Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: So who picked up the psp Go today? Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Sony needs to change their sales slogan for PSP/PS3 to

Playstation : You can't please all of the people, all of the time.
    Perhaps but shouldn't every video game platform maker use that as their slogan?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Apparently, too many people will prefer to buy the PS3 over the PSP for its price .... it's strange that one of the first thoughts when you see the price of the PSP Go is :

"no way i'm paying 249 usd if the ps3 costs 299 usd"

The PSP Go is not made for me ... i love gaming, but opening a brand new game is like a sacred ritual to me; collecting doesn't help either :/
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Perhaps but shouldn't every video game platform maker use that as their slogan?
    Yes. That too.

Video Games : failing to please everybody since 1971
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

I'm still WICKEDLY amused by the near violent fervor that the Go has whipped the "hardcore" community into.

I'm fully expecting to see bricks hurled through store windows and some type of offensive burning effigy on the lawn of SCEA by the end of the week.
    I agree about the hate. But man, that would be so awesome!
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    $250 for a portable? Hello Turboexpress. Actually, it's like the Turboexpress.
    Dude, don't compare it to the turboexpress. I'll have to buy it. I LOVE the turboexpress!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

5 years ago people were certain and I mean absolutely, positively certain that the PSP would not make it in the market at its original launch price, with its launch & 1st year lineup and on store shelves alongside the DS long-term.

Lots of people were wrong then, and they MIGHT be wrong now about the long term success of this (myself included since I'm gauging the market reaction in my estimation that it might not succeed)
    People were wrong only insofar as not realizing a) Sony has deep pockets; b) they would actually fix their many many mistakes over time. What has caused most other contenders who've entered into the handheld market and tried to compete against Nintendo to fail is that they just don't have the cash flow to hold on long enough and take a beating long enough to succeed. Only Sega came anywhere close but both of their handhelds had a large share of problems that were never addressed let alone fixed. The early PSP could be used as a weapon if you sharpened the UMD case since it could shoot them out across the room. Not to mention most of the early games were underwhelming. The early PSPs felt flimsy, and yet were fairly expensive. It took awhile for Sony to correct these things, but most of them WERE corrected. And of course, once people figured out how to run emulators on the PSP, the system took off. While the PSP has many great games, they can't and don't compete with the DS on that level. And that's fine given the state of emulation on the PSP.

This is why the critics who said the PSP wouldn't last were "wrong." Their criticisms were all right on the money, it was the predictions of failure that weren't. Once people crack the Go and figure out fun and illegal things to do with it, AND the price drops about a hundred bucks, it'll sell a lot more units. I don't think it's ever going to be a financial success for Sony (thank god, since this is one big experiment in digital distribution which, if successful, could spell the end of next gen gamer for most of us collectors since there won't be anything to collect), but the system itself will at least be a decent seller.

But that's just yet another prediction. It all comes down to what Sony does.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only thing I'm curious about is how Sony is going to handle the inevitable hacking of this thing. I ask because it's somewhat different than the original PSP. Even if somebody hacks a PSP they still might want to actually go out and buy a game once in a while and a PSP with pirated games on it is not the same as a PSP with a library of actual UMDs.

But a PSP Go with a whole bunch of pirated stuff on it might not look all that different from a PSP Go with legitimately purchased stuff on it. So if Sony was hurting because people were buying the original, hacking it, and not buying much after that, I fear this new machine might make that sting even worse because now the pirates are getting quite literally exactly what the paying customers are.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Has anyone seen a store demo of this anywhere yet? I'd really like to get my hands on it before I buy one. Also they told me in Gamestop that it doesn't come with the proprietary USB cable....I didn't want to insult the guy's intelligence by asking to look at the box, but I'd be really surprised if this were true. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perhaps my memory is b0rken, I'm too much of a Nintendo fanboy, or my mind has been warped by the Internet, but I remember a lot of buzz about how great the PSP was compared to the DS at E3 05. Nintendo was still the kiddy console and most people though the DS was a terrible idea. I remember EGM, or it may have been gamepro, going so far as to call it the Virtual Boy 2 in a sort of editorial. The PSP looked to be the more advanced system, and many people though the Playstation brand would help it sell. Though to be fair I do remember people saying Nintendo knows their handhelds.

Now off that topic, I'm not really interested in the PSP Go and can't see it going to far. Sony probably did release it at a good time since it will have time to settle into the market place for the holiday season, but it is unlikely to sell it to the mass market. Then again, I remember Sony saying the PSP Go was more for the tech geek than the casual consumer. If that is there market perhaps they will corner it easily.

