Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another silly comment from Activison!

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    I don't see why everyone's whining about what he said, it's business. Of course they want to build sales on someone purchasing an initial installment. He essentially said what we all know. They give you the option to do more stuff with what you already bought. If you don't want to, then you don't have to. However obviously people do want to play more than one game and one set of songs with the guitar that came with their $100.00 starter bundle.

I will fully admit that the Guitar Hero franchise is very over saturated, especially as of late. Guitar Hero 5 pretty much came as a back to back release after Smash Hits, which was really just a rework to again try to catch up to the Rockband franchise. And then what's in the box, a voucher to get the next game free? Harmonix nailed how to go about adding additional content at about $2.00 a song with the track packs.

Companies wanting to make money off an installed base has been part of the industry since the start. YOU MEAN MAGNAVOX WANTS ME TO BUY A LIGHT RIFLE TO PLAY SHOOTING GAMES ON MY ODYSSEY?! If you don't want additional content and accessories, then don't buy them. Complaining about peripherals is so early 80's. I don't knock the guy for speaking frankly.
    Gotta agree here. We all know that downloadable content is $$$. The perceived problem with it, though, isn't that it costs money but rather when devs put stuff in the game and then charge players to simply unlock that content. That isn't really what's happening with Guitar Hero, at least as far as I'm aware.

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    You're missing the point.

They know it, you know it, but for the love of god, you don't say it. In Corporate America, you don't gloat publicly and being candid and frank is not appreciated. It's bad for business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    Exactly. Hit the nail on the head. Much like Kotick's 'Games should cost morez!' speech. I'm sure every company would like to be able to charge over $100 for every game if they could get away with it. But they certainly would never say it, it's bad for business.
    That sounds pretty backwards to me. So a fatcat who says what everybody is thinking and lays it all out there on the table is more of a skunk than one who thinks the same thing but keeps his mouth shut in public only to let out a hearty Skeletor laugh when alone in his chambers?

In a world where everybody is demanding more straight talk from businessmen and politicians you'd think when we actually do get it we'd be at least a little more willing to listen.

I'll be the first to say the choice of words was less than prudent but what's the real crime here?

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I think the people that disagree with Mr. Kotick don't like his comments because they don't like people bragging about how much potential and how much money a product could make. The comment sounds too outspoken for them. His comment is merely a business viewpoint of his product, it's not like he's going "AHAHAHA GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONIES SO I CAN BECOME RICH!" to his customers. Here's what he's basically saying in a more user-friendly tone:

"Our Guitar Hero is doing very well for Activision right now. With online downloads and extra peripherals we can turn a product that used to only cost $50 into something that could possibly make hundreds of dollars for Activision, which would continue to make your favorite Guitar Hero games. And it gives you a better experience in the process. Nobody wants to play Guitar Hero with a controller right? That's why we make the drums. Don't like the song selection? Download different ones off of the PSN network"

Now nobody would have a problem with that statement like that which says the same thing, in a more consumer-friendly tone now would they?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This isn't news to anyone with half a brain. That being said you don't really want your PR guy rubbing it in on how much money they're making off you.

Activision isn't the only one, all download content is highly profitable. any add on senerio, halo map, etc, etc, is just as much of a so called fleece.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    http://kokugamer.com/2009/09/15/acti...-over-pricing/

Is it me or does Activison seem to love controversy now?
    It isn't Activision as a whole, just their CEO Bobby Kotick. Yesterday he was also quoted saying: "The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

As I posted under that article, Bobby is becoming the "new" Ken Kuturagi of this generation. Everytime he opens his mouth an abundance of idiotic insane ranting comes out.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by IcBlUsCrN View Post
    the analogy of corporate types buying $150k is wrong as they have money and easily can afford it. meanwhile a lot of gamers cant afford crap but they do what they have to to get the next hyped game.
    I didn't really explain where I was going with this. It's an issue of scale.

Gamer: GH5 just came out, gotta have it no matter what the cost!
    Exec: The 2010 Benz SL500 just came out, gotta have it no matter what the cost!

