Thread: Game stores & arcades near Toledo & Detroit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game stores & arcades near Toledo & Detroit?

I'll be visiting family in Toledo & Plymouth later this month. Any arcades or classic game stores worth visiting?

So far, my list is:

1 - Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum

Short list so far...

Thanks,
    -Jason

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Allied Record Exchange in Toledo. They have about four or five locations. Most of my collection came from there.

Video Game Underground is decent, usually has some obscure stuff too.

There is another store on Alexis road although I can't think of the name, but the owner is usually high (seriously) and doesn't have much retro stuff.

Avoid the Game Room. It's all tabletop stuff, not video games.

We have plenty of Goodwills and Salvation Armys too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

There used to be a store in Berkley that carred some classic gaming stuff (Time something or another). I haven't been there in years, but I cleaned out all their good stuff back then (got my CtCW there for $2 IIRC).

There's not much around the Detroit area worth mentioning. A few small shops with over priced commons are all I ever see. I'd be interested in seeing what people post.

As for arcades there's Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor. The SE Michigan guys are planning on getting together for a day of fun in Mid-Sept (12th I think).

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Allied Record Exchange: duh, I knew about this place but forgot! My mom lives right near one...one that was closed at my last visit (off Central just W of 23). The one near Westgate is pretty close (my old stomping grounds). I'll go there (unless one of the other stores is dramatically better...?).

Video Game Underground: looks decent & not far from Mom--will check it out

Mystery Alexis Store: Family Video @ 4250 W Alexis is the most likely search result...but with a name like that, I hope the owner isn't high all the time...

Pinball Pete's! Yesss!!! My brother used to live in A^2. Used to go there a lot--played some pre-release pinballs back in the day. Gotta go there!

Thanks,
    -Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    There used to be a store in Berkley that carred some classic gaming stuff (Time something or another). I haven't been there in years, but I cleaned out all their good stuff back then (got my CtCW there for $2 IIRC).
    The shop is called 'Time Travelers'
    They specialize in vintage toys but do have a pretty good selection of games. I had got a few things there over the times and prices are actually pretty decent, unlike the prices for toys…

There is also a shop in Canton called 'Destiny Games'. They are new and have a decent selection of games from Atari to current gen and all in between. Prices vary as some stuff is priced well and others are questionable. I picked up Saturn Bomberman for $35 as well as a few SMS games. The owner is Ted and he offers system service and repair too. Destiny Games also has lan set up - I know they like to do competitions with The Game Yard…

And in regards to Pinball Petes, I regret to inform that they are on the decline. Machines are not maintained well and such. Forum member 'ubersaurus' can also attest to this…
    A better arcade would be AFC in Oakland Mall. My wife is good friends with the manager and she goes above and beyond to make the place a pleasant one… They also have Tekken 6 as well as SFIV for fighting fans… and they have Zero Gunner 2 too!
    Last edited by TurboGenesis; 08-07-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, TurboGenesis-

Maybe I'll skip Pinball Pete's--we'll see if I'm in the neighborhood. My mom also found a review for PP that said they're on the decline too. Darn--that place used to be great!

Canton, OH & Troy, MI will be a bit too far out of my way for this trip, thanks.

I'm unable to find anything on Time Travelers in Toledo--are you sure that's the right name? Got an address?

Thanks!
    -Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by infernolab View Post
    Thanks, TurboGenesis-

Maybe I'll skip Pinball Pete's--we'll see if I'm in the neighborhood. My mom also found a review for PP that said they're on the decline too. Darn--that place used to be great!

Canton, OH & Troy, MI will be a bit too far out of my way for this trip, thanks.

I'm unable to find anything on Time Travelers in Toledo--are you sure that's the right name? Got an address?

Thanks!
    -Jason
    Canton as in Canton, Michigan. If you are staying in Plymouth, Canton is directly to the south next to Plymouth. Destiny Games is on Ford just east of Lilley (Lilley is Mill St. in Plymouth) It is in the same plaza as Shark's Club (pool hall)
    Destiny Games
    42134 Ford Rd
    Canton, MI 48187
    (734) 404-5548

For Time Travelers that is in Berkley:
    Time Travelers
    3277 W. 12 Mile Rd.
    Berkley, MI 48072
    (248) 548-7213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Mystery Alexis Store: Family Video @ 4250 W Alexis is the most likely search result...but with a name like that, I hope the owner isn't high all the time...
    That's not it. They're a video store chain that localized in the midwest. Good stuff (rent there weekly), but if they have games for sale, it is all modern.

The high kid's store is called RePlay. He just recently moved into a bigger building in the same plaza: http://toledo.craigslist.org/emd/1314409531.html

I haven't been in there since the move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the info--this is plenty to keep me busy! :]

-Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll second the Videogame Underground. A lot of older (& import stuff). And the store owner is a really nice guy.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Just for the record, I went into the new Replay and it's worth the trip. It is mostly DVDs, but they have a lot stuff. Master System games are hard to come by around here, and they have a small stack. Saturn, N64, NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. Lots of stuff to go around, and prices worth looking into.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, Pinball Pete's must've been reeeeeeally good before, if you guys think it's gone downhill!!! :]

Just got back. Loved it! Haven't seen that many pinballs in an arcade in ages. Most of the ones turned on were in good condition, w/ few or no problems. Great selection of old & new games. Even a disassembled Road Riot pair crammed under the stairs...

I hadn't been to PP's since it was upstairs next to Wazoo, near the U of M campus. That locale was pretty dark & dingy.

