Thread: October 2009 Finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I know that my parents' HP was only good for about 4 or 5 years, the board fried or something. My 8260, however, is still solid today. The CD drive is certainly slower, and the hard drive is of the slower 5" variety, but that Pentium II is as fast as ever. Runs Windows 95 beautifully, and plays everything from 80s DOS stuff to System Shock 2. I might bring it to the next lan party and use it for UT99... I've modded it over the years with an 80gb drive (free in a dumpster), 128mb SDRAM ($0.50 at the thrift), and a black case ($15 at CompUSA).
    We have had about 8 computers in our family since our first HP and that HP is the only one that has been replaced that still works.
    DERP

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

No pics, but I got a couple games in the mail today off CL. Kind of weird guy, he wanted $20 whether we met up or shipped. He's around 30 minutes away, so I went with the shipping option. Anyway, got Beyond Good & Evil and Eternal Darkness both for GC.

Also, the other day I grabbed an NES ac adapter and PS1 Monopoly both for 3.01 at a thrift. I just missed out on a Power Glove, but no sensors. Bummer.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Today's finds:

Shadows of the Empire Soundtrack CD (?!)
    Footloose Original Soundtrack Special Edition - $1
    Retro Gamer magazine DVD with 50 old European computer games - $1
    I also picked up a game called TRAG: Mission of Mercy for the PS1 for $3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The only interesting thing today was an original Texas Instruments TI-30 LED calculator for $2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    The only interesting thing today was an original Texas Instruments TI-30 LED calculator for $2.
    Can you snap a pic? I'd like to see it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    And the sad thing is, it turns out I already have two copies of River Raid II. This is why I want the Video Game Trader app on the iPhone/iPod Touch to have a checklist function. I'm tired of buying games again because I forgot that I picked the same title up a couple years ago. Do I really need three copies of Mythicon's Fire Fly? Or Coconuts, or Name This Game? I think I get so excited that I'm finding anything other than common Atari releases that I totally forget what I already have in my collection.
    at least it gives you something interesting to trade for games you don't have right?

but hey if it bothers you that much i'll happily take them off your hands ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Can you snap a pic? I'd like to see it.

Sorry about the lack of focus, no autofocus on this camera. But about the calculator, it actually has a little screensaver if you leave it alone for a while, a little ball running across the screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    [IMG]
    Sorry about the lack of focus, no autofocus on this camera. But about the calculator, it actually has a little screensaver if you leave it alone for a while, a little ball running across the screen.
    I have one of those....worth anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neat calculator. I bought something similar a few months ago, but it needs an AC adapter to run (and charge the internal rechargable battery ). Mine says RUN at the top, so I think it's got some programmable functions.

Unfortunately I have no idea what type of AC adapter it uses

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

An internal battery? Mine runs off of a single 9v battery, but it does have a hole in the side that looks like an AC plug would go into if it used it.

As for worth, I'm seeing online anywhere from $5 to $30, so it's not exactly pinpointable.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just thought I'd mention that I'm going to start going to those Goodwill dock sale things on Tuesday and Thursday. I've found out that they have a TON of electronics and most of them are back there because the employees don't know how to test them and think they are broken. On tuesday I went and passed up a Genesis 2 in a box of junk but maybe tomorrow I'll find some cool game stuff. They had 2 sets of Rock Band drums last time and I think I might buy them for resale if they're still there. They were $5 a piece.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Updating with stuff I picked up today or forgot to list from my earlier finds. Everything is from Goodwill unless otherwise noted (I love my Goodwill):

TRS-80:
    5' RS232C Cable (IDE Cable, essentially) for Model III/12 (Part#26-1408) SEALED! - $0.69
    3x Assorted cables I found that go with my TRS-80 Acoustic Coupler - $0.69

Atari 2600:
    2x Slik Stik Controllers - $2.99, $0.99
    2x Atari Joystick, Model # 1250. Has 2 Fire buttons, appears like a flight stick. Pads on bottom and arrow demarcations below joystick. Anyone have a clue what this controller is? - $2.99

Auction purchase for $40 shipped, all CIB:
    Asteroids
    Pitfall
    Baseball
    Combat
    Venture
    Video Checkers
    Qbert
    Defender
    Popeye
    Donkey Kong
    Oink
    Indy 500

