Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe That Games Lose Their Appeal Over Time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post

BTW, KNOCK IT OFF WITH THE SPAMMING! I'M FUCKING SERIOUS. YOU'RE NOT FUNNY. YOU'RE JUST ANNOYING!
    what am I spamming, I dont get it?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    what am I spamming, I dont get it?
    I think he was talking about Gary Shandling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

Quote Originally Posted by Metropolisforever View Post
    I think he was talking about Gary Shandling.
    Yes I was. About the Mortal Kombat thing, I don't find it shocking anymore. It was shocking when it came out but now, it's just another fighter. Street Fighter on the other hand is always good because people can get into it easier. What I meant by button masher is that even me who cannot understand combos to save my life, can mash buttons and come up with combo moves. Mortal Kombat, I cannot. Plus, you'll never see Street Fighter move into 3D backgrounds and have weapons which are so hard to use, and have interchangeable styles.

Street Fighter has always been one thing and one thing only: two fighters beating the shit out of each other with awesome moves!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some games do. I can't go back to anything I played on the Atari 2600 or 7800. Thats like mortal torture to me. But Nes games I can still play and enjoy. Well, most of them. The first Super Mario Brothers game is no longer fun to me, just repetitive. Since someone else mentioned Mortal Kombat, I can still play the first game but it isn't nearly as cool as it was back in the day.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think that some topics lose their appeal over time.

I mean, seriously, enjoy the game, or don't!

(And yes, I feel that many games lose their appeal after just one play.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes and no.

A good analogy would be with film. A lot of people like classic films. But how many people enjoy silent films? Other than one or two standouts (Metropolis comes to mind), they just can't hold anyone's interest anymore. Film was a new medium at the time, and the earliest films stood on the novelty of film itself. It took time for movies to develop into something really good. So while Dr. Strangelove is still a great movie 40 years later, I bet movies from the late 20s no longer seemed interesting in Dr. Strangelove's time (nevermind today).

The same kind of goes for games. I can't imagine anyone really wanting to play Ultima I nowadays. But when Ultima VII becomes as old as Ultima I is now, it won't be in the same position; it'll still be a great game.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Yes I was. About the Mortal Kombat thing, I don't find it shocking anymore. It was shocking when it came out but now, it's just another fighter. Street Fighter on the other hand is always good because people can get into it easier. What I meant by button masher is that even me who cannot understand combos to save my life, can mash buttons and come up with combo moves. Mortal Kombat, I cannot. Plus, you'll never see Street Fighter move into 3D backgrounds and have weapons which are so hard to use, and have interchangeable styles.

Street Fighter has always been one thing and one thing only: two fighters beating the shit out of each other with awesome moves!
    That's because Mortal Kombat has no combos. It's simply punch, kick, uppercut, and a special move or two in-between. There wasn't a combo system implemented until Mortal Kombat 3.

Street Fighter you really can't button-mash on, that game is all specials more or less.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While it isn't really very old by comparison, the original Gran Turismo can still hook me in....regardless of how super-real Prologue or Forza 2 are. I blame it on the immersion factor of a well-crafted game. Regardless of the 32-bit Playstation's limitations, I'm there in the moment, ripping my pixelated white Oreca Viper around a pixelated track and that's all I'm focused on.....no differently than the same Viper on the same track in the current-gen edition of the game. It brings me the same rush.

Insert Coin (Level 0) WhatsMyUsername's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrItaliano2004

Classic and good games, stay classic and good games. Average games loose a bit of their appeal as the technology becomes outdated. Bad games go from bad to worse.

Also, I don't find the AVGN to be biased about graphics at all, from what I remember when he insults graphics it's only comparing to other games on that console as in what the graphics could be but weren't or if they have a bad choice for their palates.
    Gamertag: WatsMyGamertagg

Every game can be enjoyable, you just need to be more creative with some then others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    That's because Mortal Kombat has no combos. It's simply punch, kick, uppercut, and a special move or two in-between. There wasn't a combo system implemented until Mortal Kombat 3.

Street Fighter you really can't button-mash on, that game is all specials more or less.
    I started on MK3, so that's probably why I have that mind set. For Street Fighter, the console versions usually simplify the controls, so if you press one of the shoulder buttons, it's the equivalent of a High and Low Punch together. I'm used to the console versions and not the arcade(even though I do have MAME, I really don't play those that much).

