Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Development Hamdware I Bought today

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Some Development Hamdware I Bought today

A new idea for dev hardware hunters. The Junkyard, Seriously, Read ahead and se what a few dollars got me. Earlier today I went to a semi-local Surplus Dealer/Junkyard Apex Electronics (Website: http://www.apexelectronic.com/ ) for some computer parts. I found two Items of value.
    1: Wide-Boy 64
    This is a Gameboy Color Version but I am still having a lot of trouble identifying which one as there seems to be several of them. I don't have a Nintendo 64 so I can't test it yet, Is there anything I consider before I go across town to buy one to test this thing, and any guides on how to identify these things? The Labels are sun damaged but are present, complete, and readable Cartridge only

2: NPDP-GCT-0300 Hard Drive Cartridge for the Nintendo Gamecube (Dolphin) Development Kit
    This one again untested. (Hey, many of us don't have hundreds of dollars to spent on Dev kit components on ebay!!) Has several company labels from a Major Company (Please don't ask which company, I don't want anyone to be fired in the event that there is a beta or anything like that on that.) I also found a Gameboy Advance Wireless Adapter that has labels from that same company, suggesting the possibility that there may be more of this stuff that I missed. The Labels are clean, present, complete, and readable, Cartridge only
    Any way to test/read it other than to buy a dev kit (complete or otherwise)

If anyone wants to go there and search I found these out in the yard near the computer related circuit boards, and the people there are quite helpful in pointing people in the right direction. If you find anything tell us about it. Both of these put together plus several computer parts cost me $8.25 so if these don't work I don't lose much. (And to think I went there for a lousy SCSI terminator! *Laughs Hysterically*)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can help a little with the Wide boy question. There is at least one model that was designed for GBC, and at least one for GBA. Depending on the size of the cartridge slot, you can determine which model you have (The GBA model's cartridge slot is much shorter). I have been told that GBC games won't play in the GBA, but GBC and regular GB worked perfectly fine in mine before I sold it to Dream. Not sure if that's the info you were looking for, but I hope it helps. Nice snags too!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's the part I can figure out based on the IR port on this unit. It seems though there are 2 variations of the color series, one with a 40-Pin connector below the cartridge slot, mine does not have that. Also what is the connector on the upper left corner used for. Mine is also a Revision A. Thanks

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I had one of those years ago. I found a boxed famicom complete and a sega saturn dev box. I need to hit them up again soon

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So What are these items worth, since I may sell them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post

I'd be interested in the wide boy if you decide to sell......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by willis82 View Post
    I'd be interested in the wide boy if you decide to sell......
    Mark sold his wideboy to Dream last year for $265 shipped to give people an idea of the pricing of such an item.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    If there are games on the NPDP-Cartridge expect $250-350. If it's empty or if you are unable to test it...$200

Orpent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orpent View Post
    If there are games on the NPDP-Cartridge expect $250-350. If it's empty or if you are unable to test it...$200

Orpent
    Only a $50 difference between a blank cart and one with a game on it? I would have thought a blank cart would be worth significantly less, but then again I'm no expert when it comes to NPDP stuff.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't suppose anyone lives in Southern California that can test the NPDP-GCT-0300. I can find a Nintendo 64 so I should be able to test the Wide Boy 64 in a few weeks.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    Only a $50 difference between a blank cart and one with a game on it? I would have thought a blank cart would be worth significantly less, but then again I'm no expert when it comes to NPDP stuff.
    Well $200 vs. $250-350 is a difference of $50-150, but with the NPDP-Carts you mostly pay for the hardware. Even though the USD has gotten weaker compared to most currencies this year, USD prices on the NPDP-Carts have still fallen.

There are a few NPDP-Carts for sale right now on [other game collector forums] for $325 + shipping, and those carts do have game(s) on them. They don't seem to be selling very quickly however so an offer of $250-275 + shipping might get you one.

I might adjust my estimate on the value of blank carts. Maybe $150-200 is more like it, but empty carts dont turn up very often as most carts were bought to be used ($1200 /each from NOA if I remember correctly), so it's not like companies bought loads of them just to let them sit there.

A word of caution though, I would be wary of paying to much for NPDP-Carts that has had the warranty sticker removed. At least if the cart has some interesting game on it. It is quite easy to remove the harddrive from the NPDP-Cart and hook it up to your computer and put a game on it. A picture of the NPDP-Cart internals for reference:

Orpent
    Last edited by Orpent; 09-20-2009 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I just got back from there. Was no where near as lucky as you were. All I found was a PS1 multi-tap that they wanted $5 for, I passed. I saw a couple of work stations of the type that game studios use, but they were gutted. I did see a laser disc recorder, which was pretty neat to see. I looked through that circuit board area you mentioned, might have been something towards the back, kind of hard to look through without the whole thing falling on you!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I should have put a little more emphasis on the "Junkyard" part Huh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I figured it would be something like that. It was fun to look around and see all the interesting junk!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Sounds like a cool place! I wish there was one like that in Tucson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish I knew exactly wehere on the site this stuff was found.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nensondubois View Post
    I wish I knew exactly wehere on the site this stuff was found.
    If you go there walk out to the yard and go straight you will notice a small section at the end of one of the aisles containing a large number of computer motherboards and cards. Both finds were about 2-3 aisles down from there one in a bin sitting on the ground another in a bin that had a ball of computer cables, keyboards etc in it.

On a side note I took another trip and I did not find anything else of value, Just some Xbox Scart cables. which can be found a bit to the right of the yard entrance.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orpent View Post
    I might adjust my estimate on the value of blank carts. Maybe $150-200 is more like it
    Empty NPDP-Cartridge without warranty sticker sold for $160.38 on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/NPDP-Cartridge_W...ptZVideo_Games

Orpent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow... that place looks amazing!

I think I'd spend all my free time thinking up ways to use the stuff they have if there was one near me. And so very affordable. Man....

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know you can't exactly fix the typo in your thread title, but I can't help cracking up every time I read "Some Development Hamdware I Bought Today". Every time I read your thread title I imagine this giant glazed ham with circuit boards on it hooked up to a computer.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!