In both situations, it's the same mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    That sounds pretty backwards to me. So a fatcat who says what everybody is thinking and lays it all out there on the table is more of a skunk than one who thinks the same thing but keeps his mouth shut in public only to let out a hearty Skeletor laugh when alone in his chambers?

In a world where everybody is demanding more straight talk from businessmen and politicians you'd think when we actually do get it we'd be at least a little more willing to listen.
    There is no such thing as a honest politician for a reason. You wouldn't want to know how they really feel about everything!

I'll be the first to say the choice of words was less than prudent but what's the real crime here?
    Brutal honesty? Going against the status quo?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    "Our Guitar Hero is doing very well for Activision right now. With online downloads and extra peripherals we can turn a product that used to only cost $50 into something that could possibly make hundreds of dollars for Activision, which would continue to make your favorite Guitar Hero games. And it gives you a better experience in the process. Nobody wants to play Guitar Hero with a controller right? That's why we make the drums. Don't like the song selection? Download different ones off of the PSN network"

Now nobody would have a problem with that statement like that which says the same thing, in a more consumer-friendly tone now would they?
    No, because there is a fine later of bullshit over it for mass consumption. It's why they flavor medication so you don't tear out your tongue because the liquid is so bitter. Makes things easier to swallow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There is no such thing as a honest politician for a reason. You wouldn't want to know how they really feel about everything!

Brutal honesty? Going against the status quo?
    So in other words, when people say they want straight talk from people in power they're full of it. People don't really want to be told the truth. They like being fed the PR line because it's easier to listen to.

I vehemently disagree. I'd rather hear something that hurts than be played the fool. The guy's clearly a bit off his rocker for a number of the things he's said. But at least we know where he stands. I don't think he should be singled out as a villain solely because he's saying what this CEO is thinking or that CEO is thinking. Are we punishing the idea or just the verbalizing of it? What should we be punishing if anything at all?

Remember what you're saying. You want to hang the guy for being honest about what he thinks. Perhaps he's tactless in his honesty but, nevertheless, remember what you're saying the next time you get angry at a lying politician or a sleazy businessman.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 09-16-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

So in other words, when people say they want straight talk from people in power they're full of it. People don't really want to be told the truth. They like being fed the PR line because it's easier to listen to.

I vehemently disagree. I'd rather hear something that hurts than be played the fool. The guy's clearly a bit off his rocker for a number of the things he's said. But at least we know where he stands. I don't think he should be singled out as a villain solely because he's saying what this CEO is thinking or that CEO is thinking. Are we punishing the idea or just the verbalizing of it? What should we be punishing if anything at all?

Remember what you're saying. You want to hang the guy for being honest about what he thinks. Perhaps he's tactless in his honesty but, nevertheless, remember what you're saying the next time you get angry at a lying politician or a sleazy businessman.
    I don't get angry at them, I don't want to punish him. I've been through this too many times that I'm numb to it. It's the way things work. I think one of the first times I realized the level of bullshit people throw around is when Bill Clinton said "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

The whole Internets reaction of "This guy is a dick" is just proving that people can't handle the truth. I'd hate to see NeoGAF's thread on this latest gem.

There is no punishment or reciprocation, which was also a motivator for him being so off the cuff. He's not crazy, he's brazen. And that is looked down upon in America's HR-controlled, politically correct corporate culture. All I'm saying is he shouldn't have done it because it goes against the hierarchy that put him at the top of one of the largest publishers out there. To answer your question, I'm just verbalizing it and pointing it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

Well, if he worked for Nintendo, that's how he'd say it.

As for all the "no one wants to hear how much money they're making off you" - What's it cost to develop a AAA title featuring a new IP on a single platform these days? $15 - $20 million? Yeah, they're just stealing our money left and right! Hopefully your game sells and you turn a profit, rather than it being sent to discounters and sold at a loss on clearance - as a good number of those AAA titles do these days. Ever wonder why Ubisoft keeps pumping out those Imagine titles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't get angry at them, I don't want to punish him. I've been through this too many times that I'm numb to it. It's the way things work. I think one of the first times I realized the level of bullshit people throw around is when Bill Clinton said "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

The whole Internets reaction of "This guy is a dick" is just proving that people can't handle the truth. I'd hate to see NeoGAF's thread on this latest gem.

