Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Default Neo PC-E Flash Card (TG-16) Help

I have a Neo PC-E Flash Card for my Turbo Duo, but I can't quite figure out how to get it to work. I finally got the software installed and working (which wasn't easy) and I can write to the card, but I get nothing when I try to use it on my Turbo-Duo. I've tried both US and JPN roms in the correct formats (PCE/TG16 for US and PCE/PCE for JPN), but all I get is a gray or greenish colored screen. I've been using the rom for Darkwing Duck for my US rom and Bomberman 94 for the JPN rom (not both at the same time though, I know that won't work).

Anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong? The card was NIB so I can't believe it's bad.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have an answer, but I'l posting to request that whoever does post an answer, please do so in great detail.

I've recently purchased the same card and I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail, so I'll need some help myself

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Are you using Tototek's Dream Writer software? If so...

1) You *can* do JPN and US roms on the same card... as long as you click the "US Region" box on the program (which you have to do to make it work on a US system regardless)

2) Do you have a true straight-through parallel cord? You might have a null modem cable which will not work. If you have a multimeter you can check that each pin is the same on each side.

Also - possibly the USB cord you use for power might be a bit borked? Without full power you could get a "success transfer" message but it wouldn't hit the card right. Try another USB A/B cord if you have one (often USB printers have the same cord)
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
    Are you using Tototek's Dream Writer software? If so...

1) You *can* do JPN and US roms on the same card... as long as you click the "US Region" box on the program (which you have to do to make it work on a US system regardless)

2) Do you have a true straight-through parallel cord? You might have a null modem cable which will not work. If you have a multimeter you can check that each pin is the same on each side.

Also - possibly the USB cord you use for power might be a bit borked? Without full power you could get a "success transfer" message but it wouldn't hit the card right. Try another USB A/B cord if you have one (often USB printers have the same cord)
    I'm using the software that came with the card (Neo Flash Kit and PCE Writing System), I'm not sure what Dream Writer is.

There is no parallel cord, it uses a little USB card reader for everything. I suppose I could try a different USB port to see if the one I'm using is bad for some reason.

This is the cart I'm using, not the ToTek one: http://www.neoflash.com/img/PC-E-new_1.jpg

Tempest
    Last edited by Tempest; 09-24-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive got one of these and it can be a little tempremental at times.

I know this sounds patronizing, but make sure the card is inserted into the slot the right way.
    From what it seems, all of Neo Flash's hardware runs off Gameboy Advance Carts/hardware, so if you look closely, youll notice one end of the PCE card is actually a GBA sized/pinned end.

You can plug it into the GBA, but nothing will happen. However the card reader writes to (if im not mistaken) it in GBA Mode but to a format the PCE understands.

Good luck!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Tempest, I have one of those too. The greenish screen means that the system is hanging on bootup, probably because it's failing the region check.

First, are you using the software that came on CD with your flashcard? I seem to recall that I didn't get it to work until I had installed that; the software from the internet didn't work on its own.

Check the drop-down box at the top of the flasher window. It has the options "TG-16" and "PCE." What that does is byteswap the ROMs (if necessary) for your system's region. You can have a mixture of American TG16 and Japanese PCE games on the same card, and they'll all work if you choose the setting that corresponds with your system region.

It's pretty unlikely, but check that the reset button on the game card isn't stuck or being held down by something. I had an issue with my Laseractive because the hucard slot design forces the button down; I had to remove the button to make it work. However, I don't believe the slot on the Duo is designed the same way, so you shouldn't be having that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I installed both the Neo Power Kit and the Writer software. I didn't touch the Neo Power Kit after I installed it because it doesn't seem to do anything. I assume the right way to insert the card is label side up.

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Yes, it's label side up. You probably guessed, but it's the "GBA" side that goes into the writer, while the other side goes into the system.