Thread: SNES Reproductions

Cherry (Level 1) -_-Nintendo-_-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES Reproductions

Well, I got a bit of free time right now, and I have quite a bit of knowledge with computers and some programming, so I think I might take a stab at some SNES reproduction carts.

However I have a few questions before I start,

I was thinking of just buying a cheap and nasty EPROM burner (http://tinyurl.com/nzssgo)

I also need some 27c801 and 27C040 EPROM chips, anyone got a place where they stock these and post to Australia?

I found a seller on Ebay whom sell them (http://tinyurl.com/nwyqe9) they have the correct serial number, do I need to worry about anything else apart from that?

I also need some 74ls139 chips which I assume (according to snesdev.romhack) are needed to join 2 or more chips together.

Does anyone have any other helpful pointers before I start buying all this junk?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -_-Nintendo-_- View Post
    Well, I got a bit of free time right now, and I have quite a bit of knowledge with computers and some programming, so I think I might take a stab at some SNES reproduction carts.

However I have a few questions before I start,

I was thinking of just buying a cheap and nasty EPROM burner (http://tinyurl.com/nzssgo)

I also need some 27c801 and 27C040 EPROM chips, anyone got a place where they stock these and post to Australia?

I found a seller on Ebay whom sell them (http://tinyurl.com/nwyqe9) they have the correct serial number, do I need to worry about anything else apart from that?

I also need some 74ls139 chips which I assume (according to snesdev.romhack) are needed to join 2 or more chips together.

Does anyone have any other helpful pointers before I start buying all this junk?
    For the EPROM, try JAMECO. JAMECO Website I think that versions of the 27C chip have higher memory density with the same pinouts, so you don't need a memory mapper to make larger games. I think they make them with memory densities up to 8 Megabytes (64 Megabits).

With used EPROMS, you do need to worry about getting ones that are not in good condition. If they've been through LOTS of write/erase cycles, then they might not be able to be written to again.

Also, DO NOT BUILD YOUR OWN QUICK AND DIRTY ERASER! The wavelength of UV light used is the same as a microbicidal lamp used to sterilize hospital equipment. As you might imagine, that is not the best thing for a human being either. Go ahead and invest in a small eraser unit because you will probably mess up a few burns, and there is no reason to just toss those chips out.

Also, you'll probably want a list of cartridges with pertinent data, so that you can select an appropriate donor cart. There is a list out there [that I can't find at the moment] that details just about EVERY SNES game released, giving the ROM size, save memory size, type of cartridge [lorom, hirom, SuperFX...] and such like that.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Loremaster View Post
    There is a list out there [that I can't find at the moment] that details just about EVERY SNES game released, giving the ROM size, save memory size, type of cartridge [lorom, hirom, SuperFX...] and such like that.
    I've got that up on my site, Super Famicom Database, but at present it's only Japanese carts, I'm not finished checking each US or European cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is very helpful Loremaster.

I have a few more questions.

Most older guides I have looked up just use many 1MB chips.

For example:

Mega Man & Bass is a 32Mbit game, most guides I have looked up would wire up 4 1MB chips (8Mbits each) to the one board.

So what you are saying is, it is just possible to buy 1 4MB 27c series chip, burn the rom onto one chip rather than spliting them over 2 or more chips and I would just be able to wire up the one chip to the board, without having one of those memory mapper chips? (I assume you are talking about the 74ls139 chip)

Sorry for the basic questions, just trying to get my head around it all before I dive in

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stay away form those willem programmers, they are nothing but trouble. I would look into getting one of these:

http://www.progshop.com/shop/programmer/BX40/index.html

I have the BX32 and have had no problems with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I have heard that they can be pigs, but it is only $40 or so posted, compared to the BX40, which is close to $400

If I enjoy doing it, I will upgrade in the future, I just want a small entry level sort of thing to test the waters out

EDIT: Auctually, I think I might get a more expensive unit, one with an external power supply.

Was thinking of: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EasyPro-90B-U...lenotsupported
    Any good?
    Last edited by -_-Nintendo-_-; 07-18-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -_-Nintendo-_- View Post
    Yeah, I have heard that they can be pigs, but it is only $40 or so posted, compared to the BX40, which is close to $400

If I enjoy doing it, I will upgrade in the future, I just want a small entry level sort of thing to test the waters out

EDIT: Auctually, I think I might get a more expensive unit, one with an external power supply.
    The problem with the willems is that they only go up to 5 volts, which is not enough to program older EPROMs. I'm not sure what the voltage requirements for the chips you want to program are though.

I've heard that those are just willem programmers in a case.