Thread: Retro Resurrection - Mickey Mania

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Retro Resurrection - Mickey Mania

Hey everyone! Just finished up my last part to my Mickey Mouse retrospective.

This time I take a quick look at Mickey Mania and all the consoles it came out on in this one so check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-i7LAHL8gY

Please give me feedback on it, I'm always trying to improve and I appreciate everything anyone has to say!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by HappehLemons; 09-09-2009 at 07:55 PM.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice video, I always enjoy the cross-system comparison videos. I also appreciate that you weren't trying to create an "AVGN" character, you were just being yourself.

Cool intro too, nice job.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very cool video. For some reason I had thought the Sega CD version was better, but I guess I was wrong. I will probably dig out my copy sometime soon.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I watched your previous episode over at retrowaretv - very good stuff! I would like to see more.

There is one thing I would like to note: In the section where you show the poor hit detection in the SNES version with the bat, you show a clear visual example of your claim to back up a point. I would recommend that you do this more often.

I am impressed by your 'investigative journailsim' and the writing of your overall narrative; however, a claim of "impressive graphics" will be garner more support by a follow-up with a very specific visial reference, perhaps highlighting or circling a few specific items. Here you can highlight the minut oberservations that you, as the viewer, have noticed, something that is very unique to your personal experience with the game.

This isn't really a critique as it is a request for more of the good stuff. Sometimes when creating media, the author must think to themselves, "Do I really need to highlight this any more, or make this any more obvious that it already is?" The reality is that most viewers prefer these in-you-face examples. They are some of the most memorable, for both the good and bad elements. I would recommend just really driving it home in these situations.

There is a book called "Made to Stick" that simply talks about the most effective ways to drive your point across. I recommend it highly.

Again, I think your videos are very good. The use of the short clips of the carts smashing into the genny in the previous epidode was pure gold. You have your own presentation, and agree that I do like that you aren't copying other popular game-reviewer personalities - just be you. This is why I like the half-blind gamer, the gamer overthinker, and the tiger claw tv guy so much. Keep it up.
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked the first part and I enjoyed the second part...and I too appreciate that you didn't copy the AVGN like so many other people out there.

I want to see more!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice. I really enjoyed this video as Mickey Mania is still one of my all time favorite games, period. However, I do really like the Sega CD version. Nice video though, at least you didn't come off as a know it all that knows nothing or some shouting idiot trying to be funny when you aren't. Props dude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheesystick View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I watched your previous episode over at retrowaretv - very good stuff! I would like to see more.

There is one thing I would like to note: In the section where you show the poor hit detection in the SNES version with the bat, you show a clear visual example of your claim to back up a point. I would recommend that you do this more often.

I am impressed by your 'investigative journailsim' and the writing of your overall narrative; however, a claim of "impressive graphics" will be garner more support by a follow-up with a very specific visial reference, perhaps highlighting or circling a few specific items. Here you can highlight the minut oberservations that you, as the viewer, have noticed, something that is very unique to your personal experience with the game.

This isn't really a critique as it is a request for more of the good stuff. Sometimes when creating media, the author must think to themselves, "Do I really need to highlight this any more, or make this any more obvious that it already is?" The reality is that most viewers prefer these in-you-face examples. They are some of the most memorable, for both the good and bad elements. I would recommend just really driving it home in these situations.

There is a book called "Made to Stick" that simply talks about the most effective ways to drive your point across. I recommend it highly.

Again, I think your videos are very good. The use of the short clips of the carts smashing into the genny in the previous epidode was pure gold. You have your own presentation, and agree that I do like that you aren't copying other popular game-reviewer personalities - just be you. This is why I like the half-blind gamer, the gamer overthinker, and the tiger claw tv guy so much. Keep it up.
    I know exactly what you mean. I was going to show how Mickeys walking animation alone is 11 frames, which is the one longest walking animations on any genny game I've played. I wanted prove how the game has amazingly smooth animation.. but for some reason I decided to leave it out and you make me wish I didn't. I'll try and pick up that book though, it sounds like something that I'd be interested in.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome videos so far. Keep it up. I really enjoyed them.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I liked it, I only found two things wrong with it:

1. Mickey Mania wasn't made by Sega, it was made by Sony Imagesoft.

2. Your voice sounds really bland and boring, like you're being forced to review Mickey Mania. There's no excitement, no anger, no pizazz. And that kind of turned me off to the commentary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I liked it, I only found two things wrong with it:

1. Mickey Mania wasn't made by Sega, it was made by Sony Imagesoft.

2. Your voice sounds really bland and boring, like you're being forced to review Mickey Mania. There's no excitement, no anger, no pizazz. And that kind of turned me off to the commentary.
    I know that, but I never said who made Mickey Mania. All I said was that the game was on Sega, not made by them. If you're talking about the end where I say that this is one of Segas less known games, all I meant was it wasn't one of the more well known games on Segas console.

I agree, but I'd like to think it's gotten better from my first one. And about half way thru the video (around 2:40) I felt I picked it up a little bit.
    Thanks for the critique.
    Click Me!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Wow. That was actually really good. I don't even collect platformers and I want the game now.