Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: True DP Confessions: Super Castlevania 4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    Gameplay is king!
    Which is why we ought to say no to the pointless showoff moments in SCV4. Thankfully there aren't many of them (the splitting mud men that slow down the system, the chandeliers, and especially the rotating room are the only ones I think really deserve derision). They are fun to watch the first time though, so I guess they aren't a total waste.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, this is fun. Personally, I liked Castlevania Bloodlines much better than Castlevania IV. It is a better game.

I'm a Jaguar fan hardcore.
    Loved the Sega 32-X more than the Saturn.
    I despise Sony and haven't really liked Playstation since the first.
    3DO Rocks!
    Wario is awesomeness.
    I miss Bonk.

Oh, and I really, Really, REALLY HATE Super Mario Brothers 1 & 2 as well as Super Mario Land, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy. Love Mario Bros. and SMB 3 though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never been able to get past the rotating room in SC4, but I like the game.
    I could never get into any of the 8-bit Super Mario Bros. games
    I don't like any 2D Zelda game
    I think the original Metroid is mediocre at best
    I got a 32X when it first came out and never regretted it.
    I still play Halo Custom Edition on a daily basis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

When I first played SCV IV I thought the rotating room was one of the coolest thing I've ever seen at that point. The rotating room is laggy though, and I've died more than a few times, because the game slows down to a crawl a few points.

Another confession:
    - Similar to kedawa, I've never cared for the original Metroid. Super Metroid on the other hand is one of the best game I've ever played.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Which is why we ought to say no to the pointless showoff moments in SCV4. Thankfully there aren't many of them (the splitting mud men that slow down the system, the chandeliers, and especially the rotating room are the only ones I think really deserve derision). They are fun to watch the first time though, so I guess they aren't a total waste.
    I don't think the chandeliers belong in there. I mean, I'm just as irked by people going gaga over the mode 7 stuff as much as the next guy (especially because there are so many better things about CV4 to focus on), but the chandelier room still makes for a tense, uncomfortable segment, despite that I know it's easy, and it's still an interesting jumping sequence. In comparison, the rotating room has no gameplay at all considering you simply hang there, and the spinning room after that has virtually no level design as it's basically a straight empty path, with the occasional worthless skeleton or mindless jump.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    I thought CV4 looked pretty crappy graphically to be honest in comparison to all the other SNES titles that were coming out.
    Yeah, all those cools onscreen. Look sooo crappy. Especially compared to Genesis/TG16 games. Lots of colors onscreen and an impressive palette - how likes that kinda crap. Especially for an early release title.

I thought SCV4 was pretty decent BITD. The music was fantastic and the graphics/colors were down right impressive compared to the other systems at the time. The one thing I didn't really notice BITD, but saw recently (in a comparison thread)... is that the animation in the game is minimal. Like an NES game. Sure, the sprites were bigger and more of them, but the animation was greatly lacking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have some confessions

I dont like metal gear solid
    I dont really like rpgs except for a few good ones
    I dont like halo 3 multiplayer
    I like far cry vengence for wii because of how bad it is

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I originally rented SCIV for my 12th Birthday Party, but of course everyone wanted to play Super Mario World...

I love the game. The music rocks and Stage 9 has my favorite Castlevania song (not sure of the official name) of all-time which I even wrote some non-sensical lyrics to.

Back to the topic at hand:

- Final Fantasy 7 and Chrono Trigger are my least favorite JRPGs of all-time
    - Sonic 1, 3, Knuckles, and the first stage of Adventure 2 are the only games I like in that series
    - I love Kasumi Ninja for Jaguar
    - and Hydlide and Drakkhen
    - and FMV games
    - and the 3D0
    - and the Channel F

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is fun, here's my list:

-Never been a fan of the Metroid-vania castlevania games, I actually love CV4 to death and is my favorite from the entire series, followed by CV3.
    -I hate every single GTA game.
    -I have never ever played a single Metal Gear game and have never had the desire to even try.
    -I hate the N64, I was a huge NES and SNES fanboy and the N64 was nothing like these system to me.
    -I beat Gunstar Heroes for the 1st time like 2 months ago (can't believe I waited so long, this game is awesome!)
    -I love old school FPS games (Unreal Tournament, Quake III) and hate military FPS games like COD, Medal of Honor, Counter strike, etc (I hate games that try to be realistic)
    -The only Resident Evil games I like are the Outbrake games (both files), don't know why but I love these 2 even though I'm not a fan of survival horror games.
    -I hate [turn based] J-RPGs, but love action RPGs (Alundra, Beyond Oasis, etc) and also love strategic RPGs (Shining Force, Kartia, etc) I also love American PC RPGs (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Elder Scrolls, etc)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by savageone View Post
    I have a confession to make: I don't like Castlevania 4 and never have. Each time I see this game mentioned it gets a level of praise I don't understand.
    You are not alone. I finally played and beat that game this January and was very unimpressed. I'd even call it the worst Castlevania I've ever played.....until I played C2 a few months ago.

