Thread: PS3 retrocompatibility quality question.

Strawberry (Level 2) [-Sentinel-]'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 retrocompatibility quality question.

Hello all!

I've been thinking about buying a PlayStation 3 for a long time, but I only got the money now. Since I still want to play a lot of PlayStation 2 games, I was thinking about getting the 60GB one, which is compatible with PS2 games. BUT it is kinda hard to find it here in Brazil. So, my question is: is it worth it? I would use my PS2 to play PS2 games in a plasma full HD TV, through video component connection. Would I get a very good improvement in video quality using a PS3 to play the PS2 games? And is there any information about an emulation compatibility with the newer PS3 hardware versions?
    Thanks for all the help! Really appreciate it!
    PSN ID: rodolfocm
    3DS FC: 1375-7284-4033

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Yes, PS2 games look good on PS3 and a HDTV, you can even add a smoothing filter if you like - I'm not a big fan of it, as it's just a TOUCH too subtle. (I think smoothing filters should really blow out square pixels to a noticeable degree ... this one just sort of softens them).

Should you try to get one?

I'd wait at least until Sony announces the Slim PS3 and put the price (possible price drop) and the specs out there.

They've recently patented a new type of PS2 software-based emulation, and with the decline of PS2 hardware sales, this may be the year that they put it back in.

If you come across a 60 Gig PS3 in the wild and it's not ridiculously priced, there's no shame in picking one up - but it may serve you to be patient.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

PS3 updates all PS2 games to 1080p.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I would honestly wait for an update of a possible new slim unit w/possible backwards compatibility or like Frankie says "if you find one cheap", otherwise I have to mention this little bit:

I know i'm not alone on being a 60GB owner who has had problems with Bluetooth connectivity. It seems a few of the earlier model PS3's (20/60 GB models) had certain range frequencies that were easily interrupted with the connections and would be prone to disconnects. I still swear by it's the EE chip and a mix-up with emulating the multi-tap.

Honestly I have played hell getting my 60GB controllers to stay connected to Bluetooth. I am now to the point where I have to keep my controllers connected via USB. I heard that newer models fixed this "frequency" and that the problems don't exist. In fact I bought my son a new 80GB model and he has never disconnected.

The next step i'm going to take to try and fix mine is order a new wifi/bluetooth board. I haven't done this yet and it may solve my problems, but I know Bluetooth disconnects were fairly common on the older model systems and it is quite annoying. I will also admit that having the awesome PS2 backward capability has made me overlook having to keep connected with cables as yes, it's a FANTASTIC feature and everyone should have it.

If you HAVE to get one, maybe getting one of the 80GB units that first had emulation may be the best bet as they were newer, not sure though.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 07-28-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you plan on using this for fighting games forget about it, the software upscaler makes them lag slightly ruining your timing for everything. Other than that is pretty good for casual gaming overall.

The controllers issue seems to be hit or miss situation, I have never had that problem not even once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 123►Genei-Jin View Post
    If you plan on using this for fighting games forget about it, the software upscaler makes them lag slightly ruining your timing for everything. Other than that is pretty good for casual gaming overall.

The controllers issue seems to be hit or miss situation, I have never had that problem not even once.
    I play PS3 and PS fighters on a Saturn USB pad and it works fine. I play PS2 fighters on an ASCII 6 button pad hooked up to a USB adapter. I haven't experienced a hint of lag on stuff like Street Fighter Anniversary collection or Alpha Anthology. Maybe I'm lucky, stupid or don't have all the filters on. I don't know, but it's not an issue for me at all.

Ps - I have a 60 gig console I'm looking to sell for fair market value. PM me if interested.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.
    So, having a PS3 with PS2 compatibility is a good thing. I mean, I haven't played much PS2, still have a lot of games I want to play, but I also want a PS3. Seems a good pick up for me, as long as it is not very expensive, otherwise I would just wait for the PS3 Slim.

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Maybe it's just me..but PS2 games look like shit on the PS3 to me.

Like, I tried playing Burnout Dominator and I couldn't see anything oncoming at me. Ico looked terrible.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    Maybe it's just me..but PS2 games look like shit on the PS3 to me.

Like, I tried playing Burnout Dominator and I couldn't see anything oncoming at me. Ico looked terrible.
    There are several output settings to take into account.

Is your PS3 outputting in a progressive scan mode? 720p or 1080p? (You do need to make sure that those scaling options are checked off properly in the video setup mode).

What kind of TV?

Are you using HDMI or component?

Do you have the RGB/cross reduction filters set in a non-optimal way?

I think the consensus is that PS2 games don't look terrible on a PS3, so your situation may have something to do with your setup (either your TV or your PS3).

Though, bottom line PS2 games in general don't look spectacular on HD setups, most PS2 games don't have high-def and/or progressive scan modes, they were right on the cusp of the technology being standard.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont really notice any difference with the upscaling, but it is great to have a PS1/2/3 all under one roof. That and the awesomeness that is wireless controllers.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    I dont really notice any difference with the upscaling, but it is great to have a PS1/2/3 all under one roof. That and the awesomeness that is wireless controllers.
    That's the most important point for me. I want to know if the upscaling make a good improvement in video quality comparing with a PS2 using component cable.
    Like:
    PlayStation 3 with HDMI running PS2 games Vs. PS2 with component cable running PS2 Games
    Both on a Full HD plasma TV: is the PS3 video noticeable better than a PS2?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I don't know about PS2 hooked up with component cables, but the PS2 titles I've played running at 1080p all look better than they did when I was playing them on a standard definition tv. Far better and it's definitely noticable.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I don't know about PS2 hooked up with component cables, but the PS2 titles I've played running at 1080p all look better than they did when I was playing them on a standard definition tv. Far better and it's definitely noticable.
    I concur, I noticed a difference when comparing the PS2 hooked up to component and the PS3 upscailing the games. There might not be a huge difference for some games, but other games you can tell there's a big difference. Only reason why I have my PS2 around is for the chance that a game I have won't be 100% compatible, I had to finish Yakuza off on my PS2 because it kept on freezing during the last couple of fights towards the end of the game.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On my Sony Bravia 32" LCD tv, PS3 running PS2 games through HDMI (smoothing on) looks better than PS2 running PS2 games through component. I don't know about PS3 with component; didn't bother with it since I had HDMI already.

I noticed though that PS3 running PS1 games through HDMI (with smoothing turned off) looks really bad (worst than on PS1 or PS2), so just always keep smoothing on.

Also, I have tons of fighting games on PS1/2/3 and I don't notice any lag. I use the PS2 Saturn pads and the Madcatz FightPad.
    Last edited by PSony; 07-29-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I play all my ps2 games on a HD CRT tv with component cables on a PS2, looks far better then my ps3/LCD combo.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

i would either wait for the slim ps3, or just play your ps2 games on your ps2 system.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PS3 upscaling introduces lag, which makes a lot of games harder to play. I also don't think it makes the games look much better.

You can however play PS2 games on a PS3 using component cables and standard definition, and I think it's identical to how a PS2 would look. I am talking about the 60 GB model by the way.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026