Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I want that Fear Factory T. Thanks for posting your preview experience!
    Heh, that's my old Digimortal T-shirt, which I call my "lucky shirt." It's worked for me so far: among the things I've done while wearing it were go to this show, meet Bruce Campbell and get married. Given all that, I'm afraid you can't have it. You're welcome, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn View Post
    Cool review. Going to be hard to wait for the release now...
    Thanks! And yeah, I know what you mean. I was just given a small taste of it, but it left me wanting more.

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Awesome, just the update I was looking for. Can't wait to give this game a try this coming fall.
    If the full game lives up to what I played... I can't wait either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nintega Grafx-16 View Post
    I really hope this new Splatterhouse reboot doesn't end up becoming another God of War ripoff #99.
    Having never played a GoW game in my life, I'm not sure what a ripoff would be like.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Naw, don't worry 'bout it. It's the same as saying that the Beatles ripped-off Oasis. Inconceivable!

Since GoW has been the top of ultra-violent action recently, it owes more to Splatterhouse for it's trailblazing, even if it does lift a bit of it's modern style in turn.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Here's hoping most people will look at it the same way then.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I really hope this new Splatterhouse reboot doesn't end up becoming another Castlevania Lament of Innocence ripoff #99.
    Fixed. Just because God of War made the style popular doesn't mean whatever game ripped off whatever.

Devil May Cry is the original game of this style, however the gameplay of LoI was very different. Instead of a single attack leading into other single attacks to create your set of combos you were given a light and heavy attack button with which to do pre existing combos from. Multiple different types of combos could be led into and you also had a few single attack moves that you could lead into each other, start off the combo, break off the combo to lead into an air combo, etc.

GoW is a ripoff of LoI's style except that GoW's has less of a variety, a lot of useless attacks, and the game just over isn't that good. It doesn't suck, but not as good as LoI. Better level design for sure, but the gameplay on LoI is amazing. Dante's Inferno is a complete ripoff of GoW from how spells are used, how you evade, to how you open doors, get soul points, mp points, and life points. It's just a much better game due to the combat system.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-19-2010 at 03:16 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Is that what the GoW games play like? DMC? Something tells me I should have known that, but I've never bothered to look up any info on them, so I didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Similar. If you've played Castlevania Lament of Innocence or Dante's Inferno it's closer to those games. If you haven't, then it's pretty much yeah, DMC. The GoW games are extremely overrated. They're good, but not at the level people praise them. Not even close.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-20-2010 at 01:47 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Amnion-Chorion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, it actually has 2D stages mixed in with the 3D ones? That sounds great! I've had it preordered forever, and now I'm even more excited! Just hope it sells well, cause more Splatterhouse would be fantastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    Is that what the GoW games play like? DMC? Something tells me I should have known that, but I've never bothered to look up any info on them, so I didn't.
    Yeah...like Devil May Cry if it was nothing but a button masher. DMC requires a lot more finesse IMO. That being said (and having JUST played through the whole GoW trilogy and HATED it...HATED!!!) I can't see Splatterhouse working with that control/gameplay style. It'll be different for sure. I'm expecting more of a 3D Final Fight feel too it...like a tighter more responsive God Hand or something...
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Similar. If you've played Castlevania Lament of Innocence or Dante's Inferno it's closer to those games. If you haven't, then it's pretty much yeah, DMC. The GoW games are extremely overrated. They're good, but not at the level people praise them. Not even close.
    I own LoI, DMC 1 and Rygar: The Legendary Adventure (and Bayonetta too, that count?), and I like them all quite a bit. The demo I played reminded me of them a little in some parts, but not very much, certainly not enough to be considered a rip-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnion-Chorion View Post
    Wow, it actually has 2D stages mixed in with the 3D ones? That sounds great! I've had it preordered forever, and now I'm even more excited! Just hope it sells well, cause more Splatterhouse would be fantastic.
    And I'm hoping to get on at the ground floor if there's a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    Yeah...like Devil May Cry if it was nothing but a button masher. DMC requires a lot more finesse IMO. That being said (and having JUST played through the whole GoW trilogy and HATED it...HATED!!!) I can't see Splatterhouse working with that control/gameplay style. It'll be different for sure. I'm expecting more of a 3D Final Fight feel too it...like a tighter more responsive God Hand or something...
    If it helps, your primary weapons in Splatterhouse are your fists and your body, as I recall. The weapons are going to be used sparingly, if I recall one of the Play Magazine articles (the October '09 one, I think) correctly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Sorry for all the off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    DMC can be a button masher also. I dislike GoW also but there is one standard combo list: Square x 1-4, Triangle. Triangle x 3. Triangle, Square x 1-2, Triangle, and then all the single standard attacks. Most attacks are weak or useless so you just use Triangle x 3, or Square x 2, Triangle(atleast I do) on both GoW 1 and 2, most likely 3 as well.

Here's a video of me playing Devil May Cry. This video is actually three years old and I have a reckless play style usually going for stylish above all else(including evasion.) That's a brand new game on Very Hard on DMC3 SE, S rank on the second stage. I also S ranked the first, played the third but only A rank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T88wIt6rrtg

From my reckless play style it looks as if DMC3 was being played like a button masher. I'm fairly good at the series and much better now than you saw me there, but there are amazing combo videos that make me realize I'm just a noob like most every other player.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds as if the "Splatterkills" are more input combo based than the recent glut of quick-time finishers. Please do correct me if I am mistaken here. RE4 and GoW handled quick-time events/kills (respectively) extremely well, but it's beyond played-out by this point (at least until they are handled in a new way or to a different effect). I'm glad they didn't fall into that design trap.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Sounds as if the "Splatterkills" are more input combo based than the recent glut of quick-time finishers. Please do correct me if I am mistaken here.
    You would be correct. Different controller moves = different Splatterkills.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

This all making it harder to wait for the game to come out....Thanks for the info Dire I have been worried about how this would turn out and it sounds like its going to be pretty awesome. Now I wonder what the conditions are for unlocking the original games will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks Dire. your review has me even more excited for this game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't wait to play a new Splatterhouse. I've been looking forward to this one since I saw it listed a year or two ago. I guess I was always a Friday the 13th fan, so this one drew me in easily. I've been pissed at Namco since I spent 12+ hours stuck on a single race in Ridge Racer 6, which I still can't beat. I just hope this one doesn't drive me as nuts.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll wait for reviews. I am still very skeptical of this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I'll wait for reviews. I am still very skeptical of this game.
    Give me a couple of months and I'll have one for you. I intend to call it as it is: if it's great, I'll say it's great and if it sucks, I'll say it sucks, etc. Namco's not paying me anything and it's my duty to the fans to see that they get an honest review from someone that knows the series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

New interview with Dan Tovar on Gametrailers

What Dan told me in Worcester, both before, during and after playing the demo, he repeated almost word-for-word in this video. Having seen the blood feature in action, I can confirm that's how it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lol hell, I just realized I'm about 40 miles east of the studio. (In Boston.) No realistic chance of making it over there, though, I don't think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

You're saying you live 40 miles east of Worcester, I take it. I'm not sure what studio you're talking about, though.