Which leads me to another game that hasn't lost it's appeal: WWF Wrestlefest. Nearly 20 years later and people are STILL asking for the game to be released to the home consoles. There are petitions online for the game to be on Xbox Live(I've even signed a few).

Very easy to play and master....until you get to the Legion of Doom and then you can kiss your credits goodbye. The best part is when your arcade was one of the ones with a 4 player cabinet(most of the ones I've seen were only 2) and you can get 4 people together to play Royal Rumble mode. *sniff* awesomeness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    The Angry Video Game nerd is a little bit more in-depth than that. He usually bitches about a game when it really, really deserves it. Have you ever played some of the games he has reviewed? Some are just plainly broken.
    I know its off topic, but I don't feel like his "complaints" are really that good. He is entertaing, and I will give him that.

Just like what people have said before, its all what you enjoy. Some N64 games I cannot play, but I can easily fire up my Atari 2600 and have a blast playing Up and Down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by sidnotcrazy View Post
    I know its off topic, but I don't feel like his "complaints" are really that good. He is entertaing, and I will give him that.
    Lucky for you he has been moving towards more concise reviews instead of just vulgarity-ridden ranting.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But, no matter what, it is still a classic game. Street Fighter hasn't lost its appeal because it's a button masher, pick up and play, simplistic gameplay. Mortal Kombat has added all this stuff and made it complicated.
    LEAVE JOHNNY BLAZE ALONE! Your obviously all jealous of how much of a genius he is. Johnny Blaze is the smartest man on the message boards period.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

Not sure if that was supposed to be sarcastic, but if it isn't, thanks for the compliment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like this topic alot and I find it relevant, so bump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the things that I still have to remind myself of is how important marketing and "buzz" is to most people. I can look at a shelf of games I've never played before and I think about what kinds of games they are and whether or not that kind of game will interest me. Most people, especially consumers, will look at the same shelf for that game somebody told them sometime was "effing great!"

I can look at games on my shelf and just decide if I want to play one of them again. How popular or unpopular the game was rarely comes to mind in this process. I don't think that well made games lose their appeal over time at all. Mediocre licensed games, sequels, and games with glaring flaws that were easy to overlook at the time definitely lose their appeal though.

Very rarely, when a game has been syndicated into umpteen spin off games I will go back and not enjoy the original because it lacks legitimately necessary gameplay improvements and feels too limited. More often than that the original reminds me of why the series was once great though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

I wonder if Earthbound has lost any of its appeal over the years?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe some defining will clear some air here, if I may...

Classic - games of times past that have maintained their appeal
    Old Flavor- games of times past that have not maintained their appeal
    Old Turd - something intended to be a game from times past that never had appeal

New Classic - recent games that have potential to maintain their appeal and become "Classic", time will tell
    New Flavor - recent games that have appeal, but likely that it won't hold over time
    New Turd - recently unleashed variant of "Old Turd"
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 05-04-2011 at 07:52 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do You Belive That Games Lose Their Appeal Over Time?

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentLeever View Post
    That's because game reviewers tend to judge the classics from a modern point of view, comparing it to games of today. Which is pretty dumb to me, but more helpful for those who haven't played the game/other games from that era.

For me I think it has a lot to do with having been there at the time the game was new. I can't really go back to anything pre-NES, but still find new games to love from the 8-bit generation and onwards.

AVGN usually has good points about the games he plays, you're exagerrating there. But I could do without the image.
    I agree with being there when it was new. IMHO if it wowed me then, I still love it today. Plus I think things run in cycles. Sometimes I'm not in the mood but somewhere down the road, if I really like a game, sometime later I'll get the itch to play it again. Just my 2 cents.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In general, yes because it's going to become too familiar, or lose the wow factor as someone already mentioned. There are lots of games out there that were fun when they came out, but once you've seen it and done it, there's not a lot of incentive to go back. Or the mechanics might be too trying for your patience years later. Or there wasn't a good balance of challenge and reward, which makes it pointless to keep playing. There are tons of reasons games (or movies or books or any entertainment media, really) can lose their appeal over time.

However, I do find a lot of old games as much or more fun now than back in the day. In fact, I almost never play modern games anymore. 8- and 16-bit stuff is just more fun for me for a variety of reasons, but that's a separate thread. True classics like Pac Man and Asteroids have definitely held up, which is why they're... well... classics.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!