As for my video game confession, I actually liked Mortal Kombat: Mythologies on PS1.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    As for my video game confession, I actually liked Mortal Kombat: Mythologies on PS1.
    I hope you add that one to your sig 'cause that's the funniest thing I've read that you've posted.

Only thing that comes to mind for me is, I picked up Saint Sword a while back thinking, "It's a Taito game, it's gotta be good." Ugg.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

-I was never a big fan of Chrono Trigger and I think Chrono Cross is a worthless RPG.

-I could never get past the bridge in the very beginning of MGS3.

-God of War is completely overrated and repetitive, but I liked God of War 2 and feel a lot of the problems from the original were fixed.

-I've never beaten any of the GTA games, yet I've spent countless hours playing all of them, except San Andreas because it blows.

-I've never beaten Castlevania 1 or 3.

-Hydlide isn't that bad of a game.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never thought Castlevania IV had very good graphics. I think it's too brown and just not very well-drawn, and the mode 7 bits didn't do much for me. But I do like the game, more than any of the NES ones. Mainly because the controls are light years better. To this day, every time a new Castlevania comes out, I'm still irritated when it doesn't have directional attacking.

My big confession is that I can't stand the old (8-bit and 16-bit) Mega Man games at all. They just seem cheap and frustrating and I don't see anything redeeming about them; stage selection and getting weapons from boss fights does not a great game make. I was able to warm up to Mega Man 8, X4, and X5, but even then, they were far from my favorites. However, I really enjoyed Legends and the games that followed from it.

I also can't stand the GnG series, which has shitty controls (except for the SMS version).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I hope you add that one to your sig 'cause that's the funniest thing I've read that you've posted.
    Coming from the "only" guy I know who actually likes Gun Grave isn't saying very much for your taste either

As for why I like MKMSZ, um....it was one of my first PS1 games. And even though I liked it I am well aware of it's flaws(pressing a button to look the other way, wtf).
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    OlieTheGoalie1
    Steam
    Vrikkgwj

My confession regarding Castlevania is this: I love the RPG-infused ones (GBA, DS, SotN), but hate the original ones that have life bars for you and the bosses. Maybe it's too old to go back to, but... meh.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 123►Genei-Jin View Post
    -I love old school FPS games (Unreal Tournament, Quake III) and hate military FPS games like COD, Medal of Honor, Counter strike, etc (I hate games that try to be realistic)
    Amen my brother. I prefer my FPSes to be more sci-fi or have some other twist. Realism just makes them feel too uninspired.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0) skyhawk_fan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 123►Genei-Jin View Post
    This is fun, here's my list:

This. Medal of Honor: Frontline, for example, has got to be the most boring FPS in history. Zero Tolerance for the Genesis, despite all its shortcomings due to hardware limitations, is a hundred times more entertaining.

-Post SNES, I think Nintendo is largely a sub-par developer.
    -I'd rather play Shadowgate 64 than any Nintendo-developed N64 game. Indeed, I think it's BY FAR the finest game on the system.
    -I think MM6 is the best game of the original series (although I haven't played much of 9.)
    -Of the GB MM games, I think II is the best one, even though most people seem to hate it. I even like the music.
    -I absolutely despise FF7.
    -The only Sonic games I like are 3D Blast, Adventure, and Adventure 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

- I too do not care for Castlevania IV. I don't hate it, but it's one of my least favorite Castlevania games.
    - I never cared too much for any of the Contra games. Again, I don't hate them just never understood all the praise for them.
    - I dislike all the God of War games.
    - I dislike all the Metal Gear games.
    - I hate online gaming.
    - I love RPG's (my favorite genre) but I never enjoyed the Lunar series. Extremely boring games to me.
    - I enjoy SMB2 more then SMB3
    - I enjoy Zelda: Adventures of Link better then the original.
    - I enjoy Castlevaina 2 more then 1 or 3
    - Zelda Link to the Past is my least favorite Zelda game other then Twilight Princess.
    - I've almost completely lost interest in modern gaming. I recenlty sold my PS3 & 360. I don't really care much for the Wii either, but I've had more fun with it then the other 2 systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk_fan View Post
    -Post SNES, I think Nintendo is largely a sub-par developer.
    -I think MM6 is the best game of the original series (although I haven't played much of 9.)
    By and large, the first of these that I quoted is true (save for the occassional gem here and there).

The second though: utter lies. 2 will always be the best Mega Man (though 6 is a LOT better than people give it credit for).
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Castlevania IV was the last good Castlevania game.

The music is amazing. At the time, I hooked my SNES up to a tape deck and recorded the music using the sound test mode. Sometimes I would just sit there with my headphones being astounded by how the game used the 8 channels of the SNES. It was crazy good.