Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Have More Than One Copy of The Same Game? Why?

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do any of these qualify? I don't have exact doubles of any game (Unless you count the 2 Sega CD games I have listed - as they are on their own discs), most are just U.S. and import versions that may or may not have differences.

Armored Encounter!/Subchase! - U.S. and Canadian (O2)
    UFO! - " (O2)
    Adventure: Atari and Sears (2600)
    Missile Command: Sears and Polyvox (2600)
    Yar's Revenge: Atari and Sears (2600)
    Centipede (5200 and C64)
    Batman (NES and FC - Stage 1 and 2's music are switched)
    Dragon Warrior/Quest (NES and FC)
    " II (NES and FC)
    " III (NES and FC)
    " IV (NES, FC, and DS)
    Ys (FC, TG-CD, DS)
    Ys III (FC, PC9801, TG-CD)
    Zelda II (NES, GBA, Wii VC)
    Drakkhen (SNES and SFC)
    FFIV (SFC, GBA, DS)
    FFV (SFC and GBA)
    FFVI (SFC and GBA)
    FF Mystic Quest (SNES and SFC)
    Lufia II: (SNES and SFC Estpolis II - a few puzzles are different)
    Super Baseball Simulator 1.000: (SNES and SFC - a few changes between each)
    Super Castlevania IV (SNES and Wii VC)
    Final Fantasy Adventure - (U.S. Sunsoft and German Mystic Quest - GB)
    Bram Stoker's Dracula (Sega CD - single release and one with Frankenstein)
    Microcosm (Sega CD - single release and one with Ultravesre Prime)
    Time Gal (U.S. Sega CD and JPN Mega CD - plenty of changes between each)
    Gitaroo Man (PS2 and PSP - 2 extra stages on PSP version)
    Sega Genesis Collection (PS2 and PSP - Different arcade games)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

My reason for buying various ports of same games to different systems even when they play the same is the controller alone, and just for the ability to play the game on a different system for the heck of it. It also gave me motivation to play through certain games more than once. Examples of what I have that I actually do care about are Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II, X-Men Legends, X-Men Legends II, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Sonic Mega Collection.

There is something about that hack & slash gameplay that makes it really addicitve. Hand me any hack & slash game and I'll be glued to it till it's done.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

off the top of my head not counting common games

chrono trigger x4 1 sealed 2 loose copies and one mib (still with shirnkwrap)
    ff2(4)x 6 1 complete in box the rest loose both cart shape varients and version 1.0 1.1
    ff4 (j) x10 1 "easy type" 9 common version and 1 "rare" 1.0 version

final fantasy 7 x5. original black label x2, 1 sealed greatest shits, one uber rare blockbuster varient! and another loose one, also both box variations for the pc version

zanac x3, one complete mint copy, one not so mint boxed copy and one prototype

zelda ocarina of time x5, just keep finding these at thrifts also have 1 gold boxed.

tons of other games i've ended up with 2-10 copies of over the years (I never get around to sell or trade my extras, they just sit in boxes)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I have different reasons for different games. It's either because I got several lots of games that had games I already had, or I came across a copy for a very cheap price or it was part of a very good trade, or so I could have a portable version of a previous console game(like Earthworm Jim for GBA when I have the Genesis version), or to have different variants of the same game if they had different packaging or if they played slightly differently(I'm hoping to someday get complete copies of Loom, both the floppy disk and CD-ROM versions because they play differently).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have Final Doom for both PC and PS1. I like tha in case I need my Doom fix, I can play it in my room. I wish I had a X-Box and Doom 3 for it since my computer is annoying to play it on PC.

I have Mario 3 on both GBA and NES as well.
    And I have a Sonic game with 1, 2, and Mean Bean Machine and I own Sonic Mega Collection Plus for PS2. I don't count Sonic 2 on Game Gear as the same game, since it so different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    I am sure there are a lot of people with doubles of Mario Bros./Duck Hunt...
    I dont have 1 single copy of that.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Well, I have a copy of Super Mario Bros. that I won in an auction on shopgoodwill for my current NES, and I have Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt from my old NES, does that count?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alxbly View Post
    You and me both.

The majority of my dupes are Resident Evil games:

I got the original Resident Evil on Playstation, then Directors Cut, and of course, RE: Deadly Silence is essentially the same game but for DS (although with a few extras). I got REmake when it first came out on Gamecube and picked up RE Archives just this week. Cheapest port ever, because there's no additions... hell, it doesn't even have widescreen support!

RE2 I first played on Gamecube, but was intruiged to see what the original version was like so I also got it for Playstation. Then I wanted to see what the N64 version was like, as it's held up as one of the best technical achievements on the N64. It's obvious they put a lot of effort into the port but those cut scenes are heavily compressed and just don't look very good.

Code Veronica I had only played on Dreamcast so I wanted to see what Code Veronica X was like. RE4 I owned on Gamecube first and was tempted by the extra content of the Ps2 version. However, since the Wii version has all of that, the PS2 version doesn't seem so tempting now.

