Thread: Are you a Point & Click Adventure game fan?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Grim Fandango is most definitely one of the finest games I have ever played.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I used to be a fan of these but some of them seemed to digress to just making the player click on everything on screen until you "found" things. Combined with inferior graphics of yesteryear, and you could end up with some pretty frustrating experiences. I haven't heard of many of the newer games listed in this thread, so maybe I'll download some of them and check them out.

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the carmen sandiego games, and I played a lot of the Humongous Entertainment games in my youth. I have recently gotten Aura: Fate of the Ages and the sequel, The Sacred Rings. Haven't beaten either, but the first is good so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I love them. I don't play them constantly, as I know this will cause me to slowly despise them, but when I do play them, I love every minute.

I vividly remember playing both Broken Swords, Icom games, King's Field...pure awesomeness.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Snatcher is the only point and click game I ever started to get into. I still haven't finished it yet but this thread was a nice reminder for me.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Are there any on A8?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i love 90s P&C games. mainly the lucasarts and sierra stuff and other P&C with humor. i have come here to tell everyone to play Simon the Sorcere I & II. II being my favorite. they are uk games made with the SCUMM engine. they are colorful, smart and hilarious. by far the best non-lucasarts, lucasarts-style games.
    Last edited by Poofta!; 10-14-2009 at 01:53 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lewton,

If you are going to play the Tex Murphy games you may want to start with the game that started it all...One of my favorites (mainly for nostalgia sake) was Mean Streets by Access. It had that quasi RealSound digitized music and sound which blew me away after being conditioned and accustomed to the beeps and blips before sound cards. I don't think I ever finished it, but got to the very end only to learn I had missed something somewhere along the way as I never used any guides or cheats.

Following that in the series was Martian Memorandum. (these were more traditional third person P&C more than FMV as the later titles became). But you probably already knew this based on the vast number of resources and knowledge you have demonstrated.

Anyway, early Sierra games and these Access games is what started it all for me...well other than text adventures, but then I would be dating myself a bit too much.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Hi DD (say if that's not okay ........ easier to type though ),

Everyone I've 'spoken' to says that Mean Streets is the best of the two earliest ones, but does that mean that Martian Memorandum is poor, or just not quite as good? Out of the last three, most people seem to say that The Pandora Directive is the best. I'll definitely start with the earliest though. Old graphics don't affect my enjoyment one jot. It's the story, atmosphere, puzzles and music that draw me in. In fact, many modern graphic adventures are heavy on awesome graphics, but hollow on atmosphere and story. There are exceptions though. Thanks for the tip concerning Mean Streets.

Playing text adventures doesn't date you at all. I haven't played many earlier 'classics', including most of the Infocoms, but I enjoy, these days, digging through the Interactive Fiction Competition entries of the last 15 years. Do you know of them? All are free.

My number one favourite has to be one called Anchorhead, by a chap called Michael Gentry. To play the games it's necessary to download Interpreters, as their called. Some of these IF adventures are really, really good.

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lewton View Post
    Hi DD (say if that's not okay ........ easier to type though ),

Everyone I've 'spoken' to says that Mean Streets is the best of the two earliest ones, but does that mean that Martian Memorandum is poor, or just not quite as good? Out of the last three, most people seem to say that The Pandora Directive is the best. I'll definitely start with the earliest though. Old graphics don't affect my enjoyment one jot. It's the story, atmosphere, puzzles and music that draw me in. In fact, many modern graphic adventures are heavy on awesome graphics, but hollow on atmosphere and story. There are exceptions though. Thanks for the tip concerning Mean Streets.

Playing text adventures doesn't date you at all. I haven't played many earlier 'classics', including most of the Infocoms, but I enjoy, these days, digging through the Interactive Fiction Competition entries of the last 15 years. Do you know of them? All are free.

My number one favourite has to be one called Anchorhead, by a chap called Michael Gentry. To play the games it's necessary to download Interpreters, as their called. Some of these IF adventures are really, really good.
    DD is fine (actually there could have been some type of Freudian meaning behind my name and initials...but I'm not saying for sure...)

Again alot of it is nostalgia and the fact that when I originally played it, it featured the most advanced graphics and sound of its time, but Mean Streets overall seemed to have a better story and plotline. I also remember Martian Memorandum being much easier (finished it and pretty quickly) versus Mean Streets where I somehow could not locate one of the passcards.

Funny to see many have finished this in the 10-15 hour range. Seems to have taken me about 30-40 hours. Maybe due to my inexperience and it being one of my first. Martian Memorandum I believe was much more linear and did not require much backtracking like Mean Streets and the immersion with the other chracters was not as great. Was not as much fun to experiment with different responses, reactions or interactions by clicking on everything. I call this the Zelda technique (burning every tree down just to see if something is there). Some games immerse you enough to stick around and experiment, where others you just plod your way through with tunnel vision. Again this may have been just due to the unique and groundbreaking experience of the original.

Martian Memorandum was good, but like many sequels missed slightly to recapture or re-invent the charm of the original.

I equally enjoyed all of the later games in the series and could not say one versus the other was my favorite...although Overseer has the best production and story but the puzzles just seemed to get recycled from one game to the next.

For some reason other games randomly popped into my head while reminiscing...Amazon: Guardians of Eden, Rex Nebular, Orion Conspiracy (not so great), Mission Critical (excellent), and all the Legend Spellcasting and Timequest games...oh, the memories. Gotta go back and see which ones I finished...

Thanks for the tip on IFC (doesn't ring a bell) and Anchorhead (I think I've heard of this one). I played many of the Infocom ones. I think the independent and vintage text ones will be my next area of focus.