Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Data East Arcade Classics on Wii

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

GameFaqs user Terebi_chan reports that in Lock 'n' Chase, Clementine does play a bit slow (I don't really notice a difference).

Also he states that it keeps playing even after the money bag disappears (Regardless if you picked or didn't pick it up). It also doesn't stop playing until you lose a life. Also, the "music for getting a stage-specific bonus item (e.g., your character's hat in the first stage) has the same problem". I can confirm that these are happening after spending more time with it before posting.

He also spotted another few problems with Bump 'n' Jump. The "Player 1 Get Ready" prompt that appears when you lose a life isn't present, which I hadn't picked up on. Also, the music continues to play after the game returns to the attract mode. I wrote that off when I noticed it as the DIP switch selection G1M2 used since some arcade titles do allow the arcade operator to have background music played during attract modes and/or sound effects. But he states it's incorrect for this game.

So sadly it appears that they fell somewhat short with their emulator for these three titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well then, Majesco better ante up and hire on M2 for the next Data East compilation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... If sounds are missing, that's one thing; but if a visual element like the "Player 1 Get Ready" is missing... That sounds like maybe it's not even emulated, but just ported.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slapdash View Post
    Hmm... If sounds are missing, that's one thing; but if a visual element like the "Player 1 Get Ready" is missing... That sounds like maybe it's not even emulated, but just ported.
    I don't think it's a porting issue. Most romsets of Burnin' Rubber/Bump 'n Jump are missing the "Player 1 Get Ready" after losing a life, so I think it was something added to the Midway version. It's definitely emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, didn't know about the romset variations. Interesting.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I picked my copy up this evening and popped it in for a bit. Out of all of the titles, I've only played Bad Dudes before in the arcades, so I'm looking forward to some new game experiences. Magical Drop is a pretty fun Bust-A-Move clone, though I found myself trying to shoot bubbles, forgetting that I had to grab some first. Didn't like Bump N Jump at all, and I had a hard time playing Burgertime. Might need to play it a bit more though. Haven't been able to test drive the other titles yet, but so far Bad Dudes and Magical Drop make it worth the paltry $20.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Brianvgplayer View Post
    I don't think it's a porting issue. Most romsets of Burnin' Rubber/Bump 'n Jump are missing the "Player 1 Get Ready" after losing a life, so I think it was something added to the Midway version. It's definitely emulation.
    You're correct, it was added to the Midway version so it's not a problem with this collection.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    Magical Drop is a pretty fun Bust-A-Move clone, though I found myself trying to shoot bubbles, forgetting that I had to grab some first. Haven't been able to test drive the other titles yet, but so far Bad Dudes and Magical Drop make it worth the paltry $20.
    A CLONE!?! How dare you. Wash that mouth out with soap I say.

Anyways, other than our copy taking some time to boot initally (this could be our Wii's issue and not the disc) Magical Drop is played pretty much exclusively. The Hori Fighting Stick REALLY makes Magical Drop (and i'd assume the other games) much more playable and give it the arcade feel that the Wiimote on its side just doesn't bring.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arcade versions of Bad Dudes and Crude Buster are worth the $20 price tag alone

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad Road Avenger and Panic isn't included on this. It would be worth it alone for Road Avenger!
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to say, I'm not a fan of how G1M2 handled Heavy Barrel at all. Why the hell is the CC twin stick control option so terrible? I'm not annoyed that the twin-sticks are analog, I just really wish they had implemented an auto-firing option when you use the right stick. The L & R buttons are terrible for rapid fire and awkward to repeatedly tap when using both sticks. A Smash T.V./Total Carnage style control option is always a safe bet for rotary stick based coin-op games. Hope they thought about this for the Ikari Warriors games in their upcoming SNK Arcade Classics 0 PSP release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree, I didn't care for that one bit. I was happy to be able to independently target and not be forced to just shoot in the direction my character was facing, but they should've took it one step forward beyond that.

Technically though, that was how it was in the arcade. Twisting the rotary stick just aimed and you had to use separate buttons for firing your weapons and throwing grenades.

