Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Dark or Goldeneye

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Perfect Dark or Goldeneye

Which was the better game to play with a friend? I loved Goldeneye's multi-player stages, where you could go around shooting each other, but something about the collaborative effort in Perfect Dark...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I always liked Perfect Dark's multiplayer better. There's more to do, more varied weapons(Farsight!), and the control is a bit better. Also, aren't some of Goldeneye's multiplayer levels included?

I used to always play with my roommate, he had it connected to 2 TV's and we'd each throw a towel over the half showing the other players screen so we couldn't cheat
    Last edited by jb143; 09-24-2009 at 11:11 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For playing with friends, it's got to be Goldeneye. Nothing ever beat the late night gaming sessions where we would all sit around trying to pick each other off with sniper rifles (or my favorite, mines).

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

imo, Perfect Dark was just a better version of goldeneye. Same Engine, same type of gameplay....PD just had better weapons, you could save player stats, bigger maps, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PD has better weapons, but Goldeneye had better levels. It's hard to go wrong with either, but my group of friends generally prefer Goldeneye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hush316

I keep going back to Goldeneye not so much perfect dark it was a good game but it just wasnt good enough to keep going back to

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Before commenting, I'll say that I've never played PD in the co-op mode- just in multiplayer and single player modes.

As far as the single player mode goes, I enjoy Goldeneye quite a bit more. The stage design is great, and I enjoy using the difficulty sliders from the unlocked 007 mode.

Perfect Dark really improved on the multiplayer gameplay in Goldeneye. The weapons are awesome, and I think the secondary functions add a unique touch. Even if you have no one else to play, the sims still add quite a bit of challenge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you've got an expansion pak - Perfect Dark
    If you don't - Goldeneye.

Like other people here, I didn't find a huge difference between the two, but PD does win out because of its weapons.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Goldeneye, no question.

Quote Originally Posted by vivaeljason View Post
    Nothing ever beat the late night gaming sessions where we would all sit around trying to pick each other off with sniper rifles (or my favorite, mines).
    Truer words never spoken.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved Goldeneye, and probably spent more than 500 hours playing between Single Player and Multiplayer. However...I say Perfect Dark wins out on this one, mainly because of the Simulator. I truthfully spent 1000+ hours on that alone, trying to attain the highest rank. I think I only made it up to Assassin (Rank 6), but my stats were ridiculous...of course, I hardly ever played against the Dark bots. Those bots had some of the most ridiculous AI I've ever played against. I'm just proud to have finished all of the Challenges solo, and all but 1 with 2 players.

I sincerely hope they bring back the Challenges in the XBLA version. The memories between that and laughing at Mr. Blonde were priceless.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

4 player Golden Eye was the best. This game ate more hours than any other game I have ever (or will ever)played. Some great times. We waited what seemed like years for Pefect Dark to come out, still playing 4 player Golden Eye everyday. Perfect Dark got delayed so many times, by the time it came out, we all had moved on to LAN gaming. Games like CounterStrike 2.1 replaced the old N64.

Seems like Pefect Dark missed it time for us and Golden Eye was replaced by PC games.
    I still look at Golden Eye as the best Multi-player exprience ever, past or future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    alxbly
    PSN
    alxbly

Perfect Dark is a more technically accomplished game, it has far better multiplayer options and better weapons. And the Combat Simulator was amazing, whether playing with friends or by yourself. However, I still like Goldeneye more; it's the game I really missed when I stupidly sold my first N64 back in 2001.

Although I enjoyed Goldeneye's multiplayer, it was the single player game that really got me hooked. The levels get better as the game progresses and there's so many levels that are memorable; The Dam, Facility, Bunker, Silo, Train, Jungle, Water Caverns, Control Centre, Cradle... and no-one forgets Aztec or Egyptian if they unlocked them (but let's forget Streets if we can). Nearly every level has a distinct feel, so much that you don't really mind playing the "recycled" levels later on. The single player got progressively better as you played it, first though on Agent, discovering the wonders of the AR33's and the RCP90's, but then discovering the beauty of the difficulty structure, as new objectives and areas opened up in each level. The strategy for completing, for example, The Dam level on 00 Agent is so vastly different from the run through you can do on Agent. And the majority of Goldeneye's levels are like this; even if you've already completed the game on Agent, the 00 Agent difficulty feel like an entirely new and different game the first time you play it through.

And this is where Perfect Dark felt a little bit like a let down (to me, anyway). The single player levels start off great but when you get halfway through the game they become forgettable and the end levels decend into a generic hallway shooter stuff. I'm being slightly mean, but Perfect Dark just doesn't have as distinct or interesting environments or objectives. So, yeah, that's why I prefer Goldeneye.
    Xbox Live: alxbly | PSN: alxbly | Wii friend code: 2326 4589 7536 6941

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wholeheartedly agree on the Single Player aspect - Goldeneye had a memorable SP, while Perfect Dark I can hardly remember. Combat Simulator won me over for Perfect Dark though, as I typically didn't have anyone over to play Goldeneye after I moved.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'd say altogether Goldeneye.

Perfect Dark is a great game multiplayer and does include a few of Goldeneye's levels, but the single player sucks. It's got more weapons in Perfect Dark as well and you can choose which weapons you want to be on the field. It's also got some cool challenges you can do multiplayer.

Goldeneye has an amazing single player and then a good multiplayer. The only changes on Goldeneye that you can make on multiplayer are whether you want the weapons to be a combination of this and this or this and this. You can't set each specific weapon like you can in Perfect Dark. Doesn't really detract from the game at all though. The thing about multiplayer is that the multiplayer stages are much better altogether than the ones on Perfect Dark. The ones included in Perfect Dark that are probably the most played between my friends and I are the Goldeneye stages, and Goldeneye has many more good ones that aren't included on Perfect Dark.

Overall. Whichever one you want to play. Goldeneye is only slightly better due to the stages and great single player. Perfect Dark is probably the overall best when it comes strictly to multiplayer.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I played alot of both but if I remember correctly we played more Goldeneye and I liked it more. I should play them again though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Goldeneye for many reasons, one being that you can't be James Bond in Perfect Dark, nor can you have your friend play as Boris, driving you insane as he yells "I am INVINCIBLE!" in a russian accent.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The sim challenges in PD already have added a lot of play time for me, especially when I play alone. They are insanely tough in the RARE FPS tradition (err the Goldeneye tradition, I mean), which is nice.

Goldeneye seems much faster though - PD bogs down quite a bit, though maybe not so much in multiplayer. Can't be stunned with punches either; I'm sure that drives many people insane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

When it comes to more than one person, Perfect Dark easily outmatches GoldenEye for fun and stuff to do. Co-op mode, counter-op mode, multiplayer. All great.
    DERP

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Timesplitters

(but if I have to choose Goldeneye)
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

Goldeneye. While Perfect Dark is a great game also, I enjoyed the more "realistic" feel of Goldeneye if you know what I mean. I liked how the game is set in a more modern setting instead of a futuristic setting, and I enjoyed the stages and weapons more. It is hard to find something more enjoyable than kicking your friend's asses at Goldeneye while staying up all night jazzed up on soda.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5