There is no punishment or reciprocation, which was also a motivator for him being so off the cuff. He's not crazy, he's brazen. And that is looked down upon in America's HR-controlled, politically correct corporate culture. All I'm saying is he shouldn't have done it because it goes against the hierarchy that put him at the top of one of the largest publishers out there. To answer your question, I'm just verbalizing it and pointing it out.
    I agree that what he's doing isn't considered corporately cordial. You'll get no argument from me on those grounds. What I'm asking, though, is why he's considered the bad guy in this thread. If speaking the truth when we get so little of it in the first place is wrong then it's no wonder we get so little of it in the first place.

What I'm reading is that people are angry because what he's saying more or less comes off as greed. "We're making a killing because we're nickel and diming you people! Yay, us!"

But what people seem angry about isn't so much the idea of the greed itself (if you can even call it that) but rather that he simply verbalized it. Therefore, Activision is taking more heat than, say, Namco or Capcom (which also have a tendency to nickel and dime, and for stuff already in the damn game no less) simply because Namco and Capcom are better at feeding the company line. I don't see why Activision should be punished above other companies that do the same thing simply because Activision isn't feeding the public the standard PR nonsense.

To get mad at Kotick is like saying "You shouldn't be telling us what you really think. You should be telling us what a great bargain we're getting even if it's no bargain at all."
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 09-16-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

What I'm asking, though, is why he's considered the bad guy in this thread.
    Damned if I know. Best guess is people like to complain about things if they can. See also: Obama calling famous jackass Kayne West "a jackass" and the media "uproar" that a human being called a jackass a jackass.

If speaking the truth when we get so little of it in the first place is wrong then it's no wonder we get so little of it in the first place.
    Ding, fries are done.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing that really pisses me off about Activision is their total lack of support once the warantee period has expired. They don't provide parts nor do the have an exchange service for broken peripherials, they just expect the stupid gamer to go buy another of their poorly engineered products. I, for one , will not purchase their products for this reason.

As far as Kotick's statements, you know that they are making tons of money off of you, but he doesn't have to be so arrogant. Kinda like biting the hand that feeds you. Activision is a business and they need to make money to survive, they should be grateful they are suceeding in these hard economic times. And they are suceeding due to their customers, he should conside this before making any statements to the public.

George

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ain't sayin he's a gold digger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

Quote Originally Posted by kanye View Post
    Yo, Kayne. I'mma let you finish, but lemme interrupt and say that Activision had one of the best comments of ALL TIME.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I am so glad that I got a PSP and downloaded Beats for $5. That rhythm game that lets you chose any of your mp3s you want for the game. It was fun enough to turn me off to the Guitar Hero and Rock band series. Here you pay a small amount of money once and have at it. Buying a new music CD is like buying more levels for the game. You just import the CD to your PS3 and move the song to the PSP memory stick. The only difference is that you can take the CD anywhere and listen to it unlike the Guitar Hero / Rock Band songs you buy.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This guy is an idiot. Wasn't he the same guy who said Activision might stop supporting Sony if they didn't drop the price of the PS3!? I don't even like Activision, they're just another EA to me. Other than GH, COD, and the odd comic book based game, most of their games are average at best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=97343

There's more for y'all to argue about.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's amazing how American business went from build a quality product, to build it quick and as cheap as possible!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

It would appear that Activision's current stewards have forgotten just why the company was founded in the first place.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW View Post
    It would appear that Activision's current stewards have forgotten just why the company was founded in the first place.
    Exactly, I'm surprised that David Crane hasn't said anything about it yet nor asked for the board of directors to kick out Kotick. I don't think it will happen if at all.

I also think that eventually some of the studio heads (Blizzard, Infinity Ward, etc.) will get sick of what's going on and leave to start their own shop again.

Judging by Activision's job openings (a lot of which are VP level positions), I imagine that there is quite a bit of turnover and it's not as great as believed.

I seriously hope for a public meltdown for Kotick where he cusses out Adam Sessler on G4. Or one of the talking heads on CNBC or FOX Business.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by kanye View Post
    Yo, Beyonce shoulda won that award!