Thread: Useful eBay feature? Fixed and variable auction descriptions (for mass edit purposes)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Useful eBay feature? Fixed and variable auction descriptions (for mass edit purposes)

I was wondering if Turbo Lister or any other software allows me to do the following. Let's say I want to sell Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX. My overall auction description listing would consist of 3 sections:

SECTION A: Item Description
    SECTION B: Shipping Prices
    SECTION C: Terms and Conditions

SECTION A: Descriptions unique to this particular item only. For example, game condition, item photo HTML code, other general game information.

This section is a manual variable.

It is manual because I have to edit this section for each item separately. This is because each item obviously has its own unique combination of information.

It is variable because I may or may not continue to edit and update this section in the future.

--------------------------------

SECTION B: Descriptions that apply to groups of items. For example, the shipping prices. For example, the PS1 games (FFVII, VIII, IX) have x shipping prices and their respective guidebooks have y shipping prices.

This section is an automatic variable.

It is automatic because some items (games or books) share similar information (shipping prices), forming a group. One group (e.g. games) however has different information from another group (e.g. books). This means I can save time by editing the information of groups of items.

It is variable because the information in this section frequently changes. For example, the post office might raise its prices (and I have to edit my shipping prices too) or I might use a different currency to sell the items with (and I have to again edit my shipping prices).

--------------------------------

SECTION C: Terms and condition.

This section is fixed. Pretty self explanatory. Unlike SECTION A & B, the contents of SECTION C apply to every single item and will rarely ever change.

Having said all that, here is what I am trying to do: I want to mass edit SECTION B without touching SECTION A & C. I want an option to mass edit parts of my auction descriptions while leaving other parts intact.

Is this possible?

Note that I have also played around with Turbo Lister's export to .csv function and I almost figured out a way to do what I want to do except for two problems:

1. When I edit the auction descriptions in .csv and import back to Turbo Lister, part of the auction descriptions randomly gets cut off.
    2. Microsoft Excel 2007's "find and replace" function seems to have a 256 character limit.

I can solve point 2 (just make my descriptions shorter) but I have no idea what's going on with point 1.
    Last edited by layzee; 09-14-2009 at 05:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you already try using Turbo Listers find and replace function?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gum_drops View Post
    Did you already try using Turbo Listers find and replace function?
    WTF... Since when was that magnifying glass icon there? And if it has been there for a long time, then this is the first time I clicked on it.

Thanks for that, I could've saved myself so much time and suffered less headaches if I knew about this.