Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gamestop 50% off 1 used game + edge

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Edit 2: Ok, I've photoshopped an old GameStop coupon with the new code (even changed the original 20% to 50% and modified the expiration date). But I don't know if that violates any ethical boundaries so I'm going to refrain from posting it here unless there's no problem with it.
    I wouldn't try to forge anything. I just printed the code out like this:

Jack’s Big Rip Off Game & Sweepstakes-Half-off code: EBC3009415

I said I was given a code for a half-off game. They took the paper and said let's try it. Simply as that.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's something that might work for people who are having trouble getting local GameStop employees to honor the code.

http://www.barcoding.com/upc/

Type in EBC3009415 and this will generate a UPC barcode along with the digits. If you print that out and present it to the employee they might be a little more inclined to accept it. It might not work if they try to scan the barcode but they'll just type in the digits manually like they usually have to do with the printable coupons.

Edit: Come to think of it, photoshopping the generated barcode in place of the barcode on a real GameStop coupon could solve everybody's problem. Anybody able to do that?

Edit 2: Ok, I've photoshopped an old GameStop coupon with the new code (even changed the original 20% to 50% and modified the expiration date). But I don't know if that violates any ethical boundaries so I'm going to refrain from posting it here unless there's no problem with it.
    If you bring them the code and they take it, you are fine. Doing ^that^ however, is fraud and deception. Don't do this.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, sounds about right. Though, technically, and I mean this in the most technical sense which is why I thought of it to begin with, provided the employees NOT taking the code are doing the wrong thing and not vice versa, it isn't fraud since as long as you provide the code you're entitled to the discount. The made up coupon would then just be a delivery method of handing over the code. In order for something to be fraudulent it has to actually defraud somebody by being designed to unjustly enrich the person employing it. If, however, the code itself is not enough and the employees accepting just the numbers themselves are actually in the wrong, then, yes, it would be fraud. That's really why I held off. I don't know which is the case.

Either way, though, this probably might not matter since if the employee really is supposed to accept the code requesting to speak with a manager should theoretically solve the problem. And if they aren't then, well, YMMV because we aren't entitled to the discount. I'll go in with the numbers and see what's what tomorrow. There's certainly enough GameStops in my area for me to find at least one employee who will take the code.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 09-03-2009 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But you don't 'get' the real code slip unless you 'win' it right? I got a bunch of tacos and a coke from Jack in the Box the other day and I got a "Sorry!" slip... Asking for a discount is one thing, but you taking the code and creating a document in the manner the company would (with all the logo branding and such) to compel a compliance to the discount (you're not really asking anymore) is very much so fraud.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 09-03-2009 at 02:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just a friendly heads up...

Game Stop has been brought up to speed by an unusual amount of discounts. Employees have been told that the code should only be used if the customer surrenders the real pull off tab from the cup.

There was no harm / no foul on the early uses of it since apparently there was a weird delay in stores getting the information about that particular prize. However, most GS should now be not accepting the "phony" coupons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would have never worked for me, I don't have a Jack in the Box near me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    But you don't 'get' the real code slip unless you 'win' it right?
    I don't know. Is that how this works? If so then you're right. If the code is just "out there" for anybody to grab then that might be a different story. That's why I asked in the first place.

I got a bunch of tacos and a coke from Jack in the Box the other day and I got a "Sorry!" slip... Asking for a discount is one thing, but you taking the code and creating a document in the manner the company would (with all the logo branding and such) to compel a compliance to the discount (you're not really asking anymore) is very much so fraud.
    Who are you arguing with? We're clearly in agreement there.

Though, I think I should have held off even mentioning it here. Shame on me. Now I'm paying the price by getting PMs from people asking for the photoshop. Even offering me some money for it.

So to be clear, I've deleted the photoshop and that's that. Nobody is getting it.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 09-03-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    Just a friendly heads up...

Game Stop has been brought up to speed by an unusual amount of discounts. Employees have been told that the code should only be used if the customer surrenders the real pull off tab from the cup.

There was no harm / no foul on the early uses of it since apparently there was a weird delay in stores getting the information about that particular prize. However, most GS should now be not accepting the "phony" coupons.
    Thanks for the heads up.

I will try over here in PR, since I don't think the coupon is given out here, since that store is no where in PR.

Will give a shot, though.

Josh
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who are you arguing with? We're clearly in agreement there.
    Well, you left a technicality in play. I had more to add. I'm glad we agree.

And shame on you folks... Tempting this guy will ill gotten gains.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The technicality was dependent on whether the code was a free for all or a specific one customers had to earn or discover. Clearly the latter has been revealed as the actual situation (which was not at all clear early on) so, yes, it would be "ill gotten." If, however, the former were the case then it wouldn't be "ill gotten." We are on the same page, aren't we?

And shame on you folks... Tempting this guy will ill gotten gains.
    I was quite surprised to see offers to Paypal me money in exchange for a photoshop that took me all of ten minutes.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 09-03-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

well im glad at least one person took advantage of this. i did go back to the 1 gamestop that didnt take my code at first after shift change and another guy didnt care. i dont know how gamestops around the country work but here in nyc, 80% of the employees give less than two squirts of piss about this stuff, the turnover rate is immense and i have seen and talked to so many employees to understand the shitty system they work for. many are disgruntled and could care less, the ignorance plea works often i noticed; i have received PLENTY of free reserve prizes/bonuses and boxes/manuals just by asking over the years.

even if GSs have been "brought up to speed", i highly doubt every employee will be aware or care. if never hurts to try, though i probably would not drive 20 minutes out of my way for it. i do not support the fraud of faking an actual coupon however. when i used the code i just said "oh, and i have this code here". worked 3 times =/

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Nanjo View Post
    It would have never worked for me, I don't have a Jack in the Box near me.
    im from nyc and there are no jack in the boxes on the east coast period. so that wouldnt matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Supposedly corporate memo went out today. No more code only transactions in-store. All in-store discounts/promotions must have a coupon or a reusable scan code supplied to the store by corporate themselves. Went up to the local store and talked to the management today... That was the reason I was cited. Fact or bullcrap? IDK.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that is bs I used the code so many tiems already without the actual coupon. Each store varies if there strict or not. I was lucky enough to get a nice guy saying as long as its tangible hell take it. Also you have to get a person taht has enough clearance to ring it up for you or the code wont work preferably manager, assitant manager or supervisor. Why did they take it off cheapassgamer.com? Can they get sued for that or something? I got batman used for $22 HAHAHAHAHA 50% plus edge10% .

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It shouldn't hurt if I write it out and try bringing it over. Most that would happen is I get rejected from picking the game up. I want to buy Fight Night Round 4 but I don't want to pay 50 for it. $25 though is nice.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.