0 Posts

Default Minyanville: Virtual Boy = Overhyped Product

Original article:
    http://www.minyanville.com/articles/.../index/a/24401

It's also made Yahoo! news:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...hyped-products

Yahoo!'s summary (the Minyanville link has more including a commercial):
    6. Virtual Boy

Sandwiched somewhere in between Nintendo's triumphant releases of its Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1993) and its Nintendo 64 (1996), a long-forgotten gaming console has been marooned on an island of obscurity. Its name: Virtual Boy.

At a time when video-game graphics were still in puberty, developers were racing for the next big graphics breakthrough, and virtual reality was an uncharted wilderness. In 1994, Nintendo engineer Gunpei Yokoi created a system that displayed real three-dimensional images rather than rendering the illusion of a third dimension, which was the case in all systems up to that point.

Virtual Boy got a lot of hype, but its performance didn't live up to it. When looking into the display goggles, the popping picture was a simple red-on-black background. The company had determined that adding more colors would have been too pricey, causing it to retail for over $500 as opposed to the $179.95 it actually sold for initially.

Nintendo promised the development of a cable link-up, which would allow two players to connect and play each other at the same time. But it never materialized. Initial sales of the system came in 40% below Nintendo's estimates. After only 14 games were released in the US, the line was discontinued.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

The Virtual Boy was a great idea with VERY poor execution. Ideas like this is what makes Nintendo a legend. Sure, it was a flop but it was a great example of thinking outside the box in such a time of stale home gaming innovation.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Stale? What about Rock Hero, Guitar Band, DJ Hero, DJ Band, Band Guitar, Guitar Guitar, et al? We have portable systems with TWO screens, and..um whatever psp brings to the table.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Quote Originally Posted by Compute View Post
    Stale? What about Rock Hero, Guitar Band, DJ Hero, DJ Band, Band Guitar, Guitar Guitar, et al? We have portable systems with TWO screens, and..um whatever psp brings to the table.
    I could be wrong but I think Clownzilla meant that it was stale when the Virtual Boy came out.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    The Virtual Boy was a great idea with VERY poor execution. Ideas like this is what makes Nintendo a legend. Sure, it was a flop but it was a great example of thinking outside the box in such a time of stale home gaming innovation.
    +1^
    I agree 100% and wish I woulda keep one of them. I will get another one, hopefully in a trade on the DP boards.