Thread: Video Game prices outside the US

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video Game prices outside the US

People chime in, was wondering what people outside the US pay currently for games and consoles (classic and modern, New and used). I've seen the prices in places like Brazil, so curious if other countries are similar.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

This really didn't belong in Buy/Sell. Since nothing specifically is being sold and the fact that this topic is really nebulous i'm moving it to What's it Worth.

clarkkr79, it would probably help if you wanted specific info on systems or games and if you were wanting to know what someone paid for a 'local' system/game to them or for them to import a US sytem/game.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Strawberry (Level 2) [-Sentinel-]'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, everything in Brazil is expensive.
    What exactly you want to know about?
    PSN ID: rodolfocm
    3DS FC: 1375-7284-4033

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Until the 32-bit generation, the price for games much noticeably higher in Canada than in USA. With the 32-bit generation, they were about the same. Now the prices are the same, but we don't get some of the great sales US chains seem to offer. Gaming hardware is a little more expensive in Canada to this day (add $10-$20 to the USA price).

All the above might be due to changes in the USA/Canada exchange rate, I haven't looked into it.

Quote Originally Posted by [-Sentinel-] View Post
    Yeah, everything in Brazil is expensive.
    Yeah but your beaches make up for it. va va va voooooooomm!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Retro hunting here in the UK is generally a lot more expensive than in what seems to be in the US. Main retail places are a joke when it comes to retro, only Gamestation dabbles in it, but it has seriously cut down since GAME bought them. And the prices are generally much higher than what you would pay anywhere else.

Minor retail chains and independent stores near me also deal in retro games, but again the prices aren't anything amazing. Stores like cash generator can be good for cheap games (I've often picked up Dreamcast and Master system games for a £1) but they nearly always only carry sport and racing titles.

Charity shops very rarely have games at all, and even then I only ever seem to encounter the odd PS2 sport title. Amazon and Ebay are usually your best bet :S
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I visited India a few years ago, PAL format Playstation games were massively expensive...something like $20 for games that were readily available in the U.S. for $10 or less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

In Mexico you pay higher prices than in the USA and you can pretty much choose 1 of 2 paths :

- Informal Commerce
    - Formal Commerce

You would be surprised of much difference makes 5 usd on software sales ....

In a formal store you pay 750 o 950 pesos (13 pesos/usd) for a regular edition of a Ps3 or Xbox game and 1,200 to 1,700 pesos for a special edition. Usually Nintendo DS and PSP games are sold from 400 to 650 pesos.

The price of the Ps3 on formal commerce is 6,900 to 8,600 pesos.

The Wii is sold almost in every place in 5,499 pesos.

The basic Xbox 360 sells for 3,600 to 6,500 for more advanced models.

The Nintendo DS is sold for 2,500 to 3,900 for the DSi

The PSP is sold almost in every place in 3,500 pesos.

The Ps2 still sells strong and is priced almost in every place in 2,800 for a soccer bundle, that includes PES and a memory card.

In Mexico you can sell many retro stuff for great prices, everything MEGAMAN or FINAL FANTASY is very popular ... also fighting games
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Speaking of Mexico, I recently bought a Mystic Warriors recently. Tossed out the shipping box so I can't say where it came from, though it has a sticker from a games place on it. Very pleased, $85 total to get it shipped here. Considering the game, I was more than happy to do it. Works perfectly.

Hong Kong often has good stuff actually - some people say you can get all sorts of nasty pirates and whatnot from there, but I've never had a cartridge arrive from Hong Kong that seemed suspicious at all (aside from maybe the pirates I listed recently in my pictures thread, but those weren't sold as originals nor do I remember where they came from).

Overall, feeling I've led a charmed life with my games purchases (especially w/PCBs), but a little smarts helps; knowing a good community for buying as well. I don't think I've ever been ripped off (aside from Epicenter, but that one I can somewhat forgive, though it wasn't right) - at least not intentionally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    In Mexico you pay higher prices than in the USA and you can pretty much choose 1 of 2 paths :

- Informal Commerce
    - Formal Commerce
    I don't really understand the difference here. I understand that one's more expensive, but what defines one place as formal and the other informal? does the informal store sell bootlegs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I don't really understand the difference here. I understand that one's more expensive, but what defines one place as formal and the other informal? does the informal store sell bootlegs?
    The difference is that informal commerce doesn't pay any kind of taxes, so every informal sales are "dead sales" for the Mexican economy; many of those games are bought on USA and the taxes that they paid are recovered by "Manifiesto"....

Also, informal sales usually sells stolen games and bootlegs; its quite easy in Mexico to mod a console for 300 pesos; the most popular for that use is the original Xbox and the PSP; many of those sellers offer a modded PSP for 3,000 used or 3,500 new with a 2 or 4 GB Memory card full with games and ready to play.

