Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's All Play-Current challenge: Beat Outrun - end in one of the bottom 3 goals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DDCecil View Post
    You might be thinking of Super Mario Land, where a continue is rewarded after 100,000 points.

In SMB, just hold down B and press start at the game over screen to continue on the last world you were on (ie if you died on 3-4, you'll start on 3-1).

Glad I'm not the only one who can never time the 1-up trick.

Oh yeah, I'm still thinking of a good challenge.
    Seriously? That's how to continue?!? I don't have to restart all the way at 1-1?!?! Hell, this'll be easy --although annoying-- the next time I pick up and play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vivaeljason View Post
    EDIT: Oh, and I'm convinced the infinite 1-up trick has always been an inside joke because it's basically impossible.
    I've only managed to do it once or twice. Usually I would end up dying instead. I did watch a friend of mine who could do it every time though. You can do the same trick in SMB3 as well off pretty much any enemy. I don't remember the exact rules but if you bounce off so many enemies without touching the ground you get an extra life for each additional time.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I've only managed to do it once or twice. Usually I would end up dying instead. I did watch a friend of mine who could do it every time though. You can do the same trick in SMB3 as well off pretty much any enemy. I don't remember the exact rules but if you bounce off so many enemies without touching the ground you get an extra life for each additional time.
    I do remember it being easier to pull off in SMB3, in that I actually succeeded in getting a ton of 1ups at a time at least once in that game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is an awesome idea. I should have some time before the weekend to give it a try. I'll report back!
    Kevin
    Blog | Twitter | Twitch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sounds like a fun little endeavour. Now I've beaten all 32 levels at least a few times before, most recently in January last year (I remember because I was trying to finish a different game each day, and that was among the first ones).

So, I should be able to find some time this week (probably Friday morning) to tackle it again.

Edit: and I've never been able to do the unlimited 1-up trick, and I hear that if you surpass 100 lives, the game crashes and it's game over. However, I tried a game genie cheat that should have gotten me over 100 lives, and the game never crashed.
    Last edited by Sparkster; 09-23-2009 at 01:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DDCecil View Post
    In SMB, just hold down B and press start at the game over screen to continue on the last world you were on (ie if you died on 3-4, you'll start on 3-1)
    Isn't it the A button?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and I've never been able to do the unlimited 1-up trick, and I hear that if you surpass 100 lives, the game crashes and it's game over. However, I tried a game genie cheat that should have gotten me over 100 lives, and the game never crashed.
    That is true, it does crash. I have done it myself. But it was fixed in other versions. Mario Deluxe on the Gameboy fixed it (i used to own it). If i remember right the made a max number you could not go over. And i'm pretty sure it was fixed on All Stars as well.

I can do the 1up trick almost every time. I was gonna try the challenge but i cannot get myself away from the game i'm playing. I just bought Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. I am not a big fan of RPG's, but i thought i'd give this one a try. Now i'm hooked and i can't get away. Playing it all day and all night. It was even in my dream last night.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a video of a guy doing the 1-up trick. It just never works that way for me, the shell always ricochets off the block and slides down the stairs. I can do it on an emulator it I try over and over with save states, but I can't pull it off the first time on an NES.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLjzO...eature=related

And to continue in Super Mario Bros., when the title screen comes back up hold down A and press start. You'll be on stage *-1. (If you died in 5-4, you'll continue at stage 5-1)

It's also possible to jump over the flag pole in 3-3.
    Last edited by XYXZYZ; 09-23-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Seriously, you guys have a hard time doing the 1UP trick? I haven't played SMB on a real NES in 20 years but I'm sure I can still do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post
    Edit: and I've never been able to do the unlimited 1-up trick, and I hear that if you surpass 100 lives, the game crashes and it's game over.
    The game doesn't crash, but it does set your lives at zero (it still shows you having Mario x "weird symbols") so when you die next, game over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, made it to level 8-4 with 2 lives and man, I don't remember all them hammer bros. lol, shows how long it has been.