This locale is big & airy & bright, but hooooooooooot! Sweating just playing pinball!

Thanks!
    -Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I hadn't been to PP's since it was upstairs next to Wazoo, near the U of M campus. That locale was pretty dark & dingy.
    Oh yeah, I remember that.

Good to hear it's not as bad as I remember. I guess you did miss the 'golden age' when they had Gaplus, Crazy Climber, Major Havoc, Space Invaders, DK, DK jr, Pengo, Mr. Do, and several other machines. Thats the last place I ever remember seeing a Major Havoc until Retrotopia at VGExpo.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

Gibralter Trade Center in Mt. Clemens has several classic gaming stores amongst other oddities. There is a store at the corner of 14 mile and main in Clawson that sells used records, used/classic video games and cool stuff, the name escapes me at the moment.

Good luck!
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicGameTrader View Post
    There is a store at the corner of 14 mile and main in Clawson that sells used records, used/classic video games and cool stuff, the name escapes me at the moment.
    Flipside records.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys didn't steer me wrong, thanks!

I hit the Allied Record Exchanges on Executive Parkway & Reynolds. Got a lot of goodies there.

Replay was very good, with some good prices too.

Video Game Underground was a little on the small side, & the prices were a little higher.

All around, good stuff!

Tomorrow: Marvin's!

Thanks,
    -Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Howdy-

I visited the family again & will revive this thread w/ the results of this trip:

Toledo:
    - RePlay: best all-around selection & prices. Some obscure items--good deals on 2600 cart bundles, I wanted to get some hardware (sticks, wheels, controllers) but didn't have room in my luggage to lug them. 3816 W. Alexis, Toledo, OH 43625. 419-720-4359. M-Sa 11-7, Su 12-5.
    - Allied Record Exchange (all 3): fair selection, fair prices. 1: 1710 South Reynolds Road, Toledo, OH 41614. 419-861-1605. Hours? 2: 3550 Executive Pkwy # 4, Toledo, OH 43606. 419-536-9890. Hours? 3: 1734 West Laskey Road, Toledo, OH 43613. 419-474-3472. Hours?
    - Video Game Underground (new location): bigger than old location, OK selection (mostly new stuff), a few bargain bins, not bad, Neo Geo arcade game in the corner. 2039 W. Laskey Rd., Toledo, Ohio 43613. 419-472-5443. M-R 11-8, F-Sa 11-9, Su 12-5.

Michigan:
    - Game Glory (and 2 other booths) in the Taylor flea market/swap meet area in a strip mall--Game Glory had a great selection but high prices. 2 other stores were pretty good but small. Some beat-up arcade games here & there. Lots & lots of other swap meet goodies: tools, computer stuff, DVDs, CDs, etc.--I wish I'd had more time to browse around here. 22525 Ecorse Road Taylor Mi, 48180. 313-295-6901. W-R 10-6, F-Sa 10-8, Su 10-6.
    - Gameplay (in Southgate): good selection, high prices. 13498 Dix Toledo Road, Southgate, MI 48195. 734-225-6516. CLOSED? WEBSITE DOWN!
    - Time Travelers: AWESOME!!! Amazingly big selection of toys, comics, toys, collectibles, toys, collectible card games, toys, & tons of video games. Lots of the older games are just in boxes behind the counter & you'll need assistance from an employee to browse them. I got about 10 Turbo Grafx games at fair prices & the owner gave me 25% off for the purchase. 3277 12 Mile Road, Berkley, MI 48072. 248-556-2695. M-Sa 11-7, Su 12-5.
    - Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum: wonderful as always. A fair selection of modern games (4x Wave Runner broken, Beach-Head etc. VR setup, Lucky & Crash, Galaga/Ms. Pac cabaret, & a few others). I went for the pins, which were *all* in absolutely wonderful condition (I saw *zero* flaws!): Firepower, Theater of Magic, Funhouse, El Dorado, Simpsons Pinball Party, Avatar, Iron Man, Family Guy, Lord of the Rings, & maybe 1-2 more modern Sterns. 31005 Orchard Lake Rd, Farmington Hills, MI 48334. 248-626-5020. M-R 10-9, F-Sa 10-11, Su 11-9.

Enjoy!
    -Jason
    Last edited by Jasonbar; 06-19-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some more notes from my recent trip to the Toledo/Detroit area:

Destiny Games in Canton. AWESOME! The cleanest, most organized, most correctly alphabetized game store I've ever seen. I've never seen so many CD-i games in one place! (Too bad I hate CD-i) Not enough TG16/PCE for my taste, & no Vectrex, but an awesome selection all around. Nice, knowledgeable staff. Big sale on Black Friday.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/destiny-games-canton
    http://www.destiny-games.com/

Get Your Game On in Ann Arbor. Small, nothing special. Nothing older than NES.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/get-your-game-on-ann-arbor

Replay in Toledo. Alexis store is still very good. Didn't go to Reynolds store.
    http://www.replayoftoledo.com/

Allied Record Exchange in Toledo. Still pretty good, but small & dingy, like any "good" old record store. :]
    http://alliedrecordexchangetoledo.com/

---

Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor. Awesome all around, pins are generally a bit beat.
    http://www.pinballpetes.net/

Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum. Awesome as ever.
    http://marvin3m.com/

Thanks,
    -Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second the Replay store on Alexis--I don't live in Toledo, but I've been there a few times. If they're stocked, they are very, very reasonable. Got a Master System and NGPC for $30 each there.