Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lukemorse1 has returned...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    It's a sad thing, but gaming can not be the sole reason why these things occur. It's just a convenient scapegoat. Personal relationships are extremely dynamic and people like to assign blame. Something that can't argue or rationalize itself (games) are a soft target for this desire to blame. Either one of them could be assigning the blame to games. Anyway, it's on the two adults involved. They need to figure it out or part for good.

Bummer all around, good channel.
    Sure it can, if gaming and indulging his Youtube community was 99% of his life to the point of neglecting his wife and child then it may very well of been the sole reason of this unfortunate situation.......like anything, even something good it must be in moderation and not at the expense of loved ones.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, in that case the problem would be irresponsible time management. If that were actually the case, he wouldn't even be aware that his family left. Hence, no bye bye video.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elysiun
    PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

It was sad to see him go, but I'm sure that it was more than just his gaming hobby. He mentioned numerous times in his older videos that he bought pretty much everything with credit cards, so I'm sure it was partially (if not entirely) due to financial issues as well. I mean, if it was just a matter if him spending too much time on YouTube or gaming, couldn't that have been solved by simply asking him not to do it as much? Besides that, I'm sure she knew about his gaming habits before they were married so it's not like this popped up over night. I don't think the guy should have to give up gaming entirely if that's his passion, I think it would be unfair of his wife to ask him to stop doing something he loves, but he should have spent more time with his family, I mean, it's not like it's hard to set down your controller (or camera) and spend a few hours each day with your loved ones.

Either way, I enjoyed his videos and I'll miss watching them, but I can't blame him for making the choice he made, the guy's wife left him. If something like that happened to me I wouldn't have any ambition to much of anything myself.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Well, I liked his videos, but I was surprised to learn that he had a wife and child because of all the time he spent making new videos. Don't get me wrong, I found his videos really interesting and learned a lot from them, but when you look at the sheer number that he put up in a short amount of time, you can see that a good chunk of his free time was used making them. In that context, it's easy to understand how his wife might have felt left out, especially if she herself isn't a gamer. I sure hope that he can make up with her and get his family back and that he'd be able to do so without wholly sacrificing his hobby (one video per week could have been fine).

In any case, I hope this really isn't his last video and that he will make some more (all the while taking care of his personal issues). Who knows?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The man uploaded nearly 800 videos over 9 months. If that's not extremely consuming, I don't know what is. His priorities were clearly not straight at all, but that doesn't mean that this is the only reason. However, it sure makes for a negative point to add onto the conflict.

While I don't think the man is/was an addict, he didn't seem far from it, and like an addict it's very possible to ignore and or supercede things that are actually important (hygene, family, etc..) for the addiction. Video games, like anything (although a more recent popular target) can become addictions. The man, if anything, certainly didn't do this hobby in moderation as evidenced by the sheer volume of electronics, games, and videos he has and that's never a good thing.

I hope whatever his problems unaddressed were get resolved as losing ones family is a lousy scenario. To that point, I'm not surprised he's stopping the videos as he's likely going to re-evaluate his life and what really matters. I kind of doubt uploading one-hundred videos per month on video games is that important or pertinent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

It's sad that he is going through it but hopefully he'll learn from this. Without knowing more details it's impossible to tell what caused the relationship to fail.
    That's about all I have to say about the relationship part of it.

Did anyone else think it was funny that he was talking about how video games took over his life in front of 2 arcade machines?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    I don't know his situation but this is why you find someone who is interested in the same things you are. Say if you like video games, find someone who's interested.
    I disagree with this entirely. I'm finally dating someone who isn't all that interested in video games, and it's awesome. It turns out I don't like dating myself as much as I like dating other people.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As my father always told me; "Moderation is the key to happiness".
    This guy seems to take stuff to the extremes. My god, 800+ videos? Then, instead of doing one or two a week, he goes to right to zero.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've only heard of him recently through some of the other people I subscribed to but it makes you wonder if it was the sheer volume of his videos that made him popular. He did seem to have a nice personality, seemed like a nice guy. Maybe its because he was in Japan and had access to some stuff that most of us don't that made his videos compelling.

I don't have many subscribers but I don't post daily. Once a week, maybe. One guy I subscribe to seems to post a half dozen times a day, just about anything that pops into his head. Its nuts. I log onto youtube after a few days and there's dozens of videos from ONE PERSON.

