Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo DSi exclusive games

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Nintendo DSi exclusive games

Didn't take Nintendo long. We all knew it was going to happen though. DSi exclusive games that could most likely be played on the original DS and have nothing more than some sortof lock out coding or something.

Way to fuck over your loyal fanbase. Release the DSi and then start pushing games out as DSi only. Aside from the crap idea of the Wii and then when I started getting into the idea all the terrible games for it, along with Nintendo's usual cheap tactics like not continuing to support the GBA and GC as soon as their next gen consoles came out, or the N64 when the GC came out.

Atleast the PSP can play digital download games off the PSN like the PSP Go can. They're the same system. The DS actually has a card slot yet this DSi title won't play because it's the regular DS and not the DSi. But wait, they're the same system :O.

Last edited by kupomogli; 10-14-2009 at 03:42 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to give this a 7.6/10 on the PSP Go Defense Force scale. I took one point off because there are already DSi exclusive games (see dsi ware), and another one because you actually mentioned the PSP Go, and another because that game doesn't appear to be anything worth caring about. I gave you .6 points back because it's REWARDS DAY!! YaY.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by savageone View Post
    I'm going to give this a 7.6/10 on the PSP Go Defense Force scale. I took one point off because there are already DSi exclusive games (see dsi ware), and another one because you actually mentioned the PSP Go, and another because that game doesn't appear to be anything worth caring about. I gave you .6 points back because it's REWARDS DAY!! YaY.
    !!! Deer God that was funny as hell!

Thank you savageone. I seriously needed that! It's good to know that I can always count on DP to be there for me after a loooooong day at work.
    Last edited by Wraith Storm; 10-14-2009 at 04:04 AM.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Waiting...
    ...waiting...
    ...waiting...
    ...nope, I still don't care.

I'd say that I would wait for the hacked rom for this one, but the game looks totally uninteresting to me anyway. Even if they started releasing every DS game as DSi-only going forward, I still wouldn't care since there are so many great games on the DS that I haven't played yet.

Besides that, I really wouldn't walk the path of lauding Sony's BC policies given their recent history while demonizing Nintendo in that regard.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I fell over from the force of the epic win you just dropped onto us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahahahahahaha! So funny and so true!
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Well I'm not saying the game looks any good. It looks like ass atleast according to the front cover, but it's the first DSi exclusive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your thinly veiled Sony fanboy-ism is silly.

Really, this is like going in a hissy when the Game Boy Colour started getting games that didn't work on the original Game Boy. It is not only expected, but it is just plain business sense. Why not make a game that takes advantage of new features on a hardware that is not only selling well, but is outselling the competition (in this case, the PSP).
    Last edited by badinsults; 10-14-2009 at 11:11 AM.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    Why not make a game that takes advantage of new features on a hardware
    After you said this I looked the game up and it uses the camera. I didn't think of Nintendo's camera. I thought it would have been compatible with the original DS just locked out to sell more DSi systems(knowing Nintendo I could have been right.)

Btw. I like the DS. I don't see where PSP Go Defense Force comes in because I haven't bought the system and won't ever buy the system(while alot of the people here have.) DSi exclusives won't be playable with the DS and DS Lite, so if there's a game I happen to want to get on there that hardly uses the extra features, I won't be able to without throwing down another $170. I won't have to throw $250 on a Go just to play a PSN only game will I? Nope. I'll be able to play it on my PSP 2000 just fine.

And in order to just say it uses the camera, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo if they made a Mario game where you took a picture just to use as your characters profile. Or start requiring DS games to use the DSi features so they can start phasing the DS out and force people to purchase the DSi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    After you said this I looked the game up and it uses the camera. I didn't think of Nintendo's camera. I thought it would have been compatible with the original DS just locked out to sell more DSi systems(knowing Nintendo I could have been right.)
    I guess this is another case of talking shit before doing the adequate research on the thing you are talking about.

This seems to be a common problem with people on the INTERNET.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After you said this I looked the game up and it uses the camera. I didn't think of Nintendo's camera.
    Uh, you didn't? That's pretty much the sole thing that distinguishes the DSi (that a card-based game could use). If it doesn't use the camera, it's not a DSi game, unless I'm forgetting some other feature.

I thought it would have been compatible with the original DS just locked out to sell more DSi systems(knowing Nintendo I could have been right.)
    This isn't a Nintendo game. That doesn't make any sense. Alpha Unit has no stake in DSi sales.