I really enjoyed Shadow Man when I first played it on the N64, so I eventually ended up getting the, visually much sharper, Dreamcast version. I seen the Playstation version in really good conditon so I just picked that up as well.

GTA III - I never played this on the PS2 when it first came out, but I was blown away when I played it on Xbox. The PS2 version is something I seen just recently in excellent condition and very cheap, so I decided to get it.

NFS Hot Pursuit I first played on Gamecube... I enjoyed it despite its obvious faults (and because at that time the Gamecube was my only console and there's weren't many motor racing games available for it). When I got a PS2 I was curious to see what the superior version of the game was like.

Dead Rising... I loved the 360 game. It was really THE game that made having a "next gen" console worthwhile at the time. So, I was curious about the Wii version, despite the bad rep it was getting. It's true there's less zombies on screen but there are other changes that make this less obvious (open areas are reduced in size) and there are new enemies and a much better targeting system. I enjoyed playing through both versions of the game.

I've never gotten around to selling the standard version of Morrowind, but I might just keep it since the artwork is different. That sounds silly, I guess. I've owned the original Ninja Gaiden (on Xbox) then traded it in for Ninja Gaiden Black. Now that I've got Sigma I'll probably sell Ninja Gaiden Black (stupid Classics/Greatest Hits cover means I don't have much love for that one).
    I appreciated your pics. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    It also gave me motivation to play through certain games more than once.
    That was my reasoning behind getting the Japanese import versions of 70% of my US PS1 collection. It gave me another reason to play thru Syphon Filter, Castlevania: SOTN, Bust-A-Groove, Smackdown and so many of my other favorite PS1 games. So I ended up with two copies(different regions) of the same game but I enjoyed each playthru just as much.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 07-19-2009 at 03:35 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have four copies of earth worm jim for the genesis but that's only because I forgot that I had the game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have 2 copies of Mario Superstar Baseball. I got it when it first came out. I misplaced it about a year ago and I really liked it so I bought another. I eventually found the other one.

I have MVP Baseball on GameCube and PC. Got the PC version about 2 years ago for the mods.

I never owned them at once, but I had all 3 versions of the first Lego Star Wars game. I got the PS2 version when it first came out but traded it in later. I got the Xbox version 2 years later but the sound is horrendous on the 360 so I returned it and bought it new on Gamecube.

I also owned 3 copies of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Got one at TRU for a $15 coupon, then Target had it on sale, and then Amazon had it on sale and there was an addtional $5 off code so I got it for $29.

I have Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles on Genesis and the Mega Collection on GC. I actually won a Genesis lot that has Sonic 2 and 3 so I will have another copies of those (my Sonic 3 label is messed up. I don't know what it is).

I have Pokemon Snap on VC and for N64 (gave it away on N64 but bought it again last week). I also have Donkey Kong Country for VC and SNES, too.
    Last edited by IceDrake; 07-19-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

As the OP's question relates my most current Digital Press Blog Entry, I'm just making a plug to go read what I wrote there.

The short version for the twittilliterati is this: I keep more than one copy of a game if there is significant aesthetic variation between two copies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll usually only end up with multiple copies of a game by accident. Although if something is cheap I'll pick it up as tradebait.

The only exception for this is Puzzle Quest. I've got like 4 or 5 versions of it for different platforms. I don't know why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I will buy a double of any game as I eventually intend to expunge all my double crap out of my collection some day for money.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

i think i have doubles of halo and halo 2, i found some copies nicer than mine and decided to pick them up a while back.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have 2 copies of both metal gear and snakes revenge... x-mas presents gone wrong.
    Closet Monsters: Custom and Retro Game Plushies Obesolete.etsy.com

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volcanon View Post
    I have five copies of rockman4. mostly cuz every bulk lot of famicom games had them for some reason. Its the worst rockman for nes so i can't even get rid of them.
    Blasphemy! 4 was great!

I've got something like 5 copies of Mechwarrior 2. One's DOS, another's Win95, another one is 3dfx, another is ATI Rage...

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I have 3 copies of Mercenary Force for the Game Boy because I'm a dumbass who doesn't carry his lists with him, and constantly says "ooh, that label's neat, I want that game"
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My only duplicates right now are the Splinter Cell games. I have them for Gamecube and Xbox mainly because the Cube ports have enhanced gameplay and the Live levels included.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you count the many different versions of Pokemon as the same game, then I have multiple copies of like 5 or 6 games! (Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire, FireRed/LeafGreen, etc.)

But seriously speaking, I have 2 copies of some SNES games because I end up getting the Japanese versions as well, just to have them and so my collection will look more complete (and so I can swap the game cases and play the English versions on a Super Famicom! )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wish I knew why it was proving to be so freaking impossible to get rid of my extra copies of Apollo Justice and Tetris DS! I hope I've finally learned my lesson now about getting things like this for trading purposes.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)