Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Different games with the same name (Genesis and SNES)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The covers of both games are identical. If you start both games up, the title screen only shows Sparkster.

*edit*

Icarus beat me to it. I opened the thread and I was going to look for an image. But then I had to answer the phone and then came back to it. I also started both games to check the title screen as well though.

Last edited by kupomogli; 08-18-2009 at 08:13 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned Donkey Kong. The difference between the GB one and the Arcade one is tremendous.

There's also the games with confusing chronology:
    Bubble Bobble 2, Rainbow Islands: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2, etc.

For the Sparkster games, I don't know if they count. One is surnamed Rocket Knight Adventure 2.
    Did you actually even read the first post or the title of the topic? As far as I'm aware, none of that ever saw release on the Geneses besides your last example. And Donkey Kong certainly doesn't fit the topic, lol.

As for The Lion King, I have never spent much time with the Genesis version, but back in the day it was advertised as having an exclusive level not on the SuperNes version. The poor sound and graphics everytime I fire it up just makes me want to play the SuperNes version, so I've never bothered to look for the extra level.

Edit - No sign of one in a YouTube walkthrough, I just see the same levels as the SuperNes game unless I missed it. Perhaps I was remembering incorrectly.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-18-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be fair, you upstaged me. The art is repeated on manuals and carts as well... How is a retro-hunter supposed to know both are unique just by looking at them? Thread purpose exposed and Sparkster validated.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Remember Doom? The 32X (Which probably counts because you plug the 32X into the MD like a cart) version had only 17 levels and lower quality FM music but smoother graphics scaling, and the SNES port had all of the levels with vastly better music, but choppy framerate and scaling.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I decided just now to check and see maybe the PAL or NTSC J versions.

The PAL version is the same, just says MegaDrive. The Japanese version does actually say Sparkster Rocket Knight Adventures 2 though. I just looked that up right now.

The cover art is still identical though, so even saying RKA2 on the Genesis one, you'd assume it's the same game. I would atleast.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Someone(mayber the OP) should keep a running total of all the games and the differences.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Did you actually even read the first post or the title of the topic? As far as I'm aware, none of that ever saw release on the Geneses besides your last example. And Donkey Kong certainly doesn't fit the topic, lol.
    Big whoops...

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli
    The cover art is still identical though, so even saying RKA2 on the Genesis one, you'd assume it's the same game. I would atleast.
    That's really weird how that works. The US boxart is the same as well, aside from the Genesis one having a different aspect ratio.

If a more well-known regional difference was used as an example, however (i.e.: say there was a Genesis game named Mother 2), the title differences would've been duly noted in this thread.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Ironically, the cover art seems better suited for the Genesis version, far as I can tell - the columns feature (a bit too) prominently in the first stage.

Kupo articulated what I was hating a bit better, although I would add that the repetitiveness of forced rocket jumping in that game is an additional insult on top of the others I delineated. Interestingly, this guy's review (starting at 7 minutes) makes it clear that a lot of the reason he's fond of the game is due to the fact you can get along most of the time just using the sword - and not the flames, but just the blade. Very useful to know. Of course, there's another thing they &%!@ed up in the Genesis rev...

I'm ecstatic that this discussion happened - not so I could ramble on about the differences, but because I discovered the SNES version in the first place. I totally didn't know about it before this, and the Genesis version of Sparkster had totally disheartened me.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Dracula X for the Japanese Turbo Duo is different than the US version for the SNES. They have the same cover art, so they would have been advertised as the same game but for different systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Dracula X for the Japanese Turbo Duo is different than the US version for the SNES. They have the same cover art, so they would have been advertised as the same game but for different systems.
    Good point, although this would only have been a problem to import-savvy players and readers of the back pages of gaming mags. Drac X SNES is Drac XX SFC, of course.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo = Castlevania Dracula X

Got it!

Yes, different. But not totally different by intent. More that the SNES version was extremely watered down. They tried to fit what they could on a cart at the time which ment, skipping entire paths and segments of the game, removing enemies, bosses and enviroments/effects, no Maria mode, no saving the other maidens, axed the save system, related menus and such, no anime cutscenes and video intro or voiced audio (in Japanese and German too!). I think the differences in this instance are rather well known because Castlevania is fairly high profile. Up to the OP though.

/2 cents

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those two don't have the same title at all, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    no saving the other maidens
    Just two of them...that's good enough for a cartridge, isn't it?!

