Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
The MSX2+ wasn't sold in America either - I think that also was Japanese exclusive; even if it wasn't who wants to import a 220V machine? As I've said before - I really should test this out in BlueMSX - if the Turbo R runs Undead Line, that'd be a real pro for the system. I've no clue though since it either emulates the VDP of the MSX2+ or includes one; neither seems likely to offer different performance. I believe I've seen a list of the Turbo R exclusive games, don't recall anything that stands out.

The only thing I'll say is that any Turbo R exclusive I'd want to play (Illusion City?) I'll emulate.
Nothing useful in terms of MSX was released in North America. When I say Japanese only I mean in terms of the countries that were lucky enough to get MSX releases besides the pisspoor MSX1 stuff. That's the reason why the Turbo R doesnt have alot of software. Only one country got the model, whereas the other stuff was spread all over.

a Turbo R can run anything ever released for the MSX line of computers, and the list of exclusive titles isn't much. Illusion City is one of the only ones of any consequence.

an MSX2+ isn't really that much different than a 2. It usually has some extra feature, usually MSX-MUSIC built in. Nothing groundbreaking that makes it a must-have. FM-PACs are cheap and have SRAM so they're good to buy anyhow.

NA people have to import either way, so if a Philips NMS8250 is just as available as an HB-F1XD/XDJ/XV , it wont make much difference which one you get. In fact the Philips 8250 is easier to open and replace things, has room for 2 FDDs, and has 128k ram stock, so its actually better than a stock Japanese MSX2.