Perhaps Luke was like this. I can understand how this would cause a huge rift with his family. And its not just the videos, its the time it takes to go out to these places and film them all, not to mention the gaming itself. So when he wasn't working, it seems most of his time was taken up with youtube and video games.

Sad lesson, I hope it works out for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just for clarification, the reason Luke can upload so many videos is because

1. He doesn't edit them. He lets the camera run for 4 to 9 minutes straight without any cuts. No logo, intro, music, or anything else.

2. About half of his videos are just gameplay footage with him pointing the camera at a television. And then many of those that are not, are footage of him walking through a store, talking into the mic.

But when you consider the amount of time he probably spent on this hobby that wasn't being filmed, it's easy to see how it could impact the rest of his life.

And "I like video games and that's who I am" rebellious 15 year old mentality exhibited by others in this thread is pretty disturbing and imo indicative of someone that's never been in a long term relationship. Doesn't work that way, guys. And dating someone with different interests can often work out just as well, since they expose you to new concepts and ideas. It's sick when some people try to make every aspect of their life tie into video games.

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think what has made him compelling is his evolution into a competent, articulate and natural presence. Some of his best videos did not even involve games, like his quest for a McDog, when he attempted to strap his camera onto his RC Cars, or when just trying to play games with his young son while trying to balance the camera. He brought a different level of immersion into his videos.

I have not seen all of his videos (not even close) but I did pick up on a few clues (as he seemed to wear some emotion on his sleeve albeit mostly positive while he was filming). He mentioned he likes to drink to this day and as he points out beer cans/bottles can be strewn about some of his vids. He has been living in Japan for quite awhile (I believe 6-8 years) and admitted to having a pretty active social life in prior years. He was acquiring much of his stuff through the use of credit cards and much more recently his child got sick and was in the hospital. I imagine their are some considerable bills associated with his stay. I can also assume that living overseas, there was probably a bit of added isolation for his wife from family and friends.

I'm sure there are numerous "kid in a candy store" and "you don't know what you've got 'till its gone" analogies that will come out of this but based on the number of tribute vids popping up now it seems their will be a much more extensive audience out there that will benefit from his last vid. Luke was able to fix a lot of things in his life but his biggest challenge is yet to come. I wish him the best.
    Last edited by Diatribal Deity; 08-15-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I watched some of Luke's videos now and there was one that creeped me out entirely. It's where he was wondering around in Hard Off after his child had went to the hospital 'just to get his mind off of it for awhile.' I don't really know what Luke's life must have been like, but I'm not sure he knew when to say when. Especially when he starts buying dupes of games because 'it may not work' or 'I just have the cart', etc.

I think it's a little ridiculous for anyone in a relationship to force his/her partner to make a choice of "it's either this or me" and act like they are suppose to just magically change. I'm not saying that gaming is an addiction, but if it's undesirable or creating a problem, showing more understanding than that is not hard (unless there are things about Luke's life we don't see).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post

Did anyone else think it was funny that he was talking about how video games took over his life in front of 2 arcade machines?
    I can see the humor in it, but didn't think it was necessarily funny considering.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The main thing is, was his gaming hobby / addiction the SAME when his girl met / married him?! Did she know what she was getting into...? If the answer is yes, and it probably is, then shame on her... It's obvious he is a good guy with a good heart. We can tell these things I believe. My guess is he just wanted like minded friends to share his love with games with. I think that's why a lot of us make YouTube videos. We are trying to connect to like-minded people. Is that such a bad thing? Maybe it's possible he was neglecting other things in life, but I seriously doubt it was to the degree that gave his significant other the right to up and leave him. This is one of the things that pisses me off the most these days. People (almost always woman) break up families for the dumbest damned reasons... "OMG, he's playing videogames and making too many movies.. I'm.. LEAVING?!"

Seriously, I feel like saying, "atleast he's not beating you and your kids ass or abusing you in some other way". WOMEN THESE DAYS. As you can probably tell, I've experienced my share of broken relationships where the woman was always the culprit and always had a jackass reason for leaving / screwing up a family / relationship / breaking people's heart over STUPID reasons that are easily fixable... Have a good night! ..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    The main thing is, was his gaming hobby / addiction the SAME when his girl met / married him?! Did she know what she was getting into...? If the answer is yes, and it probably is, then shame on her... It's obvious he is a good guy with a good heart. We can tell these things I believe. My guess is he just wanted like minded friends to share his love with games with. I think that's why a lot of us make YouTube videos. We are trying to connect to like-minded people. Is that such a bad thing? Maybe it's possible he was neglecting other things in life, but I seriously doubt it was to the degree that gave his significant other the right to up and leave him. This is one of the things that pisses me off the most these days. People (almost always woman) break up families for the dumbest damned reasons... "OMG, he's playing videogames and making too many movies.. I'm.. LEAVING?!"

