Thread: Trying to identify a game... probably.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Default Trying to identify a game... probably.

So recently I've been getting flashbacks about a game I played a few years ago. All I can remember about it was a 3D platformer or at least had most of the mechanics of one, it had a pretty vast hub level separated into sections and across at least 3 vertical levels. Individual levels were contiguous with the hub level, either that or they had extremely short loading times, and one level was set in a cave similar to the mines from Oblivion. The whole game had an air of 'isolation' about it, with few enemies around.

The catch is all this may very well have just been a dream. I tend to come up with brand new game ideas in my sleep a lot. So, if this was just a dream, can anyone recommend any good 3D platformers with the emphasis on exploration rather than action?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I don't know what game you're talking about, but I'll recommend Shadow of the Colossus.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii

Your description sounded like any cave area in any of them, particularly Prime 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    So recently I've been getting flashbacks about a game I played a few years ago. All I can remember about it was a 3D platformer or at least had most of the mechanics of one, it had a pretty vast hub level separated into sections and across at least 3 vertical levels. Individual levels were contiguous with the hub level, either that or they had extremely short loading times, and one level was set in a cave similar to the mines from Oblivion. The whole game had an air of 'isolation' about it, with few enemies around.

The catch is all this may very well have just been a dream. I tend to come up with brand new game ideas in my sleep a lot. So, if this was just a dream, can anyone recommend any good 3D platformers with the emphasis on exploration rather than action?
    Well regardless if it was a dream or not I like the idea of it. Exploration in games is a passion of mine as well and these days they are few are far between. Much more intrigue and excitement when you are not exactly sure what you may find and you do indeed find something. When it comes to exploration though music and atmosphere is a key element. You need dramatic or subtle cues to add to the intrigue and give slight hints that you may be near something. While Oblivion is a vast game of exploration to me it is just very repetitive in nature and lacks those subtle cues and tight design.

There is a fine line between fun exploration and boring exploration and level design is also a MAJOR factor. Nooks and crannys will always beat wide open areas of one color and pallete, which is why I usually prefer exploration in the type of Tomb Raider and other more linear types as non-linear games tend to drag out without much well thought out dramatic moments.

Fallout 3 imo is much better than Oblivion and feels much more interesting, I would also recommend Uncharted: Drakes Fortune and honesly I loved the first Halo cause of the tight exploration feel of the levels which was lost in the sequel and really pissed me off to no end. There are many out there and if you look enough some really good quality ones, though I have yet to experience the definitive exploration game, as in one that can be shared in co-op online without being necessary.

This is why I will be getting Borderlands and Demon's Souls next month as they closely represent this type of gameplay. A solo exploration experience with a multiplayer kick that adds to the experience. They are figuring out how to include multiplayer into vast exploration games without it being necessary which I think is very important for many genres, especially MMO's. There are MMO's that "claim" to be a solo experience but just are not.

Sorry, i'm not sure what your game is. The closest I can think is "Azurik: Rise of Perathia" which was on the original Xbox and was a pretty big failure yet had alot of good ideas, but was poorly executed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

The more I come to think of it the more I realise it probably was Metroid Prime 1. God I loved that game. I'm still on the lookout for great exploration games though. Hell, I played Wind Waker to death filling in the map and loved every second of it so that should be a good indication of my leanings gameplay-wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Batman: Arkham Asylum is great so check it out!

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

He said he's looking for 3d platformers with exploration. Not too many of those.

I'd be able to list alot more if it was just 3d platformers or non platformer games with exploration.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can confirm that Metroid Prime has a strong feeling of "isolation," almost claustrophobic as well. That's a LOT better with Wii control...

Azurik came to my mind as well.

One more that comes to mind is Shadow Man, which might fit your description a bit better. I have it on DC, but it's also on N64 and possibly PSX (?).

Turok also might fit, as it has platformer elements and hub worlds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could be Shadow Tower or a King's Field game. What generation/platform was it on?
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Could be on of the following three:

1. Metroid Prime (any) - Seems to fit the description.
    2. Some Tomb Raider - missing the hub
    3. Soul Reaver - Vast, can't remember if it had a hub.