Thread: Half Life 2 Episode Two Ending **Spoilers!**

Insert Coin (Level 0) retroborg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Half Life 2 Episode Two Ending **Spoilers!**

I just completed Half Life 2 Episode 2 on the PC. It was better compared to Episode 1 as it felt longer and graphics were improved. The story line was dark, sinister & dramatic as it should be in a post-apocalyptic sci-fi game, with nice twists and contrasts in the tale, but what greatly surprised me was the ending!
    How could they have killed Dr. Eli Vance, a key role character in such a culminating pivotal moment, right before they embark on their search for the Borealis science vessel in the Arctic? Twice he tried to reveal something to Gordon about the sinister past at Black Mesa, but was interrupted and said that they would talk about it later! So what were those dark secrets and who will reveal them now, the G-Man?

I prefer sad / dramatic endings over the smirky / corny endings we usually get in modern boring Hollywood films, but I think they should have saved such an event for Episode 3.
    Over all this is an awesome series and can’t wait for Episode 3! Anyone know of the release date?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

half life just annoys me, it's suspose to be this epic shooter with no cutscenes but whenever there is a "cutscene" with that alyx talking on a computer you find yourself not giving a shit cause you'd rather watch a movie of a cutscene, so you are able to run around in this "cutscene" and you just find yourself jumping on peoples heads...other then that the game still isn't that action packed...

well that's my opinion.
    League of Legends referral link:
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4be72d0a12a60
    ^^ DotA players click the link ^^

Insert Coin (Level 0) WildWillyWilson's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I thoroughly enjoyed Episode 2 (and the previous ones). Very sad ending, who knows how things turn out in Episode 3 though...

Its gone quite on the released date side... last I heard it was coming out on PSN and X Box Live but dont know when...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Therealqtip View Post
    half life just annoys me, it's suspose to be this epic shooter with no cutscenes but whenever there is a "cutscene" with that alyx talking on a computer you find yourself not giving a shit cause you'd rather watch a movie of a cutscene, so you are able to run around in this "cutscene" and you just find yourself jumping on peoples heads...other then that the game still isn't that action packed...

well that's my opinion.

I guess I prefer the exact opposite. I hate watching cutscenes, and love the interactivity and the seamless transitions of Half-Life 2.

I'd also love more Half Life Episodes after I finished playing the Orange Box. Best FPS I've played in a long time.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to say that I found out about Eli's fate before I played (darn you, Wikipedia addiction!), but I was still very surprised. I found his death to be very moving, even though the choice of dialog and voice acting may not have been Oscar-material. The emotion was there, and it really hurt to watch. It's scenes like that that make me wish that games could get away from that cheezy dialog stigma.

It's actually more interesting when people don't die all at the end. Episode 3 is going to be THAT much more interesting because of this.

For those who haven't heard, Valve posted a voice acting position for Cave Johnson, the enigmatic CEO of Aperture Science. While most people are speculating that this is for the "more Portal" that we were promised, I personally think that it's for Episode 3. While Portal has its own fanbase, it's still part of the Half-Life story, and I can actually see "more Portal" and Episode 3 being the same thing. It may alienate some Portal fans, but I can't think of a better way to build on Episode 2's ending.

I don't think that you can judge Half-Life 2 for its action, because that's not what it is. It's certainly better than the generic shooter drivel we've had this past decade, but it's equally impressive for its story and design qualities. Half-Life as a series is about using the shooter format to tell a narrative, something that I have yet to see done well elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How long have we been waiting for Episode 3? Two years now? I love the Half-Life series, but the fact that Valve thought it would take them six months to do each episode was a joke. There's been no information on it at all, not even any screenshots. Maybe we'll hear something about it this fall.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman View Post
    ...Valve thought it would take them six months to do each episode...
    What? I thought everyone was used to it by now.