GameCube:
    1st Party GameCube carrying case - $3.99

PS1:
    Clear 1st Party Memory Card - $0.99

PS2:
    Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith CIB - $1.99

SNES:
    Super Scope CIB - $22

Guides:
    Secret Codes 2005 Vol 2. Apparently, there's also a PS2 version of this that I owned - $0.99
    Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness - $0.99
    3x Nintendo Power Mags - $0.39
    How To Beat The Video Games by Michael Blanchet. One of the old "How to Beat" guides for Atari 2600 games from 1982! - $0.99
    World of Warcraft: $1.99
    World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade - $1.99
    10th Anniversary Collector's Edition Complete Pokedex - $1.99

Buy2Get1 from PnT - $10
    BioShock
    Star Ocean: The Last Hope
    LittleBigPlanet

CDs:
    Killer Cuts (Killer Instinct Soundtrack) CIB - $0.99

Misc:
    3' HDMI Cable SEALED - $3.99
    Cubix Sneak Peak VHS from Burger King. Interestingly enough, there is sponsorship from 3DO on it - $0.39
    Last edited by Shadow Kisuragi; 10-14-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Neat calculator. I bought something similar a few months ago, but it needs an AC adapter to run (and charge the internal rechargable battery ). Mine says RUN at the top, so I think it's got some programmable functions.

Unfortunately I have no idea what type of AC adapter it uses

I bought a Commodore Minuteman*3 calculator without batteries (70's era rechargeables that you can't find nowadays). Recently in my junk I found an odd Commodore power supply that I had bought weeks before the calculator in a different thrift, but it turns out to be the exact one for that model. And it turns out that the calculator doesn't register any button presses. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Just thought I'd mention that I'm going to start going to those Goodwill dock sale things on Tuesday and Thursday. I've found out that they have a TON of electronics and most of them are back there because the employees don't know how to test them and think they are broken. On tuesday I went and passed up a Genesis 2 in a box of junk but maybe tomorrow I'll find some cool game stuff. They had 2 sets of Rock Band drums last time and I think I might buy them for resale if they're still there. They were $5 a piece.
    Are you talking about the Goodwill on Waco Drive? I've been there a couple times, but not on the days that they have the back area open. I've been wondering what's back there. Hell, the next time I'm off on a Tuesday or Thursday I might just make the hour-and-a-half drive down there, just to satisfy my curiosity. And they had Rock Band drums there? I keep finding those things in thrifts everywhere I look. They must not be popular accessories, taking up too much room. I wish I could find Steel Batallion controllers that easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And they had Rock Band drums there? I keep finding those things in thrifts everywhere I look. They must not be popular accessories, taking up too much room. I wish I could find Steel Batallion controllers that easily.
    I bought my CIB copy for $100 shipped, and I've seen 4 in the past year in the area here. Most of the copies have sold for ~$100, though I'm not sure about the condition of each. The retailers had a lot of trouble selling them and ended up dropping the price quite a bit, which is how I found mine online. Try searching some auctions and you may find it cheap.

Insert Coin (Level 0) sonictrend's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Kisuragi View Post
    I bought my CIB copy for $100 shipped, and I've seen 4 in the past year in the area here. Most of the copies have sold for ~$100, though I'm not sure about the condition of each. The retailers had a lot of trouble selling them and ended up dropping the price quite a bit, which is how I found mine online. Try searching some auctions and you may find it cheap.
    I picked mine up at an EB-Games / Gamestop. It was used, open but complete. After taxes etc... I think I paid about $35 or $40 for it about two years ago. Havn't seen one around in a long long time though. It's too big to display, so I keep it in the box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Purchased yesterday:

NES:
    Caveman Games (cart only) - $1

DS:
    Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (complete) - $20

(Caveman Games was sold to a friend who had been looking for it - I already have a copy in the collection.)

