nba jam for snes and genesis as well as nba jam toury edition for snes and sega 32x (the 32X version has slightly better graphics)

also have ultimate mk3 for the snes as well as for xbla (only because xbla version has the online capabilities)

i have fatal fury motw for the DC and for xbla for same reason as above.... i will also be getting marvel vs capcom 2 on xbla for the online capabilities even thou i have the same game on the DC.

i think i might be forgetting a couple others but thats about it.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Final Fantasy NESx2, Origins PSX, Dawn of Souls GBA, PSP
    Final Fantasy 4 SNES, Chronicles, Advance, DS
    Final Fantasy 5/Anthology, Advance
    Final Fantasy 6 SNES, Anthology, Advance
    Super Castlevania SNESx2
    Castlevania NESx2, GBA
    Harmony of Dissonance GBA, CV Double Pack GBA
    Aria of Sorrow GBA, CV Double Pack GBA
    Ogre Battle SNES, PSX
    Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis GBAx2
    Star Ocean the Second Story PSX, Second Evolution PSP
    Yggdra Unioni GBA, Yggdra Union PSP
    Riviera GBA, Riviera PSP
    Dragon Warrior NES and Dragon Warrior 1 and 2 GBC
    Dragon Warrior 4 NES and Dragon Warrior 4 DS
    Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Cobi's Journey and Dragon Warriors Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure
    Mega Man X/ Collection PS2, Maverick Hunter X PSP
    Mega Man/ Anniversary PS2, Powered Up PSP
    Wild ARMs PSX, Alter Code F PS2
    FF Adventure GB, Sword of Mana GBA

*edit*

Cleaning up the post and added games I missed like the Dragon Warrior series.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-19-2009 at 08:38 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I buy lots of Atari 2600 carts. Currently I have 13 Space invaders. For a while there I had 20 combats and about the same in Pac Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega Genesis MUSHA! I have a cheap loose copy with Bad Label to play and a complete MINT Copy in my collection. Thanks BUYATARI for the players copy. Mike : )
    Video Game Connection
    ATARI 2600 to NINTENDO Wii
    Ebay User ID : vgc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think my answer would be rather obvious.

But for the hell of it:

1. Greatest Hits
    2. Collectors Edition
    3. Pre-Order Bonus Version
    4. Typo Variant
    5. Bundle Variant
    6. Disc Art Variant
    7. Updated Disc Variant (See: Eidos Demo Fiasco)
    8. 3 different types of long boxes
    9. Jewel Case variant of Long Box release
    10. ESRB variant
    11. Content Variant (Actual Demo changes)
    12. #%^%@! Custom Made Prize Variants...
    13. Autographed copies...

Figure what, 8 Alundras, 5 PSones, 5 Lunars, 3 Lunar 2s, etc etc...

I bought 3 PSN PSX games (FF7, SFA, Tekken 2) for research purposes, since SFA turned out to be oddly compressed improperly ratio sized. Tekken 2 was fine, and on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I at one point resolved that if I ever ended up buying more than one copy of a game, it would be time to stop buying games and spend my time working through my backlog. Of course that didn't happen.

I only get a second copy of a game when it's part of a bundle with other games that I don't have or when I think I ought to be able to trade it away for something else fairly easily. The former doesn't happen too often; most recently it was with the GTA Trilogy sale on Steam, when I had already bought Vice City for $5 elsewhere. (Ironically, that wasn't at all too difficult to get moving.) As for the latter, I am consistently mistaken about the ease of trading. (Why the frak is it so difficult to get rid of this spare copy of Apollo Justice!?)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have MvC2 for both Dreamcast and PS2, I didn't know the PS2 version was so bad when I 1st got it and decided to track down the [almost] arcade perfect Dreamcast version. It doesn't really matter that much now that it's coming to PSN/XBLN.

I also have 2x copies of Kof95 MVS and and 2x Kof97 MVS simply because I bought them loose when started collecting MVS and then got a pack including every single MVS kof at the NG.com forums.

Speaking of kof, I have all MVS kofs and Kof94 Rebout (PS2), Kof Orochi Saga (PS2) and Kof Nests saga (PS2), plus Kof99 Dream match never ends (basically Kof98 for the Dreamcast) and Kof98UM.

I have JP and US copies of Bloody Roar for the PS1 simply because i totally forgot I already had one when purchased the JP version.

I own JP and US versions of KofXI and Neo Geo Battle Coliseum for the PS2 (similar reasons as to why I have 2 copies of MvC2, got US versions 1st then realized JP versions are better due to progressive scan support and no slowdown)

Don't know if this one counts, but I have SFIV on PS3 and PC (Steam version) just because I wanted to have both networks available for online play.

I have Gokujou Parodius Deluxe for both the PS1 and Saturn, no particular reason.