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Those two don't have the same title at all, though.
    There's a big "Dracula X" on the front of both - that would cause anybody to think the two games were equivalent. Dracula XX would seem to be a sequel in the Japanese market (plus they changed the cover art drastically, even reversing the hair colors of Dracula and Richter, oddly enough).

Of course, the SNES version seems to have been intended as a replacement for the PC-Engine CD ROM^2 game - same basic storyline, same "save the girls" idea, there's even a key item (slash weapon) in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aladdin and Jurassic Park are also great examples of Genesis games that stomped all over their SNES counterparts. Yes, they're totally different games, but it's proof that the Genesis was more than a match for the SNES when it came to quality gameplay and graphics. System specs be damned!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    There's a big "Dracula X" on the front of both - that would cause anybody to think the two games were equivalent.

The cover art might, but I don't see how the title would. If I was just seeing a list of names, I would never think that "Castlevania: Dracula X" and "Akumajou Dracula X: Chi No Rondo" were the same game. They both contain the phrase "Dracula X" but in the former it's the subtitle, and in the latter it's part of the main/series title. And anyway I thought this thread was only for games with the exact same title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The cover art might, but I don't see how the title would. If I was just seeing a list of names, I would never think that "Castlevania: Dracula X" and "Akumajou Dracula X: Chi No Rondo" were the same game. They both contain the phrase "Dracula X" but in the former it's the subtitle, and in the latter it's part of the main/series title. And anyway I thought this thread was only for games with the exact same title.
    Yeah, particularly when the name for the Japanese version of the SNES game was Akamajou Dracula XX, adding a second X to mark the difference from the TG16 game. They just changed the title for the US because we hadn't gotten the first one, I think. It is kind of weird that the SNES one was so poor in comparison to the TG16 game, the original Super Castlevania IV was utterly amazing... Dracula XX wasn't even close to either SCIV or Dracula X. Bloodlines is probably even better...

Also, I think that the title in the US is weird... I mean, why "Castlevania DRACULA X"? The original title in Japan is Akamajou Dracula, in the US Castlevania. Shouldn't it just be Castlevania X?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Atom View Post
    Aladdin and Jurassic Park are also great examples of Genesis games that stomped all over their SNES counterparts. Yes, they're totally different games, but it's proof that the Genesis was more than a match for the SNES when it came to quality gameplay and graphics. System specs be damned!
    Agreed about Aladdin, the SNES game is a fun platformer but the Genesis one is just amazing. Not sure about Jurassic Park though, I don't have the Genesis one and have only played it a little bit, and while I do have the SNES game (got it a few years ago), I've never gotten around to playing it...
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 08-19-2009 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aladdin is at least fairly similar, but Jurassic Park isn't even really the same genre, so they're not comparable in the least bit. I do prefer the Genesis one a little, but neither are fantastic. The second SNES one, The Chaos Continues, was my favorite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If I was just seeing a list of names, I would never think that "Castlevania: Dracula X" and "Akumajou Dracula X: Chi No Rondo" were the same game. They both contain the phrase "Dracula X" but in the former it's the subtitle, and in the latter it's part of the main/series title. And anyway I thought this thread was only for games with the exact same title.
    Which of the words in "Akumajoh Dorakyura X: Chi no Rondo" is an American going to understand? There's the QED moment for yas. What's this about Dracula X being the "subtitle" of one, anyway? Chi no Rondo is the subtitle...

Also, Dracula X SNES / Dracula XX isn't a bad game. It's been a while since I played, though I don't think its reputation for brutal difficulty is really deserved either.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not like thesedays, where every game is the same, is it?
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Which of the words in "Akumajoh Dorakyura X: Chi no Rondo" is an American going to understand?
    It's not an American release, so who cares? The only Americans who've even heard of this game are those who are at least somewhat well-versed in the Castlevania series and know that the series is called Akumajou Dracula in Japan.

The only reason I'm arguing this point is because I had the exact opposite confusion -- my initial impression from the titles was that Castlevania: Dracula X was a completely original game that had nothing to do with the PC Engine CD game, other than being in the same series.

And for what it's worth, "Rondo" is an English word, and isn't part of the title of the SNES game in any territory.

What's this about Dracula X being the "subtitle" of one, anyway? Chi no Rondo is the subtitle...
    Now you're just messing with me, right? Castlevania: Dracula X. The subtitle is the part after the colon.