Thread: Riviera: The Promised Land. Which version is better PSP or GBA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Riviera: The Promised Land. Which version is better PSP or GBA?

I've wanted to buy this for awhile, and now I have a PSP, and a DS. So which version should I buy? I noticed the GBA version had all good reviews on game faqs, and the PSP had average. Are these games different? If there the same I would rather get the PSP one.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I side with the GBA version. The PSP one has some extra stuff; cutscenes, voiced audio (meh to average too) but, it's visually similar to the GBA. I think they used a pixel blur/blend filter (like Eagle 2x etc) so it didn't look like an obvious shortcut... Well, it didn't work, not like they were hopeing anyway.

If you can find Riviera GBA at GS, it's only $4.99.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I have both version. The only issue I have with PSP is the loading time. If you don't mind the loading time, PSP isn't a bad version.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

PSP version. The extras make up for the short load times added to the game.

Like Icarus said, the graphics aren't much better, but you can tell. On the GBA version, the graphics are more pixelated so you notice alot of jaggies around the characters borders and text, etc. PSP version is more smooth with no jaggies, all text in the game is clear, etc.

Aside from voice acting being added like has been already mentioned and is pretty good, the music and sound in the game is much better quality. Obviously.

While the PSP version has load times, it's not enough to break the game. Infact it's barely noticeable(whenever moving from one area to another it's another half second to a second longer,) takes about a second or two longer at the start of each chapter, but other than that everything else looks fine, I'd have to replay the games side by side to get a better comparison.

Also, the exact same thing goes for Yggdra Union. The only difference is that in Yggdra Union, the load times in comarison of the original aren't noticeable except when it does the map select before every battle(where it marks the area they're going to fight at by having two x/y axis lines come across the screen.)

Yggdra Union on PSP has some really good voice acting, better than the voice acting in Riviera. The graphics are much better. Again, just like Riviera cleaner, but this time around, the battlefields don't have all that pixelation and very blurry look like they did in the GBA version of Yggdra Union. The sound quality is better again, but some you can't tell the difference much(the sound effects in Yggdra Union GBA were alot better than the Riviera GBA sound effects.)

So with Riviera, either one would do. If you already own a PSP I'd go for that version(voice acting and much better sound and audio quality.) With Yggdra Union, the PSP one is far superior.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-03-2009 at 09:40 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

This one the games that i have like and annoyed the most .... it's very unique and quite enjoyable, but has some small annoying details.

Both versions are great and the game experience is the same. My vote goes for the PSP version because is more polished and the PSP screen looks amazing.

If you have a GameCube with a GB Player i would go for the GBA version, i like to play my GBA games in a big screen
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    This one the games that i have like and annoyed the most .... it's very unique and quite enjoyable, but has some small annoying details.

Both versions are great and the game experience is the same. My vote goes for the PSP version because is more polished and the PSP screen looks amazing.

If you have a GameCube with a GB Player i would go for the GBA version, i like to play my GBA games in a big screen
    Thanks for the help all. Maybe I will just get both and see which I like. They are both pretty cheap. The PSP voice acting thing really turns me off. I hate crappy voice acting. That's the whoe reason I am about to quit playing Star Ocean First Departure. I just can't handle it. Can you at least turn off the voice acting in the PSP version? Also, is it goofy voice acting that tries to be funny? Or is this more of a serious game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    Thanks for the help all. Maybe I will just get both and see which I like. They are both pretty cheap. The PSP voice acting thing really turns me off. I hate crappy voice acting. That's the whoe reason I am about to quit playing Star Ocean First Departure. I just can't handle it. Can you at least turn off the voice acting in the PSP version? Also, is it goofy voice acting that tries to be funny? Or is this more of a serious game?

I usually prefer the original Japanese voice-overs; the english tracks aren't too bad, the translation didn't help it...
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I haven't played the PSP version but it's one of my favorite GBA games. Great choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Riviera PSP allows you to change to Japanese voice if I am not mistaken. I haven't play the game for a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    Riviera PSP allows you to change to Japanese voice if I am not mistaken. I haven't play the game for a long time.
    I can handle jp voice overs. Cause then I don't know how stupid it really sounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    I can handle jp voice overs. Cause then I don't know how stupid it really sounds.
    The English voice over isn't bad. Atlus put in a great effort to make better dub. Oh yes the PSP version does feature English/Japanese voice option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    The English voice over isn't bad. Atlus put in a great effort to make better dub. Oh yes the PSP version does feature English/Japanese voice option.
    Cool, i'll just get the psp version then. I like the screen better on the PSP anyway.