Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV Online (FFXIV)

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Default Final Fantasy XIV Online (FFXIV)

I just heard the news!! I couldn't be happier to hear there is a new online adventure coming! Every time I hear anything about FFXIII, I can't help but think about how badly I want a FFXI sequel. Well, it's coming next year!

I do think they announced it a little too early, though. Kindof made me feel like he was going to announce XV, XVI, XVII, and XVIII too. Like an SNL skit.

As it is now, the plan is for it to be a PS3 exclusive. (STFU before you even start. We all know what you think about that and you're the only one here who wants to read it.) The development system is going to be different than what we saw in FFXI. Rather than being based on race & class, it will be based on the gear you choose. I'm fine with that as long as they give me the freedom to build a nuker. I'd like to be able to focus on black magic, but I won't be too upset if they make it a little more general than that. I'll keep an open mind, but I really need to be able to nuke. Also, I'm really hoping they don't go with the Oblivion mage battle system where I have to aim fireballs. That feels too much like an archer to me. I guess if I were to give it a chance, I may end up finding that it adds to the excitement. I played Oblivion for only a few hours before I stored it away so I never really gave it a chance.

Word is that you will be able to solo if you like...so that addresses the one big complaint I had with FFXI. I didn't have predictable days off, so I wasn't able to stick with a static party. So every time I wanted to play, I'd have to find a new party. Waiting outside the Crawlers Nest for 12 hours on a Saturday should not be a problem with this new installment. So it's already shaping up to be what I've wanted!

Anyway, this is the first game in ages that I have been this excited about. I'm completely enamored of FFXIV Online. In my little world, this is a major announcement. I can't wait to pour myself into this game.

Announcement & trailor:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puOiYZE7B1w

EDIT: Fixed a typo.
    Last edited by DeputyMoniker; 08-23-2009 at 06:22 AM.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

No waiting 30 minutes to an hour to actually get into a party? Then feeling out of place since it seems these people party alot, etc(usually?) Given the fact that I only put about 35-40 hours into FF11 means that the few people I did party with regularly it wasn't much.

If I have to put 5000+ hours to finally really start enjoying the game. No thanks. I really do hope this isn't like FF11 on that aspect.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-23-2009 at 07:26 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

I always wanted to play 11 but hearing that it's just a grind fest and a waste of time I'll just wait for this one.
    League of Legends referral link:
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4be72d0a12a60
    ^^ DotA players click the link ^^

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

If they don't fix the GUI, I won't be going anywhere near the game. FFXI's interface was just horrendous and it made a good game barely passable. This is someone who put 80 days into FFXI and whose SO put 310 days into it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

Wow you guys are behind the times. Some alpha videos came out days ago

http://www.ffxivcore.com/index.php?/...-all-the-time/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    StetsonGraves

Default Just maybe...

I'm not much of an MMO person, there are just way too many games to play for me to spend months and months on a single title. But with that said I think I might try this for a month or two after it comes out.

DeputyMoniker, you said you haven't been excited for a game in forever, what about White Knight Chronicles? It's supposed to have an online multiplayer that's similar to an MMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You just heard about this? E3 was a while ago.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    No waiting 30 minutes to an hour to actually get into a party? Then feeling out of place since it seems these people party alot, etc(usually?) Given the fact that I only put about 35-40 hours into FF11 means that the few people I did party with regularly it wasn't much.

If I have to put 5000+ hours to finally really start enjoying the game. No thanks. I really do hope this isn't like FF11 on that aspect.
    30 minutes to an hour of seeking party? Yeah...you didn't put much time into the game at all. Like I said, I used to stand outside the Crawlers Nest for 12 hours seeking party. That was early in its life, so things may be better now.

Quote Originally Posted by StetsonGraves View Post
    I'm not much of an MMO person, there are just way too many games to play for me to spend months and months on a single title. But with that said I think I might try this for a month or two after it comes out.

DeputyMoniker, you said you haven't been excited for a game in forever, what about White Knight Chronicles? It's supposed to have an online multiplayer that's similar to an MMO.
    I don't mind spending months and months on a single game if I'm still enjoying it. I guess I don't desire variety as much as some other people do. I can leave the same movie playing for a month.

As for White Night Chronicles, I haven't heard of it. I just looked it up & I see it's a PS3 exclusive. I don't have a PS3 yet so I haven't been following its "non-hyped" releases. It's just that FFXIV jumped out and bit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    You just heard about this? E3 was a while ago.
    Yeah but you have to admit that FFXIV hasn't been getting much press. Relative to FFXIII...or a hundred other games right now.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

But, but....

Can I bring my Moogle and stuff from XI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

i will bet monies that there are moogles in this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If Square Enix put Cloud & Sephiroth as playable characters in their latest FF MMO, I'm pretty sure a lot of die hard fans will buy the game and continue to pay as long as they have Cloud or Sephiroth as their character.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    Yeah but you have to admit that FFXIV hasn't been getting much press. Relative to FFXIII...or a hundred other games right now.
    True. But there's not a lot of info to get hyped about yet. It will get bigger, the closer the game gets to release.