I got 2 copies of longbox Tekken 1 for PS1.

Also Super SFII for the Genesis and Saturn (SFII collection).

SSFII on Saturn (SF2 collection) and HD Remix for PSN too.

Not sure if this counts, but I have DOA2 on PS2 and DOA2 Ultimate on XBOX.

Fatal Fury Special for the PC Engine and Fatal Fury Battle Archives for the PS2 (includes FFS).

World Heroes Perfect (MVS) and World Heroes Anthology for the PS2.

I have JP & US copies of Battle Arena Toshinden 2, got the JP version later on simply because I like the cover and artwork on the manual.

Also have JP version of RE Code Veronica for the Dreamcast and Code Veronica for the PS2.

And finally, I have 2 copies of Mortal Kombat for the Sega CD.

EDIT: added a bunch of games I was forgetting about.
    Last edited by 123►Genei-Jin; 07-18-2009 at 07:59 AM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just for Ace Combat 3.

AC fans will know why I own the JP version.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Yes. I have:
    Doom-Snes, PS1, PC
    Street Fighter 2- Snes, PS1
    Street Fighter Alpha 3- Dreamcast, PS1
    Final Doom- PS1, PC
    GTA Vice City- PS2, PC
    GTA 3- PC, PS2
    Tekken 2 & 3- PS1, PS2
    Tekken 5 Dark Ressurection- PS3, PSP
    Thats all I can think of for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If we are including compilations, I'm pretty bad with Sonic games then. I probably own at least 3 copies of the first few Sonic games. I pretty much bought anything with Sonic because of my fan level at the time. I'm guessing though we aren't going by compilations though, so I'll stick to what I do have.

I think I may own both the SEGA CD and Genesis version of NBA Jam TE. In my game list I wrote down I had regular NBA Jam for SEGA CD, but for some reason I think I have both. Probably had to do something with buying Genesis consoles in lots.

I know that there are two copies of Destroy All Humans in my house. One of my brothers owns the PS2 version and the other owns the Xbox version. My Older brother took his PS2 to college and for some reason bought the game there.

As far as ports go, I own Sonic Adventure DX for GCN and PC as well as Metroid for NES and VC. Sonic Adventure I bought for GCN just because I never owned a Dreamcast while the PC version was purchased solely for the customizable skins and this one hack that never got completed. Metroid I purchased on the VC for my dad, only to find it cheaply at a flea market for the NES a year later.

My younger brother and I both own are own copies of Animal Crossing, which occurred because he wanted to use Action Replay on it and I wouldn't let him. He ended up buying his own DS to use it on too.

The only game I literally own two copies of is DBZ Legacy of Goku. I purchased my own copy of the game and later my mother found a loose copy lying around her classroom. I forget why she never returned it to her students, but it may have been after school had let out for summer or something. Never got around to trading in my extra copy of it and probably never will.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I am sure there are a lot of people with doubles of Mario Bros./Duck Hunt...
    DERP

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    I only own a single copy. I used to have two but I gave one away to someone who didn't have a copy.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    I seriously used to own 6 copes of SMB/DH before I had a garage sale and tried to get rid of the extra copies, which failed lol.

Back on topic, I own two copies of Castlevania: SOTN, which are the Greatest Hits copy and the Black Label Copy.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a lot of games separately that I also have in compilations. In general I prefer to play the originals, and I prefer to play separate games rather than compilations (I just do). But I'll buy a compilation for a particular game or games on it, and disregard the ones that I have on other systems. For example, I have Sonic Gems Collection, but I pretty much just pretend it's Sonic the Fighters for Gamecube. When I want to play Sonic CD I do so on my Sega CD, and when I want to play Sonic R (which is more rare), I do so on my Saturn. If there were some way to buy just Sonic the Fighters (short of buying the arcade version), I wouldn't have bothered with Gems Collection at all.

Other than that, I don't own any outright duplicates, but I do own multiple versions of a few games. I bought Blackthorne for SNES before I had a 32x, and then I got the 32x version later, because it's superior. I just haven't gotten around to getting rid of the SNES one, because it's not like it's worth a lot of money or anything. Similarly, I bought the Sega CD version of Flashback to see how it compared, and decided I preferred the cartridge version, but the CD version is still sitting on my shelf, because I just haven't bothered. In general I prefer to get the best possible version of every multiplatform game, but occasionally this isn't possible until later. I have Puzzle Fighter for Saturn, because I happened upon it for cheap; the one I really want is the Dreamcast version, but it can be a bit pricey. The Saturn version will do for now, and it kind of has the unintended effect of moving Puzzle Fighter for Dreamcast way to the bottom of my want list. When I do eventually get it, I'm not going to immediately throw out my Saturn copy.