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by sonictrend View Post
    I picked mine up at an EB-Games / Gamestop. It was used, open but complete. After taxes etc... I think I paid about $35 or $40 for it about two years ago. Havn't seen one around in a long long time though. It's too big to display, so I keep it in the box.
    Got mine at Play N Trade a year ago for about $70. It's complete minus the outer cardboard box. All manuals and parts are there and I actually enjoyed playing the game for a while too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
    Got mine at Play N Trade a year ago for about $70. It's complete minus the outer cardboard box. All manuals and parts are there and I actually enjoyed playing the game for a while too!
    A local PnT sold 2 CIB last year for $60 and $80 each, respectively. I arrived 2 weeks after the first one sold, and the second one was in the process of being sold. I ended up buying mine on eBay after that.

Oddly enough, I stumbled across the Strategy Guide just after winning my auction. I stopped at my usual PnT 20 minutes later, and they had just gotten it in.

Try watching the Game Center CX episode where Arino plays Steel Battalion while interviewing the executive producer. That's what got me interested in it in the first place. There's a classic comment in there, where the executive producer states something along the line of "I wanted to make the controllers out of steel. We ended up dropping this concept, since the total weight ended up being over 20 kilos."

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you talking about the Goodwill on Waco Drive? I've been there a couple times, but not on the days that they have the back area open. I've been wondering what's back there. Hell, the next time I'm off on a Tuesday or Thursday I might just make the hour-and-a-half drive down there, just to satisfy my curiosity. And they had Rock Band drums there? I keep finding those things in thrifts everywhere I look. They must not be popular accessories, taking up too much room. I wish I could find Steel Batallion controllers that easily.
    Yes, it's that Goodwill.
    Most of the stuff in the back is broken, leftover from other Goodwills, or untested (they're unable to test it).

Speaking of which:

All of this came from the dock sale at $0.50 each. The green folder has all 7 Microsoft Office Suite 2000 discs and COA, as well as some Gateway recovery CDs, a STYX greatest hits CD, and a Shaq rap CD (>_> did not know that was in there). I just grabbed the case and got a random selection of about 15 CDs for $0.50 each, but the recovery CDs and the Office CDs pay for the lot. Not pictured is Eternal Champions, Incredible Hulk, Resident Evil Director's Cut, and Final Fantasy VIII missing one disc. Again, all the CDs and games were 50 cents each so no biggie.

That Little Feat CD is autographed . Never heard of the band, but it's nice to have stuff like that.

I got a few other electronics items to sell on eBay, but nothing extremely valuable. Not to be racist at all but there were like 20 Mexicans, myself and my dad at this sale and it was a madhouse. Those people always buy up the good stuff and swarm on everything at these sales. Heck, on tuesday I saw an old Mexican guy walking off with a very expensive Ion DJ's mixing table. I have no idea where they're all taking this stuff. I never see it at the local flea market. (Again, not trying to be racist, but the area of Waco that this Goodwill is located in is called "Little Mexico" because of it's large hispanic population.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Yes, it's that Goodwill.
    Most of the stuff in the back is broken, leftover from other Goodwills, or untested (they're unable to test it).

Speaking of which:

All of this came from the dock sale at $0.50 each. The green folder has all 7 Microsoft Office Suite 2000 discs and COA, as well as some Gateway recovery CDs, a STYX greatest hits CD, and a Shaq rap CD (>_> did not know that was in there). I just grabbed the case and got a random selection of about 15 CDs for $0.50 each, but the recovery CDs and the Office CDs pay for the lot. Not pictured is Eternal Champions, Incredible Hulk, Resident Evil Director's Cut, and Final Fantasy VIII missing one disc. Again, all the CDs and games were 50 cents each so no biggie.

That Little Feat CD is autographed . Never heard of the band, but it's nice to have stuff like that.

I got a few other electronics items to sell on eBay, but nothing extremely valuable. Not to be racist at all but there were like 20 Mexicans, myself and my dad at this sale and it was a madhouse. Those people always buy up the good stuff and swarm on everything at these sales. Heck, on tuesday I saw an old Mexican guy walking off with a very expensive Ion DJ's mixing table. I have no idea where they're all taking this stuff. I never see it at the local flea market. (Again, not trying to be racist, but the area of Waco that this Goodwill is located in is called "Little Mexico" because of it's large hispanic population.
    if I recall from what kitsune mentioned, they take it across the border to sell at a massive proffit.