I'm only an amateur analyst who can make statements on the Internet, but I see the PSP Go as a bit of a testing the waters for how well a system solely reliant on digital distribution will go. Which, reminds me a bit of Nintendo and how they played it safe with the Nintendo DS. If the PSP Go and its online market place does well, we'll probably see the PSP 3000 phased out. Otherwise the opposite memory and the PSP Go will sit in portable Hell right next to its many other inhabitants.
    I have a sig?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

(comment retracted)
    Last edited by Kid Ice; 10-02-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    People were wrong only insofar as not realizing a) Sony has deep pockets; b) they would actually fix their many many mistakes over time. What has caused most other contenders who've entered into the handheld market and tried to compete against Nintendo to fail is that they just don't have the cash flow to hold on long enough and take a beating long enough to succeed. Only Sega came anywhere close but both of their handhelds had a large share of problems that were never addressed let alone fixed. The early PSP could be used as a weapon if you sharpened the UMD case since it could shoot them out across the room. Not to mention most of the early games were underwhelming. The early PSPs felt flimsy, and yet were fairly expensive. It took awhile for Sony to correct these things, but most of them WERE corrected. And of course, once people figured out how to run emulators on the PSP, the system took off. While the PSP has many great games, they can't and don't compete with the DS on that level. And that's fine given the state of emulation on the PSP.

This is why the critics who said the PSP wouldn't last were "wrong." Their criticisms were all right on the money, it was the predictions of failure that weren't. Once people crack the Go and figure out fun and illegal things to do with it, AND the price drops about a hundred bucks, it'll sell a lot more units. I don't think it's ever going to be a financial success for Sony (thank god, since this is one big experiment in digital distribution which, if successful, could spell the end of next gen gamer for most of us collectors since there won't be anything to collect), but the system itself will at least be a decent seller.

But that's just yet another prediction. It all comes down to what Sony does.
    Criticisms are almost always relative.

Derisions like "costs too much", "not enough games", "long load times", "short battery life", "too much shovelware", "too many games for kids", "too much emphasis on graphics", "too many ports", "not powerful enough hardware", and so on and so forth, are generally opinion based and have varying degrees of meaning/importance depending on the user.

The gaming community is so spoiled in this generation of portable systems by truly fantastic hardware and software from both Nintendo and Sony that they seem to hunger for reasons to dislike things.

If you think about all the genuine shortcomings of handheld gaming in the past and look and how far we've really come, and how great we have it it's really pretty baffling.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0) ShinGundam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly I could care less that it's being produced, like I said, I'm simply amused by the reaction it's causing.
    Yeah It kinda ironic that we barely hear any negative reaction to DSi which is much
    worse than psp go for reasons like DSiWare Games Can't Be Transferred
    and DS games with DSi enhanced features and DSi games both are region locked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damiean Dark View Post
    Sony are never going to learn that a a GAMES CONSOLE needs GAMES for it to be really successful. Forget the PSP many other features i want great games this is why the DS is stomping it into the ground with its mix of hardcore gaming and more leisure games.

I may well pick up a first generation cheap PSP someday but no way am i paying through the nose for the Go.
    This is such a huge misconception some people have about the PSP. It has a whole shit load of great games both in UMD format and downloads. I think one of the reasons why people still think the PSP doesn't have many great games is because Sony hasn't promoted and marketed the system and its games very well over the last few years. I hardly see any ads on TV for the PSP and never really have. They need to do a better job in this department.

I think judging from the about of shit Sony is already taking, and has already taken with the PSPgo, they should really re-think their strategy with the go. First knock off $50 at least, these PSP minis should be 99 cents to $5 at the very most if they want to compete with Apple and iTunes, digital copies of UMD games like Resistance shouldn't be $30-40 more like $10-20, and Sony needs to get this UMD conversion program into full swing and stop feeding us shit about legal issues when it just comes down to sheer greed on their part. I'm sure there are some legal issues that need to ironed out, but making the program somewhat available in one territory and not others is messed up.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 10-02-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The gaming community is so spoiled in this generation of portable systems by truly fantastic hardware and software from both Nintendo and Sony that they seem to hunger for reasons to dislike things.

If you think about all the genuine shortcomings of handheld gaming in the past and look and how far we've really come, and how great we have it it's really pretty baffling.
    Maybe we ARE spoiled, but it's only because that which has preceded the two current handhelds (DSi and PSP Go) is in so many ways superior. Both the GBA and the DS are amazing handhelds and I'd say that the PSP has really had tough competition, yet has mostly succeeded at competiting. It's truly a different handheld with a completely different feel to it and its games. These are the pinnacles of handheld gaming. It's why the decisions for both the DSi and the PSP Go seem so stupid, and why they look so unattractive to hardcore gamers/collectors.

To answer the question of why there hasn't been more backlash topics against the DSi... it's always seemed like more of a thing that we could simply ignore and not buy. Yeah, the region locking of games, and removal of GBA slot are both horrible decisions, and I have in fact seen topics lamenting these decisions. Yet I never got the feeling like Nintendo was "testing the waters" for more things to come. Most systems ARE region-locked, for instance, and most of us knew that eventually a Nintendo handheld wouldn't be GBA compatible (given that the DS isn't GB/GBC compatible, it's no real surprise they removed GBA compatibility except that they didn't wait for the next iteration to do it in). The big problem w/ the PSP Go is that we all, I think, know that at some point console makers are going to want to go download only with their games. So this becomes a line drawn in the sand, basically. If this even enjoys a modicum of success, we're going to see a nightmare of next gen consoles w/ DLC only. That's the big fear. I guess tho that for me any it won't matter too much. I'm losing interest in the current gen every day and have been contemplating getting rid of the Wii and 360 for awhile now. The games just don't appeal to me. So maybe it'll be a good thing if/when all games are download only. I won't be compelled to buy them anymore.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Perhaps the topic title should be changed to "who is not picking up the PSPgo?"

hmmm there are several threads below about games I don't plan on buying, perhaps I'll check into those and tell everyone how I am not buying them.
    The OP wanted to know who was not buying it also and for what reasons...

