Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The definitive Twilight Princess Wii vs. Gamecube thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up The definitive Twilight Princess Wii vs. Gamecube thread

I had trouble finding concrete, neutral impressions on which of the two versions is best. Most "reviews" just assume the Wii version is the best. Most reviews barely compare the two since the reviewer had already been playing the Wii version for months before the cube version hit stores.

I have recently spent some time between the two versions. I have primarily played the Wii version. Here are my impressions. I will speak of it in terms of the Wii version compared to the Gamecube version, instead of giving pros and cons of each.

The first thing I noticed was that the image quality seemed worse than the Gamecube version. This is likely due to the anamorphic widescreen. What this means is that the same 480 lines of resolution are changed into non-square pixels and spread across a greater area. Many games suffer some loss in image quality due to this (a great example is Super Paper Mario). I do admit that the widescreen is nice. It should be mentioned that the meat of the gameplay and menus are still constrained to a 4:3 area, so the extra viewable area on the sides is just icing on the cake.

The flipped world didn't bother me at all. It was insanely confusing when I first switched to the Gamecube version, but I got used to it. I haven't played Ocarnia of Time since it was first released on the N64, so I can't comment on how annoyed a long-time fan of that game would be with the flipped world.

What about the waggle? To be honest, after playing Wii Sports Resort, all waggle feels pointless, but this game takes it to the extreme. Every attack is just waggling the control while hitting different buttons. Want to slash? Waggle. Jump and slash? Waggle while holding A. Spin attack? Waggle the nunchuck. The controls do not feel intuitive at all. I found myself constantly using Z-targeting, which is exactly how you resolve combat on the Gamecube. So the Wii controls were actually a hinderance for me in normal combat. I have to admit that ranged attacks felt much more natural, however again, I found myself using Z-targeting anyway, so the benefits were small.

I think the ideal controller setup for this game would be the same as Super Mario Galaxy. SMG has waggle, but it is only for the spin attack. This would have worked great here. Use the normal buttons for combat and waggle for spin attack.

I am all for games using motion controls and the nunchuck combo. I am the guy with 100% wheel use in Mario Kart. I am the guy who strictly uses the motion controls in Punch Out. The motion controls in Twilight Princess, other than the ranged targeting, are pointless. I am greatly anticipating the next Zelda game for the Wii, which will hopefully have Wii Motion Plus support, but even without it, I assume the motion controls will be much more developed than they are here.

One last thing that many people would never notice. The load times in the Gamecube version are slightly shorter. When traveling to a new area or going in a building, the already short wait time is about 1/3 less on the cube.

My decision: Gamecube. The two major Wii bullet points, widescreen and motion controls, ended up being a minor addition and an inconvenience, respectively.

I am interested in others' opinions and experiences.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

The Gamecube version also has a free camera controlled with the C-Stick, which is a major plus in my book.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

All I can say is I watched my friend play it on Wii and it looked terrible on his widescreen, so I can concur that is indeed true and a drawback to that version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You're correct about the graphics. Switch it to 4:3 at 480p and it looks identical to the GameCube version at 480p.

It's ashame the GameCube version didn't have a widescreen mode, since that's the only thing the Wii version has going for it over that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Don't forget that a game as polished as ZELDA takes years to fully implement in a game system so it's normal that if NINTENDO rushed the team to implement a Wii version, the game will not be as perfect as any ZELDA.

My vote is for the GAMECUBE version, the game is incredible and it plays better on the CUBE. But the difference is not abismal, both games are incredible and if you have a Wii, you would want to play it too.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't mind the "waggle", but I really didn't like the whole mirroring the world to make Link right-handed thing. I really would have preferred he remain left-handed, or at least be given the option. I also can't fathom why they mirrored the entire game instead of just altering the character model. I'm not bothered by the flipped world itself, but just the fact that they did it irks me a bit. Some other Wii games give you the option of left- or right-handed controls, so why can't such a flapship first-party game have it?

The only reason I got the Wii version was because I got a Wii at launch, and there was some sort of deal on it at the time. I'd have gladly gotten rid of it in favor of the Gamecube version, but I never found the latter for a reduced price anywhere.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think it was something about collision detection. If they just flipped Link then he wouldn't have made proper contact with the enemies or something like that. It was still a dumb idea anyway, though. It's not like the wiimote controls were so accurate that it would have been disorienting to control a left handed Link. They weren't even accurate at all. Swinging the damn thing was just a replacement for pushing the A button.

What I think is that they had an ulterior motive for hitting the "flip horizontal" button beyond just the fact that most people are right handed. They probably did it to add some other difference to the Wii version. Otherwise the Gamecube version would have been obsolete before it even came out. That's most assuredly the reason why they didn't add Gamecube controller support to the Wii version, too.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say you can't go wrong having both versions. They're mirrored as far as the world is presented and the control variations make them unique to one another even though they are practically the same game.

