Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IGNs Top 100 NES Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I like how they throw hidden gems in the list and then a bunch of average ones that are higher rated... Little Samson at #95, and Ring King at #78? Haha.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I can see LOZ and SMB3 getting props for the top spots but SMB at 3 doesn't work for me. That game is so overrated. Sure it was fun as hell back when we were kids but now it seems so uninspiring compared to SMB2 and SMB3. As for the TMNT arguement, I loved that game and would have definitly placed it in the top 20, if not the top 10.
    Super Mario Bros. is revolutionary. The Lost Levels is the one that's uninspiring.

Fester's Quest and Metal Gear I have some problems with. TMNT is eh, it's not horrible but I don't think it should be in the top 100.

And where's Ducktales 2? That game is better than the original, and the original was a fantastic game in it's own right.

I would have liked to have seen Double Dare in the top 100 if TMNT, Metal Gear and Fester's Quest made it in.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never believe in to those Top lists from some GAEMIGN WE85IT3Z. The problem is that they do not rate how they think, they rate how the game turned out to be (in terms of financial sucess or sometimes cult followings). So I'm not going to rant about this list, I just don't want to see it, as it is just another predictible list.

Btw. is Shatterhand on the list? If not then IGN should be ashamed.

lol

Insert Coin (Level 0) timewarpgamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Flawed by the very concept

Limiting the list to only US-released games? In this day of eBay and emulation and Wii Virtual Console?

Other things that annoyed me...

--All Six Mega Mans??? Couldn't they have stopped after III?
    --Double Dragon II and III but no love for the original?
    --Adeventure Island II cracking the top 30? Haha, you've got to be kidding.

In general, the top 50 is fairly normal (if unsurprising), but when you look at #51 to #100 you'll end up scratching your head to the point of going bald.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I'm not even a huge NES fan, and they excluded a lot of my favorite NES games. Where the hell are Shatterhand, Whomp 'Em, Codename Viper, Pool of Radiance, and Clash at Demonhead?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

I dont think the list is to bad. It doesnt matter who does the list, you will still find someone to bitch about it.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Wow, I'm not even a huge NES fan, and they excluded a lot of my favorite NES games. Where the hell are Shatterhand, Whomp 'Em, Codename Viper, Pool of Radiance, and Clash at Demonhead?
    The best games that they missed were still Magic of Scheherazade and Battle of Olympus.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree on Magic of Scheherazade and Battle of Olympus as well as Kabuki Quantum Fighter being good NES games that were missed.

Double Dragon's music would drive me crazy and prevent me from voting for it in good faith, especially the jungle level's music. SMS version is better IMO.

I also think Legacy of the Wizard and Solomon's Key should have a place on the list for simply being some of the hardest NES games ever.

And where is Gremlins 2??? And Bucky O'Hare???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vivaeljason View Post
    While the MSX version did spawn the franchise, I think Sonicwolf was arguing that the NES version popularized it and allowed for sequels to be made, which actually may not be true. I'm sure the popularity of the games in Japan on the MSX are what convinced Kojima to make more, otherwise we would have gotten SUPER METAL GEAR on the SNES.
    Actually, the first Metal Gear sequel to be made was Snake's Revenge. Originally, Metal Gear was intended to be a single game, with no plans for a sequel. Snake's Revenge was created specifically for the West (and wasn't released at all in Japan), so I would assume its creation must have been driven by the popularity of the NES version of Metal Gear in the West. Supposedly, Konami made Snake's Revenge without even notifying Kojima at first, and when he found out about it, it incited him to make Metal Gear 2. So the NES version was responsible for sequels being made, albeit in a roundabout way.

Insert Coin (Level 0) skyhawk_fan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gradius ranked higher than Life Force? What the heck? Just because Gradius came first doesn't make it better. In fact, it's the worst shoot 'em-up I've played on the NES (unless you count Top Gun.) Life Force, on the other hand, is a game I would put in the top three, along with SMB3 and *gasp* MM6.

Still, kudos to IGN for putting The Guardian Legend in the list. Easily one of the finest games on the NES, despite being, at times, infuriatingly difficult.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Actually, the first Metal Gear sequel to be made was Snake's Revenge. Originally, Metal Gear was intended to be a single game, with no plans for a sequel. Snake's Revenge was created specifically for the West (and wasn't released at all in Japan), so I would assume its creation must have been driven by the popularity of the NES version of Metal Gear in the West. Supposedly, Konami made Snake's Revenge without even notifying Kojima at first, and when he found out about it, it incited him to make Metal Gear 2. So the NES version was responsible for sequels being made, albeit in a roundabout way.
    For whatever reason, I completely forgot about Snake's Revenge (probably because I hate it) and had no idea it was west only. Thanks for clearing that up -- I guess the NES version did spawn the rest of the series, though I imagine that the ball got rolling because of spite about Snake's Revenge.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vivaeljason View Post
    For whatever reason, I completely forgot about Snake's Revenge
    I certainly can't blame you for that.

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is no way that DUCK TALES is a better game than Contra!!!!! W f'n Bullstuff!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitargary75 View Post
    There is no way that DUCK TALES is a better game than Contra!!!!! W f'n Bullstuff!!!
    Dude, have you ever played Duck Tales? The game is phenomenal. Contra is one of my all-time favorite games because it too is great (AND is lots of fun), but Duck Tales is an overlooked classic. I was pleasantly surprised to see it as high up as it was.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Ducktales is way better than Contra.

But I want to know where Double Dare is. That is the best multiplayer game on the NES hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk_fan View Post
    Gradius ranked higher than Life Force? What the heck? Just because Gradius came first doesn't make it better. In fact, it's the worst shoot 'em-up I've played on the NES (unless you count Top Gun.) Life Force, on the other hand, is a game I would put in the top three, along with SMB3 and *gasp* MM6.
    Top Gun is more like a flight simulator than a shoot-em-up.
    Last edited by Baloo; 10-21-2009 at 07:40 PM.