Regarding the comments of Ed; in Mexico you can find very good prices for some games, being new and retro; and you can be very confident about original games, in Mexico no one produces high quality bootlegs for videogames, you can pretty much spot a bootleg even if you don't have experience.

For example, i recently bought a lot of 10 pokemon sapphire, 10 pokemon ruby and 30 golden sun 2 for $ 3 usd a piece, factory sealed and 100% original, not the bootleg crap that you usually found in USA.

EDIT

I forgot to add, the places where you can find formal commerce of video games are only in Malls and super markets ..... but in Mexico we have the same amount of "established" flea markets, that's where you find the informal commerce ... i will post a pic when i have the chance
    Last edited by eskobar; 08-07-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I forgot to add, the places where you can find formal commerce of video games are only in Malls and super markets ..... but in Mexico we have the same amount of "established" flea markets, that where you find the informal commerce ... i will post a pic when i have the chance
    Please do - I am very interested in seeing a picture or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for responding to my comment in such detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    Please do - I am very interested in seeing a picture or two.
    Yeah, please do. I'd like to see those as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In Argentina everithing is very expensiveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Wii --- 400 - 500dls
    PS3 ---80gb - 600 dls /// 160gb 800 dls
    Xbox 360 --- arcade 500 dls /// elite 700 dls
    Ds 180 dls
    Dsi 279dls
    psp 300 dls
    ps2 190 dls
    ps1 100 dls
    dreamcast 100 -120 dls
    gamecube 100 - 120 dls

i have a wii , a ds lite and a dsi, i overpayed everithing !!!

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

- Informal Commerce
    - Formal Commerce

You would be surprised of much difference makes 5 usd on software sales ....

In a formal store you pay 750 o 950 pesos (13 pesos/usd) for a regular edition of a Ps3 or Xbox game and 1,200 to 1,700 pesos for a special edition. Usually Nintendo DS and PSP games are sold from 400 to 650 pesos.

The price of the Ps3 on formal commerce is 6,900 to 8,600 pesos.

The Wii is sold almost in every place in 5,499 pesos.

The basic Xbox 360 sells for 3,600 to 6,500 for more advanced models.

The Nintendo DS is sold for 2,500 to 3,900 for the DSi

The PSP is sold almost in every place in 3,500 pesos.

The Ps2 still sells strong and is priced almost in every place in 2,800 for a soccer bundle, that includes PES and a memory card.

In Mexico you can sell many retro stuff for great prices, everything MEGAMAN or FINAL FANTASY is very popular ... also fighting games
    At those prices:

PS3 - $530 to $661

Wii - $473

Xbox 360 - $276 - $500

PS2 - $215

PSP - $269

DS - $192

DSi - $300

Those prices are wacked out, especially for Nintendo Stuff. Seriously, what is up with those prices in Mexico?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default "El puente del Papa"

"El puente del Papa" is one fairly big flea market for the weekend; it's name was originally "El Puente de San Luisito" and was changed to "El Puente del Papa (Pope's Bridge)" after a visit from John Paul II.

Here you can find games and systems for pretty much any console, sometimes you can find Japanese or European games. Bootlegs are sold in big numbers and here you can take your console to install a mod chip in only 15 minutes ...

You can find vintage clothes, vintage electronics, computers, blu rays, vintage audio (i have find some great McIntosh amps here) and too much more stuff.

About 30 spots here are dedicated to video games ... it's in the center of the city and it has a park lot with capacity for more than 500 cars.

Whenever i can i will post pictures of more places in my city, there are many good places to buy games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, that's really cool. Would that place only include the informal shops selling new imported/bootleg games, or would there be shops selling legitimate used games too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Wow, that's really cool. Would that place only include the informal shops selling new imported/bootleg games, or would there be shops selling legitimate used games too?
    In this place you equally find original and bootlegs, i estimate that every weekend at least 400 original games are sold ... many of those are used games.

This is a regular flea market but there are many mall-alike buildings that specialize in selling used and brand-new original games, but those establishments pay ZERO taxes and have very similar prices to a SEARS, LIVERPOOL, BLOCKBUSTER or GAME PLANET, which pay taxes and create formal jobs.

I will post more pictures for those markets ...

This picture is from the other side of the parking lot ... you can spot a Liverpool a few meters away. And behind that Liverpool, there is a Gameplanet, a Sears, Sanborns, etc ...

Last edited by eskobar; 08-09-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: +

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those are some nice pictures eskobar. Looks huge compared to the flea market I frequent, how long does it take you on an average visit to look around at everything?

The flea market near me has about 3 people that buy games regularly if they see them at yardsales/auctions cheap and ain't exactly dedicated video game sellers. Non of these sellers have really had anything old this year as they have probably not been seeing the old stuff dirt cheap like they used to in the wild lol

I have actually been meaning to take some pictures at my flea market as they used to have some arcade machines set up but they have been sitting around rotting all summer for sale at $290 a pop which is too rich for me but for all I know might be a decent price for a more dedicated arcade collector on some of the cabinets.