I bought my copy of Z:TP with my Wii in Feb 2007. I'll pick up the Cube version when I can find a complete copy for a little less than I'm finding them priced at now. ~$20 is what I figure. It's worth more, granted, but the probability of scooping one up at that price is not yet outside of possible.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qianwen View Post
    I like play it
    I like to kill it with fire.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One, the GC version was delayed a year for the Wii launch.

Two, the GC version has a left-handed link.

Three, the GC version never caused a Wiimote to be flung at a TV.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarco View Post
    One, the GC version was delayed a year for the Wii launch.

Two, the GC version has a left-handed link.

Three, the GC version never caused a Wiimote to be flung at a TV.
    Never heard that anyone lost control of their wiimote cause of zelda... and tbh if they do I think that's a point in the favor of the wii version, they probably deserved it :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Swinging the damn thing was just a replacement for pushing the A button.
    this killed the game for me. I was expecting it to be 1:1 realtime sword battles and bow pointing. Once I realized how truly limited the wiimote was, I couldn't be bothered continuing in the game.

I'm only a few hours into it. I've never turned it back on. If I ever do play it again, I'll play the cube version, since I've got both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    I like to kill it with fire.
    Well, Error, good luck with that fire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what the big deal is about the waggle to sword swing thing... You can use the A button on the wii remote still. It's more, not less. It's still satisfying at times, for me anyway, to take a final "swing" to kill an annoying enemy. Just has a certain feel to it that a thumb press can not replicate.

Have you ever fist pumped a "Yes!" or raised a fist to the air after finishing something that was giving you hell before? Well, I see it similar to that. I also do not blame or deride games for not having a 'fist pump' or 'victory dance' button.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, the waggle is actually less involving than a button press.

When you press a button, you are doing just that, pressing a button. There is no pretense that you are doing anything other than pressing a button to make your avatar on screen do something. It feels accurate, precise, and our thumb is directly connected to the actions of Link's sword.

When I waggle, it creates a sense of flawed realism. While I am physically swinging something, it does not translate into the same movements on screen. Instead of pressing a button on the outside of the controller, I am swinging the controller to trigger an invisible button on the inside. It does nothing but create the sensation of delayed reaction and disconnect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't mind "waggle" at all. I don't know why anyone would have expected a swing of the Wiimote to translate to a swing on screen with the exact same angle, position, speed, etc. It was pretty clear from all the pre-launch information on the Wii/Revolution that its controller was fairly rudimentary technology, and that controller flicks would just be substitute button presses. Which I don't think is necessarily bad -- I liked Red Steel's control scheme (in FPS mode), which included flicking the nunchuk to reload. It can be a bit easier to get the hang of a game's controls when it involves two buttons and a flick in place of three buttons. However, it may not be the best for Zelda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cube version wins out. I just really liked the way that the game felt compared to the Wii version. The gameplay aeems much stronger with the control pad also. Just my opinion though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been toying with motion input for quite a while now. Pre-Wii, mostly with midi-controls and built-in synth controls/functions... Then you have stuff like a Theremin. It's all perspective, I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The waggle in the Wii version was exciting at first but after a while it just became dull. Also with some of the more precision attacks, the wii-mote would sometimes misread my movements and I couldn't pull off the maneuver. That got frustrating. I finished the game but my view on motion control got a bit sullied.

I recently picked up the Cube version from a garage sale for $10 but haven't had a chance to play it.

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    For me, the waggle is actually less involving than a button press.

When you press a button, you are doing just that, pressing a button. There is no pretense that you are doing anything other than pressing a button to make your avatar on screen do something. It feels accurate, precise, and our thumb is directly connected to the actions of Link's sword.

When I waggle, it creates a sense of flawed realism. While I am physically swinging something, it does not translate into the same movements on screen. Instead of pressing a button on the outside of the controller, I am swinging the controller to trigger an invisible button on the inside. It does nothing but create the sensation of delayed reaction and disconnect.
    My thoughts exactly. I played Twilight Princess after coming home with a Wii on launch night... finished the first dungeon, and was done. As far as I was concerned, the waggle motions were best suited for Wii Sports and not much else. So I waited for the Cube version, bought it, played it through to the end, and loved every bit of it. Playing with the Cube controller felt normal, it felt responsive, and I felt much more connected to Link... like I was actually making him do the things I saw him doing on screen. I just never got those connections with the Wii version. That's why I'm a little worried about how the new Wii Zelda is gonna turn out. Unless the motion controls really are spot-on 1-to-1, I may very well pass.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."