Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post

Really?
    "I'M AS HAPPY AS A GIRL CAN BE... END STATEMENT!"

If these old PC's are just taking up space, give them to a thrift store or something like that.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    IF you are going to get a new system, watch out for dell.

I had a notebook
    It is rather ridiculous to base statements about a company's desktop systems on one's experiences with a notebook! Notebooks have to deal with considerably more punishment, and I would never purchase one with the expectation of it lasting more than two years (assuming I didn't just leave it in the same place forever).
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I put a bunch of old PC stuff out on Freecycle, I had three people show up. One came in a car that was already packed full of stuff, one had a pickup, already packed full of stuff, and the third was able to cram everything remaining into their truck. The first guy tried grabbing all the good stuff, but I made him pack all the 386's and Mac LCII's first, told him he could come back for the rest. Come to think of it, I never heard from him again...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Flack, if you must get rid of them keep an eye out for electronics recycling postings in the paper or news. I donated 3 monitors a few months back I found on the side of the road last year with water damage, but the IBM PC that was with them worked fine so it's still in my possession. But until then try to spend maybe a few minutes a month posting free pickup if someone can reply to the ad about an interesting project to utilize them. That way you know if someone does take them they will get good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    It is rather ridiculous to base statements about a company's desktop systems on one's experiences with a notebook! Notebooks have to deal with considerably more punishment, and I would never purchase one with the expectation of it lasting more than two years (assuming I didn't just leave it in the same place forever).
    I have a Compaq Armada 4220T laptop that was given to me almost 2 years ago and is still kicking. It use to have NetBSD installed on it with coding to operate some lighting curcuits for demonstrations. I didn't have plans like that, but as an Intel 386 system it's a wonderful on the go DOS gaming and old school dev machine. It has some cosmetic issues and the sound doesn't work. I've thrown some stickers on it like Dr. Manblood and HRGeeks to at least give it some more character from the observers standpoint. I had a few people comment on me playing Wolf3D on it in a lobby the other night on campus.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I reposted these on Craigslist and also offered them up for free on my blog. I took some pictures too and thought you guys might like to see them.

The top one's a 286/10. The bottom one is a 386/16.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Goodwill. Don't trash 'em. Goodwill goes by "Computer" so any working computer = tax deduction.

Better than throwing them out me thinks!
    #vbender

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would take but the shipping would be killer.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

God Damnit I'd take the bottom one if I could. T_T
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gokugohandave View Post
    i would take but the shipping would be killer.
    same here, at the very least i could use those disk drives and a AT PSU

Insert Coin (Level 0) dnehthend's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I feel kind of bad, a few years ago on new years eve my friends and I took hammers and axes to about 5 early to late 80s computers and boxes of parts and cards

I did keep one of the cases though, thing weighs a ton, it's starting to rust in the back yard, has an interesting look to it

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

did you ever find a home for them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Flack, look up 5.25" floppy drive prices on eBay.

With most of these you can just part them out as needed. A lot of the parts will be junk but some won't.

Unfortunately any pre-PS2 standard stuff should require some reworking (certainly of the back panel) to put in a modern PC case; junking the cases would be the biggest space savings otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    did you ever find a home for them?
    Goodwill called and said they would come by and pick them up. I put a bunch of clothes and books out along with two 21" monitors and the computers. When I came home the clothes and books were gone but the monitors and computers were still there along with a note that said they no longer pick up computer electronics.

The monitors went in the garage floor and the computers went in the trash. I actually did pull the floppy drives out for a different project (FC5025).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Goodwill called and said they would come by and pick them up. I put a bunch of clothes and books out along with two 21" monitors and the computers. When I came home the clothes and books were gone but the monitors and computers were still there along with a note that said they no longer pick up computer electronics.

The monitors went in the garage floor and the computers went in the trash. I actually did pull the floppy drives out for a different project (FC5025).

Dang, at least you kept the floppy drives. I've been working on a 386 build myself and many of the parts are somewhat hard to come by (RAM expansion, some ISA cards etc)
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dnehthend View Post
    I feel kind of bad, a few years ago on new years eve my friends and I took hammers and axes to about 5 early to late 80s computers and boxes of parts and cards

I did keep one of the cases though, thing weighs a ton, it's starting to rust in the back yard, has an interesting look to it
    WHAT!? HOW... YOU HAVE NO SOUL! Please tell me one of those weren't an Apple iici... Been looking for one of those for too long now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got an original 1984 Macintosh. It's got no keyboard or mouse, but works okay otherwise.

I'm not sure what to do with it. I was going to do mod it, make it current, add a 9 inch LCD to it. Any other ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I'm not sure what to do with it. I was going to do mod it, make it current, add a 9 inch LCD to it. Any other ideas?
    A current PC with a 9-inch screen seems kind of useless, at least if it's not portable - and I wouldn't call an old fat Mac portable.

Macquariums are kind of cool, though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacQuarium
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I just got an original 1984 Macintosh. It's got no keyboard or mouse, but works okay otherwise.

For the sake of history and old mac fags like me, don't fuck with a working original Mac. Just, don't do it. Put it somewhere for decoration, find some use for it, or pass it on to someone who will appreciate it. Toooo many of these are getting chopped up.

If you want to mess with a compact mac, find an SE or a Classic and use that. The classic has almost the same exact case, and the SEs are fucking hideous and deserve to get chopped up. If interested, PM me and I'll send you a list of resources on figuring out what to do with the machine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please do send me the links. I actually thought it would be neat to make it current and use it to run a Macintosh emulator. How funny would that be?

My concern about leaving it as-is is getting a keyboard and mouse for it. The mouse seems to be a 9 pin serial, so that shouldn't be hard. The keyboard, however, seems to use a modem jack?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    pass it on to someone who will appreciate it. Toooo many of these are getting chopped up.
    Maybe because there aren't that many people who will appreciate it?

The classic has almost the same exact case, and the SEs are fucking hideous and deserve to get chopped up.
    The SEs are actually vaguely, potentially useful.

If interested, PM me and I'll send you a list of resources on figuring out what to do with the machine.
    Why not just post it here for everyone?