Thread: Strange things you've done with classic gaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Strange things you've done with classic gaming

I've discovered myself doing a few strange things with classic gaming recently, things that just don't make any sense at first look. Maybe, I'm hoping, some people here can sympathize or even admit to doing some of the same things (and yes, some of the good ones are the shorter ones, at least I think so):

Look set to beat BS-X (Satellaview) Legend of Zelda (doing very well, actually...easy game) before I beat the NES Legend of Zelda. My only version of the original is the Famicom Disk System version...and I'll have the cart version, complete, mint, before the NES version too.

On May 23rd I was convinced that I'd never get to see a better picture of the Sony handheld CD-i player than this one or the page found here, to finding one in perfect working order here, and even convincing the owner to pull it off eBay. Burn Cycle, Hotel Mario, and two (bad) Zelda games included in the deal along with all the original packaging and a nifty carry bag. Wasn't this the first handheld CD-ROM based game system (though it wasn't used as such)?

The fact that GameBoy games look tiny in comparison to Super NES boxes. It's the game that counts, not the stature or the size of the cartridge! Sharp x68000 boxes look nice, but why do MSX packages have to be so darn huge, anyways? (x68000 boxes are a bit bigger than MSX; they hold only a few 5.25 inch floppies in most cases, and MSX carts are roughly the same size as a Famicom cart, or a NES cart with the top half cut off. Both boxes are roughly the same size as a classic PC game box, by the way.) Unless they're Konami titles, they shouldn't be more than an inch wider or than the actual game cartridge. There should be a ranking!

I actually think it was almost worth the wait in Europe for Probotector and Probotector 2 (1990 and 1992, respectively) because the new character designs look very cool (to me, anyways.) NES games still look good in any instance, right? My first copy of the game was the Japanese version, of course. Seeing Contra's name explained as meaning "against" makes me angry, but not as angry as seeing the Japanese Contra called "Gryzor." Argh!

I like the way Spectrum and Game Gear games look, but more so on a PC monitor or television. The smaller the resolution per pixels covered, the more beautiful things look (isn't it true? Lets the brilliance of the pixel manipulation stand out better). Of course, transparency effects are just annoying at times.

The word "Cyber" has half its negative connotation in my mind due to its inclusion in the title of the Worst. Shinobi. Ever. Its meaning on the Internet is hardly as much of a strike against it.

I bought a number of GameBoy Advance games even though I don't have any sort of GB at all, just because I want to repay companies for their efforts (Metroid Fusion, Super Gn'G, and CV: AoS, respectively). I also bought Shinobi for the PS2, secretly hoping that it'll help fund Sega's return to the home console manufacturing business.

I had a copy of Zero Wing before I decided to beat it via emulator (hey, I don't have a PAL TV!) but I'm still embarrased to admit having touched any form of it. Yeah, I know you don't wanna hear about it, I swear it's the last time I mention it.

(Not quite a classic, but here goes) I had once sworn to never touch a game with Michael Jackson in it; but when somebody hacked MJ's Moonwalker (I'm assuming) sprite into screenshots of the new Castlevania, I was almost disappointed to hear he wasn't in.

Craziest of all, though, is the fact that all the while I've been typing this, NESten's been actively cycling the Probotector demo loop in the background. I only notice when I scroll the screen and my poor settings for the emulator cause its sound to lag somewhat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why do I feel like I just read "Catcher in the Rye" again?

... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've never taken the time to read that...Crap, that's not something I want to sound like.

IT CAUSED JOHN LENNON'S DEATH!!!!11 or something.

Anyways, I'm scared to turn off Probotector now...I think my ears will start ringing or the lowering of pressure will cause my eardrums to bulge outwards. Yeah.

*turns off the emulator, nothing happens*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Take off the SMS 3-D glasses, remove the Power Glove, and step out of the Activator.

On second thought, keep all that stuff on. Reality sucks!

... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

/me tries, but gets knocked out when he catches the edge of the Environmental cabinet with the leading edge of his forehead