And in order to just say it uses the camera, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo if they made a Mario game where you took a picture just to use as your characters profile. Or start requiring DS games to use the DSi features so they can start phasing the DS out and force people to purchase the DSi.
    There are already "DSi-enhanced" games that make use of the camera, but can still be played on a regular DS without that function. Anything like your hypothetical Mario game would be one of them. The only reason Monster Finder is DSi-exclusive is because it uses the camera as an integral part of the gameplay. There probably won't be very many such games.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You've got valid points on this, kupo, but the way you present your opinion, and then get super defensive when someone calls you out on bias, really hurts it.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    There are already "DSi-enhanced" games that make use of the camera, but can still be played on a regular DS without that function. Anything like your hypothetical Mario game would be one of them. The only reason Monster Finder is DSi-exclusive is because it uses the camera as an integral part of the gameplay. There probably won't be very many such games.
    Ironically this could have all been done on the ds as there is an add on camera cart that fits in the gba slot. The camera cartridge came in face training.

Funny how nintendo went to all that trouble of making a camera cartridge & then never used it for anything else.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be fair, the DSi has more RAM and upgraded architecture. So, if you code a game to run at the DSi upgraded limits, then you would need DSi hardware to run it.

Kupomogli, strikes again. Who would have thunk it? I thought you were getting better, you were just on vacation.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by importaku View Post
    Ironically this could have all been done on the ds as there is an add on camera cart that fits in the gba slot. The camera cartridge came in face training.

Funny how nintendo went to all that trouble of making a camera cartridge & then never used it for anything else.
    I totally forgot about that. However, to split hairs, it should be noted that the DSi has two cameras, and that's only one; also, that camera faces the opposite direction. I don't really know the precise details of exactly how Monster Finder works, but maybe it wouldn't have been feasible with the Face Training camera. Or maybe it would've required a lot of extra programming (to implement the camera feature in two separate ways) and it wouldn't have been worth it for such a minor game. Or maybe Nintendo never even released documentation for that camera -- something I find likely, considering no other games use it and given Nintendo's poor track record with things like these.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

Didn't take Nintendo long. We all knew it was going to happen though. DSi exclusive games that could most likely be played on the original DS and have nothing more than some sortof lock out coding or something.

Way to fuck over your loyal fanbase. Release the DSi and then start pushing games out as DSi only. Aside from the crap idea of the Wii and then when I started getting into the idea all the terrible games for it, along with Nintendo's usual cheap tactics like not continuing to support the GBA and GC as soon as their next gen consoles came out, or the N64 when the GC came out.

Atleast the PSP can play digital download games off the PSN like the PSP Go can. They're the same system. The DS actually has a card slot yet this DSi title won't play because it's the regular DS and not the DSi. But wait, they're the same system :O.
    Fanboy much?

You knew this would happen and yes region coding is stupid, especially on a handheld, where it has never been. However lame you deam it to be, Monster Finder is built to use the built-in cameras. You can't do that on a DS. There is a DSiWare game that uses the camera, too, though that one interests me a lot more than this one.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let's get this straight... Nintendo releases a new console and we are not expected to have any developers create games for it. Ok. Got it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, here's something cool. Korg DS-10 is getting an upgrade for DSi. The new release is aptly called, Korg DS-10 Plus. In a DSi you get the expanded version running, in a normal DS, it operates just like the past version of DS-10. The plus expansion doubles the insrtuments, polyphony and drum banks...

Well, so much for forced upgrade conspiracies huh? Unless, XSeed is fighting for us all, out of love!

FYI:
    normal DS - CPU - ARM9-67mhz RAM-4MB
    DSi - CPU - ARM9-133mhz RAM-16MB
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-15-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Ok, here's something cool. Korg DS-10 is getting an upgrade for DSi.
    So why exactly are we unable to have the extra instruments since its all on the cartridge? Not that I'd get the Korg game either, just wondering.

The only thing I'd suspect with this one is that the extra RAM would be used for realtime editing(because you'd be doing more at once.) So why not keep double instruments on either system and leave the realtime editing off the regular DS versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, that's not how (emulated) analog synthesizers work. You manipulate the waveform for each 'instrument' and patch the signal through different gates, oscillators, filters etc to generate the music. All this MS-10 hardware function has to be emulated in real time. This isn't like fruity loops or even Audacity, Acid/Vegas... where it's playing back recorded files and samples. It's generated through the emulated hardware.

The beefier CPU and RAM combo allow the DSi to do double. This also shows that some software can be combo packaged for both the DS and DSi off the same card while not just catering to the less potent hardware only.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-15-2009 at 01:47 PM.