Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Brutal (Legend) Thread!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Brutal (Legend) Thread!

Is no one else playing this? I managed to score a copy early on Friday...was waiting till release day to talk about it. I gotta say....this game is fun as hell! I'd love to hear other people's thoughts and impressions!

I'm at about 80% complete right now on Brutal difficulty, and have around 20 hours into it.

scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

wow, glad to hear it's got good playtime. i loved the demo despite hating jack black, picked it up with uncharted 2 today but have to finish ninja gaiden sigma 2 before i play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

First thing's first: they did an excellent job with the soundtrack. Omen, Brocas Helm, Angel Witch, and Slough Feg (among numerous others)? Someone did their research and didn't just pick the same tired tracks Guitar Hero and its ilk roll out as "metal".

That said, I wasn't terribly impressed with the demo, but picked the game up anyway as part of the TRU Buy 2 Get 1 sale this week (alongside Uncharted 2 and Batman). I too hate Jack Black, but this may be the most tolerable thing he's done since Orange County (and Mr. Show before that). I think they've got some great aesthetics going, but I'm not sold on the gameplay. Of course, I've been busy with Demon's Souls, so my copy's still sitting on the shelf sealed. Hopefully the full game will be better than my impressions of the demo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's even better than the demo IMO. I've been quite impressed so far. The music is quite good as well. I've already bought some of the CDs of the bands they featured that I'd never heard before....especially liked Angel Witch, Iced Earth, and 3 Inches of Blood.

One of the neat things is if you go into the custom track selections in-game, it actually specifies what KIND of metal every particular song/band is as well....a nice mini-reference for the uninitiated.

On top of the music, the story is fun, the gameplay is fun (not AS enamoured with the RTS parts) and the game has a very high quality level throughout.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played my copy this evening and I couldn't stop playing. After playing the demo I was hyped about this game. The intro when you first play the game surprised me(with Jack in a music store).

The only parts of the game I didn't like are the repetitive side missions and I wasn't too crazy about the RTS portions of the game. I actually thought the RTS was in the multiplayer exculsively, before I got the game. Other than that it's been a stellar experience so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    It's even better than the demo IMO. I've been quite impressed so far. The music is quite good as well. I've already bought some of the CDs of the bands they featured that I'd never heard before....especially liked Angel Witch, Iced Earth, and 3 Inches of Blood.
    HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP!!! If Iced Earth is on the soundtrack then I am sold!

Does anyone know what song it is? Here is hoping it's one with Matt Barlow as vocalist. I thought Tim Owens sucked balls...

I am digging this trend of signing Metal artists onto games.

Blind Guardian in Sacred 2 and Iced Earth among countless others in Brutal Legend. Are there any other games on the horizon that are expected to have big metal soundtracks?
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picking up on friday at Toy R' Us with that buy 2 get 1 free sale. What version should I buy?....own both consoles so doesn't matter....want to get the 360 version but been lately buying more games for my PS3...only have 12 for it, got 132 for my 360.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got this yesterday as well and played it for about 2 hours or so. I am really liking it so far and the soundtrack is awesome as previously mentioned. This was the first game I actually preordered because I was so looking forward to it coming out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by videogameking26 View Post
    Picking up on friday at Toy R' Us with that buy 2 get 1 free sale. What version should I buy?....own both consoles so doesn't matter....want to get the 360 version but been lately buying more games for my PS3...only have 12 for it, got 132 for my 360.
    There were complaints about poor sound in the ps3 demo, but by all accounts that has been resolved with the full game. Go with whatever controller you prefer or whichever e-penis boosters you'd rather have (achievements/trophies).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After playing Uncharted 2 I cannot even play this game. Boring gameplay and horrible framerate.
    My System History in order of purchase: Coleco Vision - Master System - Genesis - Game Gear - Sega CD - 32X - Saturn - Nomad - PS1 - Dreamcast - PS2 - DS - PS3 (60GB) - PSP - 360.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

