Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    And I searched OPCFG, and Google said it might harm my computer. Dang.
    That was on the old archive at Hardcore Gaming 101. I have no idea why it would be doing that. It shouldn't do that anymore, as I've merged the archive with the new OPCFG and have been systematically removing links, old Guestbook links that go nowhere and other such stuff.

The New OPCFG: http://opcfg.kontek.net and the OPCFG Archive: http://opcfg.kontek.net/archive

It shouldn't set off any alarms now. I've been running it through Google and it's not displaying the same message. If it does for you, let me know ASAP.
    Last edited by Dire 51; 08-06-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Man, I just remembered this vivid memory of a Zelda site I used to go to. Man, I can barely remember that. That, and I can remember at one point in time when Sonic hacks weren't flooding the internet like mice. And back when Ask had Jeeves (the flat 2D one), when Yahoo! looked like 4th grade crap, and when Youtube didn't whore itself out. It's hard to believe that Tim Berners Lee made the WWW for information, but as shown by today, a lot of that's really retarded information. It'd be fun to use a time machine to scare Lee in 1993 by showing him a furry website. God, the internet's warped itself so many times.

Oh, and the new OPCFG is fine with my Kaspersky.

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by p_b View Post
    Davesclassics, before it turned into a virus-throwing crapfest of a site.
    Seconded. Dave's Classics was my go-to site for years. Anyone remember why they shut down? Wasn't there an issue with them hosting roms or something?

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Speaking of old school, I originally started my Policenauts and Snatcher site on my good ol' webtv....and this month is my 10 year anniversary! I think it's finally time to take it down....
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    Speaking of old school, I originally started my Policenauts and Snatcher site on my good ol' webtv....and this month is my 10 year anniversary! I think it's finally time to take it down....
    More like archive it so it can be used for an idea of mine: a book describing the history of gaming communities on the internet. I think it should be called 56k.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    Anyone remember the site Gamers Intelligence Agency? I have no idea what the URL was, but this was a pretty good site. It shut down because they could not pay for hosting.
    Thegia.com? I'm not sure about that one though.

Quote Originally Posted by cityside75 View Post
    Seconded. Dave's Classics was my go-to site for years. Anyone remember why they shut down? Wasn't there an issue with them hosting roms or something?
    I think so. They had tons of roms and were quiet prominent, i.e. they even featured in gaming magazines. So I guess they were an ideal target to go for...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Man, I need to see if the Internet Archive has any archivings of these places...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Also, anyone ever seen TMK in the past using archive.org? It actually looks BETTER.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Oh, and the new OPCFG is fine with my Kaspersky.
    Cool, thanks for the update.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    Cool, thanks for the update.
    Yeah. I can't also believe how viruses have evolved with the internet. It started as computer crashing, but then went keyogging and money stealing after they realized there's no point in crashing other computers.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That 1996 Nintendo site looks familiar, but I know I was never on it. Must've seen it in a Nintendo Power screen shot or something. I didn't get on the site until 1998, so that's how I remember it. It's also the site that really got me going on the internet too. I got my first computer in 1998, and for the first few months, I barely turned it on except to research and write stuff for school. But eventually I decided to go to nintendo.com, and I got hooked, especially once I registered on the BBS (with this same user name, so my 15-year-old self is still tormenting me). By 1999, I was on the computer, particularly message boards, all the time.

I've had a web site myself in some shape or form since 2000 or 2001. I used Homestead and Geocities in the past, maybe others too, who knows. Geocities died for me a long time ago since I ran out of space with them in 2003, and from that point on, I've been hosted by a friend who has his own domain and generously gives me basically unlimited storage and bandwidth. If I ever have any problems with that, my boyfriend has a domain now too, so I'm set. It's interesting looking through my update archive, though. I still have updates saved from as far back as June 2001. I even have an update I made a few days after 9/11. I've never been big on the whole social networking and blog movements, so I always used my web site updates as a place to both write about my site work and a little about what's going on in my life and the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    That 1996 Nintendo site looks familiar, but I know I was never on it. Must've seen it in a Nintendo Power screen shot or something. I didn't get on the site until 1998, so that's how I remember it. It's also the site that really got me going on the internet too. I got my first computer in 1998, and for the first few months, I barely turned it on except to research and write stuff for school. But eventually I decided to go to nintendo.com, and I got hooked, especially once I registered on the BBS (with this same user name, so my 15-year-old self is still tormenting me). By 1999, I was on the computer, particularly message boards, all the time.

I've had a web site myself in some shape or form since 2000 or 2001. I used Homestead and Geocities in the past, maybe others too, who knows. Geocities died for me a long time ago since I ran out of space with them in 2003, and from that point on, I've been hosted by a friend who has his own domain and generously gives me basically unlimited storage and bandwidth. If I ever have any problems with that, my boyfriend has a domain now too, so I'm set. It's interesting looking through my update archive, though. I still have updates saved from as far back as June 2001. I even have an update I made a few days after 9/11. I've never been big on the whole social networking and blog movements, so I always used my web site updates as a place to both write about my site work and a little about what's going on in my life and the world.
    See, people? This is how I meant the topic to go! Remembering old gamings sites by going on monologues!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, anyone ever seen TMK in the past using archive.org? It actually looks BETTER.
    Maybe it's just the url I'm using, but it's too bad that it only goes back to 2005.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Famidrive-16 View Post
    Maybe it's just the url I'm using, but it's too bad that it only goes back to 2005.
    It's the URL. You need www.classicgaming.com/tmk when going. It's TMK from 1999-2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

tsr's NES archive was a favorite of mine way back in '96. Amazingly, it's still up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    tsr's NES archive was a favorite of mine way back in '96. Amazingly, it's still up.
    I went there a lot in 2007 out of boredom. Helps a guy understand his NES more.

EDIT: 4 month bump. Sweetness.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Ahhh, I love that old Sega.com site from '96 to '97. I've spent a lot of time digging through that site, there's actually a lot of info and downloads on there to be had.

Very nice site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll do you all one better.. I actually SAVED some sites back then and still have them. I dunno why

Someone mentioned Daves Classics.. well how about this 1996 Daves Videogame Classics I don't think even webarchive has info on this site that far back since since that's when it was located on the California State University edu sites.
    Last edited by NE146; 12-03-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    I'll do you all one better.. I actually SAVED some sites back then and still have them. I dunno why

Someone mentioned Daves Classics.. well how about this 1996 Daves Videogame Classics I don't think even webarchive has info on this site that far back since since that's when it was located on the California State University edu sites.
    This thread needs that- fan archivings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post

OMG, I remember that site! Wow, blast from the past, I loved that place. Call me crazy, but I also love the "look" and "feel" of sites back then. So simple and retro!