Seriously, I feel like saying, "atleast he's not beating you and your kids ass or abusing you in some other way". WOMEN THESE DAYS. As you can probably tell, I've experienced my share of broken relationships where the woman was always the culprit and always had a jackass reason for leaving / screwing up a family / relationship / breaking people's heart over STUPID reasons that are easily fixable... Have a good night! ..

Really, you don't think it was to the degree that his wife would leave him? 9 months and 800 videos. That's 3 videos a day, 7 days a week. Add that on top of work, collecting, playing, etc, and I don't see how he would have ANY time for family.

"At least he's not beating you..." Are you SURE it was always the womans fault for leaving?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I feel bad for all involved. Things happen... Usually it is never seen coming... (not to say there were not signs, just that sometimes people keep things wrapped tight and then everything explodes).
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Wow, that's sad. Everything in moderation.

That Hard-Off store seemed really cool, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nhm View Post
    Really, you don't think it was to the degree that his wife would leave him? 9 months and 800 videos. That's 3 videos a day, 7 days a week. Add that on top of work, collecting, playing, etc, and I don't see how he would have ANY time for family.

"At least he's not beating you..." Are you SURE it was always the womans fault for leaving?
    But again, he did unedited videos with no intros or anything. They obviously took very little time to produce. It's not like he had to spend hours a day to produce what we saw... maybe he was spending that kind of time on it, who knows, but from what we actually saw, there's no reason to believe this. See Atarileaf's post above...

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribal Deity
    I think what has made him compelling is his evolution into a competent, articulate and natural presence. Some of his best videos did not even involve games, like his quest for a McDog, when he attempted to strap his camera onto his RC Cars, or when just trying to play games with his young son while trying to balance the camera. He brought a different level of immersion into his videos.

I have not seen all of his videos (not even close) but I did pick up on a few clues (as he seemed to wear some emotion on his sleeve albeit mostly positive while he was filming). He mentioned he likes to drink to this day and as he points out beer cans/bottles can be strewn about some of his vids. He has been living in Japan for quite awhile (I believe 6-8 years) and admitted to having a pretty active social life in prior years. He was acquiring much of his stuff through the use of credit cards and much more recently his child got sick and was in the hospital. I imagine their are some considerable bills associated with his stay. I can also assume that living overseas, there was probably a bit of added isolation for his wife from family and friends.

I'm sure there are numerous "kid in a candy store" and "you don't know what you've got 'till its gone" analogies that will come out of this but based on the number of tribute vids popping up now it seems their will be a much more extensive audience out there that will benefit from his last vid. Luke was able to fix a lot of things in his life but his biggest challenge is yet to come. I wish him the best.
    Yeah, as I said in my first post, I definitely wondered about that credit card stuff as well. Was it the constant spending of money (and often on duplicate games and systems and stuff, not even stuff he didn't own yet) the real problem, not just the game playing and movies? I wouldn't be surprised if it was either. But of course, he was doing this before he was married, so it's not like it'd be a surprise or something -- in the Neo-Geo collection video he mentions that he bought most of them when he was a bachelor, when he had more money to spend on games... so it wasn't something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Wow, that's sad. Everything in moderation.

That Hard-Off store seemed really cool, though.
    Yeah, definitely. And around here seeing one or two used old consoles of any kind is cool... there there are just stacks of them everywhere. Awesome stuff. I can see why it'd be hard to avoid buying stuff if you had the money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes it was the Hard Off videos that I really enjoyed. And his personality, he always seemed so sunny, happy, and genuinely excited about his finds. It made his videos fun to watch.

And its true, the videos of those stores were incredible. We have nothing like that here, not to the extent he did. For us video game nerds, Luke was the perennial "kid in the candy store" and we reveled in the things he would find.

I'd also like to say, not being too technically inclined myself, I watched his "Fixing the blinking NES" video as I worked on my own. Its now in great working shape, works on the first try now.

I have Luke to thank for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

There's a difference between "dating/marrying someone who likes what you like" and "completely ignoring the needs of your wife and kid", which is what this guy apparently was doing. There's a time and place for everything.