3 Inches of Blood - Deadly Sinners
    3 Inches of Blood - Destroy The Orcs
    Accept - Fast As A Shark
    Angel Witch - Angel Witch
    Anthrax - Metal Thrashing Mad
    Anvil - March of the Crabs
    Anvil - Tag Team
    Apostasy - Sulphur Injection
    Bishop of Hexen - A Serpentine Grave
    Bishop of Hexen - The Somber Grounds of Truth
    Black Sabbath - Children of the Grave
    Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe
    Black Sabbath - Never Say Die
    Brocas Helm - Cry of the Banshee
    Brocas Helm - Drink the Blood of the Priest
    Budgie - Breadfan
    Budgie - Zoom Club
    Candlemass - Witches
    Carcass - No Love Lost
    Cloven Hoof Nightstalker
    Children of Bodom - Angels Don't Kill
    Coroner - Skeleton on your Shoulder
    Cradle of Filth - Her Ghost in the Fog
    Crimson Glory - Queen of the Masquerade
    Dark Fortress - Insomnia
    Dark Tranquility - Cathode Ray Sunshine
    Deathstars - Blitzkrieg
    Def Leppard - Rock of Ages
    Dethklok - Mermaider
    Diamond Head - Am I Evil?
    Dimmu Borgir - Progenies of the Great Apocalypse
    Dokken - Mr. Scary
    Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames
    Emperor - Thus Spake The Nightspirit
    Enslaved - Frost
    Enslaved - Loke
    Firehouse - Overnight Sensation
    Girlschool - Bomber
    Iced Earth - When the Night Falls
    Iced Earth - Pure Evil
    In Flames - Goliaths Disarm Their Davids
    Judas Priest - Battle Hymn
    Judas Priest - The Hellion/Electric Eye
    Judas Priest - Leather Rebel
    Judas Priest - One Shot At Glory
    Judas Priest - Painkiller
    Kabbage Boy - Girlfriend
    KMFDM - Free Your Hate
    KMFDM - Rip The System
    King Diamond - Cremation
    King Diamond - Welcome Home
    Kiss - God of Thunder
    Lita Ford - Betrayal
    Marilyn Manson - Beautiful People
    Manowar - Die For Metal
    Manowar - The Dawn Of Battle
    Mastodon - Crack the Skye
    Mastodon - Oblivion Instrumental
    Megadeath - High Speed Dirt
    Megadeath - Tornado of Souls
    Metal Church - Metal Church
    Michael Schenker - Group Assault Attack
    Ministry - Stigmata
    Ministry - Thieves
    Mirrorthrone - So Frail
    Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood
    Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
    Motley Crue - Live Wire
    Motorhead - Back at the Funny Farm
    Motorhead - In the Black
    Motorhead - Marching Off to War
    Motorhead - We Are the Road Crew
    Nitro - Machine Gun Eddie
    Omen - The Axeman
    Ostrogoth - Queen of Desire
    Overkill - World of Hurt
    Ozzy Osbourne - Believer
    Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Crowley
    Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
    Prong - Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck
    Quiet Riot - The Wild and the Young
    Racer X - Technical Difficulties
    Racer X - Y.R.O.
    Ratt - Lay It Down
    Riot - Road Racin
    Riot - Narita
    Riot - Swords and Tequila
    Rob Zombie - Superbeast
    Rotting Christ - Ad Notics
    Running Wild - Riding the Storm
    Sanctuary - Battle Angels
    Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
    Saxon - Wheels of Steel
    Scorpions - Blackout
    Scorpions - Holiday
    Skeletonwitch - Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery
    Skid Row - Youth Gone Wild
    Slayer - Metal Storm/Face The Slayer
    Slough Feg - Warriors Dawn
    Static-X - Love Dump
    Tenacious D - Master Exploder
    Tenacious D - The Metal
    Testament - For The Glory Of
    Testament - More Than Meets The Eye
    Tvangeste - Birth of the Hero
    UFO - Rock Bottom
    Whitesnake - Still of the Night
    Wrath of Killenstein - Ignisis Dance

A lot of my old favs on that list. Glad I picked it up the day it came out, won't be playing till this weekend though. It's gonna be teh jawsum by the looks of that track list alone IMHO!

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

It's a Tim Schafer game. By which I mean the gameplay is acceptable, bordering on 'meh', but the writing, art design, and world are so well done that it doesn't matter.

So far, I love it, though nothing has topped "DECAPITATION!" for me yet. I'm about 25% through it.

As an aside, the opening FMV is fantastic. That may be my favorite moment in a game this year: definite High Fidelity flashbacks.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post

As an aside, the opening FMV is fantastic. That may be my favorite moment in a game this year: definite High Fidelity flashbacks.