Sony's last great product idea was nine+ years ago... It's time for them to get their shit together. The difference between the Nintendo and Sony in the back field slump talks is just how could Sony go software only? Oh noes! Sony Imagesoft!

I'm in the "No way in hell" camp. Sure, I traded in old DS units when they were getting huge trade bonuses in for a DSi and got it for practically nothing. The DSi also added features. And more features than it subtracted (GBA slot)... Since I payed ~$25 out of pocket for my DSi, I'll gladly buy a PSPGo for ~$50. But in reality, my 2000 does everything the Go can do, so it would just be more for the "what the hell" factor than anything else. Of the current consoles, two of three are cheaper than a handheld? I'm sorry, the Go is just ludicrus.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-02-2009 at 01:13 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    The DSi also added features, not subtracted...
    Oh, come on now. Your memory must be playing tricks on you.

It added AND subtracted. Remember that GBA/Rumble Pack slot on the DS/DS Lite?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What you get from DS/Lite to DSi
    Removal of GBA slot... and added features;
    Bigger Screens
    SD Media slot
    A bit of internal storage (IDK how much, I have so many SD cards, first thing in was a 4GB SD)
    Cameras (up to this point worthless really)
    DSiWare and built in browser
    Upgraded architecture and RAM

VS

What you get from PSP to PSPGo
    8 or 16GB? internal storage... Now comes the butcher;
    Removal of UMD drive
    Smaller screen
    Battery?

Yeah, my memory is the faulty part of this.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-02-2009 at 01:51 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Defender?

I've stated numerous times that I don't personally think that the device will be a success.

Don't mistake the fact that I'm not personally insulted by its production/existence and/or vehemently bemoaning it's market presence at every turn as PURE defense for the system or Sony's development decisions ... the Go is certainly a strange device, but I'm not met with any other gut reaction than acceptance when I look at it all on paper.

Honestly I could care less that it's being produced, like I said, I'm simply amused by the reaction it's causing.

Those who know me should know that I'm very even keel about any new tech/hardware from any company and that I don't buy into "predictions of doom" out of the gate.

5 years ago people were certain and I mean absolutely, positively certain that the PSP would not make it in the market at its original launch price, with its launch & 1st year lineup and on store shelves alongside the DS long-term.

Lots of people were wrong then, and they MIGHT be wrong now about the long term success of this (myself included since I'm gauging the market reaction in my estimation that it might not succeed)

Yeah, it doesn't feature a UMD drive - but the 3000 does, and the 3000 will continue to be produced along with UMDs. This isn't supplanting the current model PSP it's just another choice that consumers can make. It's OBVIOUSLY not the choice for everybody, and not one for media-loving collectors ... but it's a choice nonetheless, why fault more choices for ANY reason?

I'm game collector who digs physical media, but I'm also a futurist who likes ergonomics and convenience.

While I'm not embracing the Go for my personal collection at the moment, I see absolutely no problem with it, it's there, I think it's obviously an experiment and whatever it winds up doing at retail I completely fail to see the logic in all the Go-hate.
    I think most people are just worried that if it does really well, they might try to make newer systems be download only after this. So they want it shot down so that doesn't happen in the future. It has nothing to do with PSP games themselves.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Removal of GBA slot... and added features
    Bigger Screens
    SD Media slot
    Cameras (up to this point worthless really)
    DSiWare and built in browser
    Upgraded architecture and RAM

VS

Removal of UMD drive
    Smaller screen
    Battery?

Yeah, my memory is the faulty part of this.
    Mmmm, yeah, not looking for hardware comparisons or debates as to whether the DSi or PSP Go are better/worse than each other ...

My observation was only that denying (or making statements which elude to the fact) that the DSi didn't "subtract" anything from its design vs. the DS Lite, well ... is pretty silly.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-02-2009 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kept it objective and in family; 1/2/3000 vs Go and DS/Lite vs DSi. Direct comparisons of the DSi and Go? Not what I do nor was it my intention. Only comparing the gains/losses of upgrading.

Ok, I understand. But it's only equal if the DSi dropped both slots... Gutting a BC enabling slot is a whole different case than gutting the primary media altogether. Slot-2 removal is really inconsequential in this case since the PSP had no physical media to BC, but I'll change the posts to match and clear all that up. Sometimes what's going on in my head doesn't quite make it to the keyboard.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-02-2009 at 01:54 AM.