Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe That Games Lose Their Appeal Over Time?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Do You Believe That Games Lose Their Appeal Over Time?

Do you think that classic games like Pac-Man and Space Invaders are still as fun to play now as they were in their day? It seems like, whenever critics review remakes of classic games, they always give the games lower scores than they originally did. Why? Did the games lose their magic? Did they become outdated? In 20 years (assuming we last that long!), will games like BioShock no longer be as fun?

Of course, morons like The Angry Video Game Nerd aren't helping in the least. All they do is turn on an old game, make some dumb crack about the graphics, call the game "a shit-load of fuck", and turn it off.

This is an interesting issue. Do you think that games lose their appeal over time?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think trolls lose their appeal on day one.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    I think trolls lose their appeal on day one.
    Nobody is trolling except you.

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metropolisforever View Post
    It seems like, whenever critics review remakes of classic games, they always give the games lower scores than they originally did.

Of course, morons like The Angry Video Game Nerd aren't helping in the least. All they do is turn on an old game, make some dumb crack about the graphics, call the game "a shit-load of fuck", and turn it off.
    That's because game reviewers tend to judge the classics from a modern point of view, comparing it to games of today. Which is pretty dumb to me, but more helpful for those who haven't played the game/other games from that era.

For me I think it has a lot to do with having been there at the time the game was new. I can't really go back to anything pre-NES, but still find new games to love from the 8-bit generation and onwards.

AVGN usually has good points about the games he plays, you're exagerrating there. But I could do without the image.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It all depends on the game. I like Pac Man and Donkey Kong more now than I did when I was younger. Not so much true of Space Invaders, though still a solid game. For me I guess I would have to say no, they don't lose their magic. I wouldn't second guess or correct anyone who said they did though. Different strokes.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

The Angry Video Game nerd is a little bit more in-depth than that. He usually bitches about a game when it really, really deserves it. Have you ever played some of the games he has reviewed? Some are just plainly broken.

3000th Post
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it really depends

as a kid I looked at the 2600 as garbage compared to my first system the NES, but it actually had some really fun games that I have learned about over the years thanks to Youtube reviewers,etc. Timeless classics that were basic but full of lasting gameplay.

I wish I had known about the Commodore64 circa 1990, never heard of it and no one I knew had it, but it looked like a great first computer for a kid with a ton of games and programs(the creator of Linux got started on it I believe). I say 1990 because I might have been able to get it cheap somewhere.

the only games that lose their appeal on a grand scale I would say are from the PSOne/N64 era, the polygons and early 3D look like crap now and pretty much unplayable except for a few classics. I don't know why that is, but it just is.

Overall some games do, some don't

Mortal Kombat I have noticed is a game that lost its general appeal while Street Fighter is still strong.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 07-26-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

what err trapped in space warped by someone?
    Last edited by Kid Ice; 07-27-2009 at 01:46 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Garry Shandling's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gary Shandling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    Mortal Kombat I have noticed is a game that lost its general appeal while Street Fighter is still strong.
    That's because Mortal Kombat by today's standards is tame. Oh...look..someone getting their spine ripped out *spins head around* HOLY SHIT! LOOK! Someone stealing cars, fucking whores, and killing cops! AWESOME!

But, no matter what, it is still a classic game. Street Fighter hasn't lost its appeal because it's a button masher, pick up and play, simplistic gameplay. Mortal Kombat has added all this stuff and made it complicated.

But, watch. One day, there will be a game that is worse than GTA...oh wait...there has...MANHUNT and MANHUNT 2(especially if you play the game with the filters removed).

BTW, KNOCK IT OFF WITH THE SPAMMING! I'M FUCKING SERIOUS. YOU'RE NOT FUNNY. YOU'RE JUST ANNOYING!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chill out dudes.

Also, thank goodness for nostalgia!!
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    But, no matter what, it is still a classic game. Street Fighter hasn't lost its appeal because it's a button masher, pick up and play, simplistic gameplay. Mortal Kombat has added all this stuff and made it complicated.
    Wow, just wow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you think that games lose their appeal over time?
    No.

Do you think that classic games like Pac-Man and Space Invaders are still as fun to play now as they were in their day?
    Yes.

Every single post of his consists entirely of "Gary Shandling" or "Garrry" [sic]. He has not made a single legitimate post. He's been here since March 2007. Who the fuck is this? Is this some kind of in-joke I'm not aware of?
    Gary Shandling.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another repeat repost from Videogame Critic Forum.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    That's because Mortal Kombat by today's standards is tame. Oh...look..someone getting their spine ripped out *spins head around* HOLY SHIT! LOOK! Someone stealing cars, fucking whores, and killing cops! AWESOME!

Seriously, are you out of your mind? It's the other way around.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

A good game is a good game regardless of its age, just as a bad game is bad in other words, a good, well designed game will likely always be fondly remembered and still be fun 20 years from now. The same can't be said for gimmicky games a la the FMV games on the Sega CD, 3DO etc. While innovative and dare I say "cool" at the time, they have aged terribly, same goes for some of the more mundane 3D games from the PS1/Saturn/N64 era. I think the future will reflect badly on a good portion of the Wii's catalog for this very reason too many minigame collections and not enough substance.

You can't really judge older games by todays standards and vice versa. To do so is to compare apples to oranges as the capabilities of systems is so wildly different not to mention hardware limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

classics are still great, but they are seen differently after playing modern day systems. you just can't not look at them differently almost. but i like that sometimes, sometimes i like the simplicity of old games.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, the pre-crash games hold up as well as they ever did - I played 5200 Pac Man just yesterday, and the Konami Arcade Classics cart is almost permanently in my DSi. The NES-era and beyond has lost a lot of its glitter to me, however. I simply have no desire to play platformers or RPGs over and over, particularly frustratingly difficult ones. They're fine games, but not particularly replayable. I already beat Super Mario Bros many times, I don't want to do it again; but I can still play Mario Brothers or Donkey Kong and try to better my score - that's the whole point of those games.

Game design changed from the focus being on a replayable game to being an experience. The addition and refinement of save points, non-linear gameplay, more balanced difficulty levels, better graphics/sound, multiplayer, etc has made modern games in those genres more a better experience in many ways. There have also been lots of modern platformers and RPGs over the last 20 years, whereas there weren't really tons of pre-crash-style arcade games (XBLA notwithstanding).
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

For me personally its hard to game even with the new generation of consoles. I cant afford to buy every new game when it comes out, but a lot of the fun for me in gaming is owning the latest games. I feel like since i have just started playing games like kane and lynch and strangehold and kameo, that im behind and there just seems to be less enjoyment and fun in the games.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Classic games rarely loose the appeal that they had when they were new. People who care about just graphics would definately disagree with me though.
    DERP