Just the same, I would've liked the option when using a Classic Controller or GCN controller that your primary fire button would automatically trigger whenever using the right analog to aim. And it would of course have to be set to autofire to achieve the desired effect.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-03-2014 at 02:10 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm definitely getting this. I just recently beat Atomic Runner and Darwin 4081. Too bad that Chelnov is not on there. But no matter. I'm a big fan of Data East.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For those of you that love Heavy Barrel on this collection, here's a perfect controller for you.

It's the upcoming Hori Battle Pad Turbo, a Classic Controller equivalent and one of two such upcoming GameCube style clones (PDP's also coming out with similarly themed officially licensed GCN style Classic Controllers for November's Super Smash Brothers launch). Note the turbo functionality which means no more constantly and repeatedly pressing the right shoulder button to fire your primary weapon in Heavy Barrel.

I don't know about anyone else, but my hands didn't appreciate that even though it was accurate to the arcade original. I'd of preferred that G1M2 would've set this up with their emulator so that the main gun would automatically trigger any time you aimed with the right analog stick (Like Robotron 2084 and similar games).

But just keeping R depressed should be much easier on the hands (And the short throw is also nice compared to using the GameCube or original Classic Controller).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-22-2014 at 07:33 PM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Nice controller, but not for Heavy Barrel. I mean, dual analog is better than goofy shoulder button rotation, but if you've played games like Heavy Barrel, Guerilla War, or Time Soldiers on a cabinet, the 12 position rotating joystick is a totally different experience... I guess for practicality this is as good of a solution as there is, but man, it's so different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Indeed, but the manner this collection uses the right analog stick is the best one can do short of owning an actual cabinet. And this controller should rectify the biggest issue, as explained in post #131 that remained with their setup.

That's assuming of course that turbo functionality applies to the shoulder buttons as well and isn't restricted to just the face buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz View Post
    I have to say, I'm not a fan of how G1M2 handled Heavy Barrel at all. Why the hell is the CC twin stick control option so terrible? I'm not annoyed that the twin-sticks are analog, I just really wish they had implemented an auto-firing option when you use the right stick. The L & R buttons are terrible for rapid fire and awkward to repeatedly tap when using both sticks. A Smash T.V./Total Carnage style control option is always a safe bet for rotary stick based coin-op games.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-06-2015 at 03:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Definitely true. I wish there was an X arcade rotary stick or something similar, though. I have a Time Soldiers dedicated cabinet in my basement I can throw Heavy Barrel into, but it'd be an expensive option by comparison for most if they don't have one, 'cause those old Seimitsu sticks are getting pricey. One thing turbo removes, though, is that on some of these games, like Time Soldiers, turbo fire is a power up that has a major impact on play strategy. I can't remember if that was the case with Heavy Barrel, though, as I haven't played it in quite awhile other than the NES port. I have this compilation, too, but I always get caught up playing Burgertime with my wife for high scores and who gets to pick our next date. I wish she was worse at it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you want to see a really bad implementation of LS30 games, check out G1M2's PSP Minis for SNK such as Time Soldiers, the Ikari Warriors series, etc.

You had to use the shoulder buttons to rotate for aiming, instead of AXBY (In Nintendo button terminology) doubling for 8 way independent aiming like has been done in twin stick shooters such as Robotron 2084 over the years on various systems without dual analog sticks.

It absolutely killed the half dozen or so rotary stick games that were released.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-14-2014 at 04:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Oh, totally. I bought SNK Arcade Classics 0 on PSP, and playing Ikari or Guerilla War is just horrific. If that had been my only experience with them I'd think they were terrible. Conversely, Time Soldiers is an all time favorite for me to the point it was the first arcade cabinet I bought. The first time I finished it in one credit was such a rush, and my button hand was so tired from that last stage.

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One nice thing about this collection is that it has 2 expensive Neo Geo games on it: Street Hoop (Dunk Dreams) + Magical Drop III
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.