I liked FF11, but I had to quit because it is a huge time sink, like most MMOs. I'd like to think I was a pretty good Galka bard though. Not many of those around.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    If Square Enix put Cloud & Sephiroth as playable characters in their latest FF MMO, I'm pretty sure a lot of die hard fans will buy the game and continue to pay as long as they have Cloud or Sephiroth as their character.
    That'd be pretty stupid. As it was in FFXI, there were hundreds of XxSephrothxX and CloudXCloud type names floating around. It certainly didn't need a reason for these people to make completely unimaginative names.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm definitely excited about FFXIV, but to be honest, I'm apprehensive about a few changes from FFXI.

First of all, I actually LOVE the interface in FFXI. It's gamepad-focused, so it's not a clickfest like other MMOs. I like selecting my skills, not clicking them. It just feels right. From what I've seen of FFXIV, it's a hybrid between the hotbar of typical MMOs and a menu-driven interface, which I can get used to. I'll be fine as long as it isn't another game where my skills are icons with an animated refresh meter.

FFXI looked damn good for its time, and it had a beautiful visual style. With that look, the animations fit pretty well. The look hasn't changed much, but the animations look awkward. We'll have to wait and see on that. I like the fact that Tarus are taller, not sure what to think about the Mithra and Galka changes.

Regardless of the changes and holdovers, I'm going to be absorbed in Eorza on day one. Until then, I'm struggling to play FFXI. Back when it was new, FFXI was the most amazing thing in the world for me, and it looks like FFXIV might rekindle those feelings.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

FFXI was great looking game (makes WoW look like dog shit), sounded brilliantly and actually had a story, compared to pretty much every other MMO out there. The music still brings back good memories to this day.

However, the menu driven GUI was horrible. If it wasn't for macros, the game would be completely unplayable. Selecting your abilities is all well and good... until you hit the internal, unseen global cooldown and get 'This action cannot be performed' right when you are trying to get a critical cast or ability off. Then you have to dig back to the menu option and try again. The game desperately needs to get with the times and go with icons/hotbars.

I always said that the devs hated the player base and with stuff like AV, non-instanced zones (nothing like missing Beaudicine for a month straight due to zone jacking) and the grueling leveling system, I think that's true. I mean, how many things did FFXI adapt for WoW just to make it more appealling? It's clear they were doing many things wrong.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand why everyone hates the menu system. Considering that it's FINAL FANTASY, and the series has only been using menu-driven combat FOREVER, bashing it really can't be justified. If it were hotbar based, it wouldn't be Final Fantasy. FFXIV does NOT need to compromise its uniqueness to fit in with everyone else's current expectations of a WoW clone. WoW ruined MMOs, and to this day, FFXI is the only MMO I can stand anymore, because it's actually different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I don't understand why everyone hates the menu system. Considering that it's FINAL FANTASY, and the series has only been using menu-driven combat FOREVER, bashing it really can't be justified. If it were hotbar based, it wouldn't be Final Fantasy. FFXIV does NOT need to compromise its uniqueness to fit in with everyone else's current expectations of a WoW clone. WoW ruined MMOs, and to this day, FFXI is the only MMO I can stand anymore, because it's actually different.
    I never had any trouble with the menu system in FFXI. Like any game it took me a bit to learn how to use it, but once I did I was pretty fast with it and I was only using a controller not a keyboard!

I'm really looking forward to XIV. If they can take XI and fix some of the issues like forced partying past level 10 then I'll be happy. The reason I left XI was that I didn't have hours to sit around waiting for a party to form only to disband 20 min later. That and I was tired of all the best stuff being perma-camped (good luck ever getting Lizzy or the guy who dropped the Peacock Charm or the mobs for the various colored belts).

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

WoW ruined MMOs? Are you kidding? WoW did MMOs right, then ruined itself. Trying to cater a game towards the amount of people equal to the population of Zimbabwe will do that. As it is, breaking the xp loss on death mechanic is something they should be hailed for.

Bashing that godawful menu system is indeed called for. It'll still be FF. Menus are not exactly the one thing people associate with Final Fantasy. They have to change or it will be just as tedious as 11 and it will never reach the level of acceptance the rest of the game's quality calls for.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Trying to cater a game towards the amount of people equal to the population of Zimbabwe will do that...

...it will never reach the level of acceptance the rest of the game's quality calls for.
    The word "cater" is really not the best word for this situation. I prefer "pander." When one of your goals is "mass appeal," you probably won't end up with a unique game or something that really accomplishes anything worthwhile. The more people you want to appeal to, the more generic your product becomes.

That's another reason I respect FFXI. It doesn't compromise itself to make people like it, it just is what it is. If you have a problem with it, you don't have to bother with it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

It doesn't compromise itself to make people like it, it just is what it is.
    That could be the dumbest thing I've heard. You are acting like it's a person whose values and integrity are supposed to matter. It's a game that is to be sold to consumers. If it's a chore to play, no one should respect that, whether it's Final Fantasy or not. Hey, Drake and the 99 Dragons "is what it is", but it's also one of the worst games of the last generation.

Fixing the GUI in FFXIV is not even catering to the masses - it's correcting something that you defend simply because it's a Final Fantasy game!

The point is WoW eliminated the xp loss on death mechanic, made leveling solo and group equally as viable and eliminated most spawn camping. Regardless of what it's become, FFXI is still behind the curve in those regards and if they can't fix those things, it will never reach full potential and exposure which FFXI's graphics, music and story deserved. And that's all not including the clunky GUI.