I've only had so much time and when you get Ustream viewers you kinda start feeling obligated to do speed runs, as I know they are much more fun to watch. Anyway I made it to 8-4 playing in speed run, now that I have it down i'm gonna take my time tomorrow and knock it out.

This has been really fun, yet more challenging than I remembered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks to knowing how to continue, I've made it to 6-3 and hit a brick wall. Once those Bullet Bills come flying PLUS springs....you can forget it.

I'll try again tomorrow, but I don't know how well it'll go.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Jehusephat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is kind of strange. I just beat SMB a couple of days ago without warping, but I was entirely unaware that this challenge was going on until just now. I was trying to beat The Lost Levels on the Mario All-Stars cart with my wife--each of us taking one life or one level, whichever came first--but the challenge proved too tough for both of us and I ended up compromising by playing through SMB without warping instead. I was trying to do the other one without warping, too, but that was only because every time I've ever tried to warp in that game I've just gotten one of those annoying reverse warps and quit playing. I guess I completed the challenge...?

I've actually developed a habit of playing SMB straight through when I'm stressed out, because it helps me take my mind off of things. I used to have a really awesome job (it was actually a horrible job with one really awesome part) where I was allowed to have a NES hooked up, so I could keep myself entertained when there weren't any customers around. One day I was working on a holiday, and everyone thought we were closed so I had maybe 10 customers all day. The only game I had thought to bring to work with me was SMB, so I decided to play it straight through as many times as I possibly could before the day ended. I can't remember the exact count now, but I know the total for the day was somewhere around ten times in a row. I'll always remember the day I got paid to play SMB all day as one of the best days of my working life. I also remember the day I brought Dr. Mario with me, because it was the first and only time in my life I reached the level cap on hard. I thought it could never be done, and I certainly can't do it now, but on that day I was a Dr. Mario machine. Then there was the day my co-worker beat Battletoads right in front of me. He didn't just brag about how he could beat it. He beat it on the first try. It blew my mind. I miss my old job...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jehusephat View Post
    ...I ended up compromising by playing through SMB without warping instead... I guess I completed the challenge...?
    Even though it was only a coincidence, you beat the challenge

BTW, what was your old job? Getting paid to play NES would have been fantastic.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

So far made it to 6-4. Since I'm using Super Mario All-Stars, I'll be able to resume tonight...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well I did it. I made the run straight never saved or used A+Start but I guess I should have, oh well it was fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Done and done about 10 minutes ago.

Notes:
    - Started off with the ultimate suckiosity... that's right, I mistimed my jump, and got offed by the first goomba in 1-1, I blame the glare of the sun
    - After that, I decided that I probably needed to be a coin/1-up slut
    - 1-4 - died from the fireballs while trying to get the mushroom
    - 2-3 - died twice, first by jumping with too much momentum, and then going for the mushroom, the blooper came from out of nowhere
    - I tried for the multiple 1-ups with the koopa in 3-1 (remember that note about being the 1-up slut). Failed, but didn't lose a man
    - 3-2 - died while trying to get the 1-up by killing enemies with the koopa shell. I don't react to the bounce back very well.
    - Settled down really well once the sun had climbed past the window, and was racking up the lives with the coins
    - 7-1 - died via hammer bro
    - Started 8-1 with 9 lives (which is more than I ever have with warping)
    - 8-1 - died twice in the same spot - the flying koopa right before you run over the gaps to get the starman
    - Recovered those 2 lives via coins and the 1-up in 8-2
    - 8-3 - died via one of the hammer bros towards the end
    - Started 8-4 with 8 lives, managed to keep fire Mario all the way through, and beat Koopa with fireballs.
    - Final score 718550

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ONE DAY LEFT! Don't forget - the mission closes Saturday night at 11:59 EDT.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 09-26-2009 at 07:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Got to 6-4 on my first try, but was making too many dumb mistakes. Lost a life on 1-3 and 1-4 even. Was playing on the Virtual Console using the Wiimote.

Think I need to play it on the NES or SuperNes, don't much like the buttons on the Wiimote.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will be trying this one more time in the next few minutes, but I don't think it's going to happen. Oh well, there's always the next challenge.