For sure.

Also, to bad there isn't anything from the band Venom on this game, as I think all the other bases are covered. I bring that up because I was thinking of the song Manitou as I watched the opening cinematics.

A+ so far!

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Played the Demo..Liked it alot..

Pre ordered the game from GS..Got the Game on Release day..

Started Playing it ..

Love the Music..but I've grown board of the game already..Will play it here and there between other games.

Strawberry (Level 2) Dastardly Dylan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    D2ME
    PSN
    D2ME

Everyone on my friends list both online and IRL have this game, and they keep telling me how fantastic it is. I do wanna play this game for the music and for it looking so original.

The amazing thins is my friend got a message from Tim Schafer, the game creater and a genius to play with him, I signed on one night, my friend was in there, along with a few other people, and the man himself. It was fantastic.

The only thing that I disliked is the hype. Don't get me wrong, in order to sell you need to advertise yes, but the game was everywhere. Maybe it is because of Jack Black being the fool of the century.

Wii: 7782-6113-4774-2333
    Teh Pwn Shop! - YouTube - Twitter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did buy it for the PS3, yet to open it up yet as I been hooked to Uncharted 2.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

Finished the game last night and I will say this: I will NOT be playing this game on Brutal just for achievement points. The final RTS battle pissed me off too much.

The RTS battles are not fun, they slow the game's pace to a crawl, and they just are broken. You cannot play it like a real RTS, you cannot play it like an action game.

The fight after the final RTS battle was fun as hell. Why couldn't all the major battles been like that? Shouldn't the very last boss fight in the game be the hardest though? That was tons easier than beating Diviculous in the RTS fight -- that was just utterly frustrating.

The RTS battles are fine for multiplayer, but I feel they are seriously broken in the single player campaign.

Also of note in the department of dissapointments is the repetitiveness of the side missions.

The game is a big let down. I was not really pumped for this game like other people were, until I played the demo. So, now I am more dissapointed than I would have been had it not even had the demo.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just beat it today and I was overall very impressed.

Yes, the side missions are repetetive. But some of em are really fun so I didn't care.

Yes, the RTS feels almost tacked on and doesn't seem to flow quite right...I think it's because the computer seems to have an unfair advantage...like they get to build more units than they SHOULD be capable of with their resources or something. That being said...I played the whole game on Brutal and only got stuck on one RTS battle...and it wasn't the last one.

I thought the end battle was a joke too though....WAY too easy. In fact, for playing the WHOLE game on Brutal without trying other difficulties....I had almost no trouble at all finishing the game....only had a couple of spots that were more than mildly challenging. The game is QUITE easy.

Those points aside, it's DAMNED fun! The art style, the story, the whole atmosphere puts a grin on my face. And let's be honest...that's why we game! It's FUN! I ENJOYED the game. And I can't say that about a lot of games these days...most of em are just kinda tedious! I loved the music, I loved the loose, sloppy controls with physics based in some alternate universe, I loved almost everything about the game. It was just good. And that's what a game should be. Step back and just have fun!

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finished it two days ago. I'm currently finishing the side missions and exploring the world. I only wish the story didn't end so soon, because I would've been fine if it continued for another few hours. Let's hope the DLC remedies this.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I loved it.

I too picked it up on release day, and played through it like crazy for two days straight. After finishing the main story and unlocking 1/2 the Achievements, my opinion of the game is this: IT ROCKS. Brutal Legend delivers a solid open-world action game that blossoms into an RTS-like multiplayer. The entire single-player experience is very much a tutorial to bring you up to speed for multiplayer, but I haven't had much interest to play online. The parts of the game I really enjoyed were the humor, setting, and "cruising around kicking ass".

People have been complaining that the big battles are either too hard or too easy. Tim Shafer himself says "don't play it like an RTS and expect to win". I was having a really hard time with the final two battles until I picked up some tips from other players. My only complaints are that there is no offline multiplayer and the main story only lasts around 10 hours, but there's plenty of world to explore, achievements to unlock, and collection quests.

Comparing this game to Double Fine's last - Psychonauts, the tradition of witty dialog in a great conceptual setting continues. Both games are short adventures with great characters. This one just happens to have bonus multiplayer.