Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I think that Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is incredibly overrated. I think everyone's love for it is actually the level of nostalgia they have for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think you're in the minority there. OOT was the game that got me back into console gaming, but it hasn't aged well visually and later Zelda games make it sort of redundant. I'd play through it again if it were remade, released for DS, or if someone releases a really great upgrade hack for emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All acclaimed and loved N64 games only seemed great because everything else on the system was so, so bad. All your cherished N64 games are above average at best.

Also there was only one great RPG on the PS2 and it was called Wizardry: Tale of the forsaken Land..
    Last edited by Mark III; 10-21-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

I have many confessions, and I now have the chance to get them off my chest. Here they are:

I also don't like Castlevania 4.
    I have a SNES but not Link to the Past.
    I can't stand Super Mario Land
    I love Super Mario Bros 2
    I hate Sonic as a character, though I love the games he is in (I always thought he was kind of a dick, at least in the newer games)
    I like Luigi better than Mario
    Resident Evil 4 is my favorite game of the RE series (and I am a die-hard fan of the entire series)

There are probably a ton more too, I am just not thinking of them now.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark III View Post
    All acclaimed and loved N64 games only seemed great because everything else on the system was so, so bad. All your cherished N64 games are above average at best.
    Uh huh, because everyone who loves a N64 game doesn't have access to hundreds, if not thousands, of other games on countless other systems that they would be able to compare them to. Especially around here, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Shocking revelation from me: Vagrant Saga is hard!
    Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel View Post
    -Bioshock sucked.
    Agreed with this point in particular. Our numbers grow!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Uh huh, because everyone who loves a N64 game doesn't have access to hundreds, if not thousands, of other games on countless other systems that they would be able to compare them to. Especially around here, right?
    oh snap

Thoughts on the CV franchise:

CV1, III, 4, Bloodlines, X68000 / Chronicles, Rondo = great, though 4 and Bloodlines rely a bit too much on omg grafix
    Belmont's Revenge - very close to that same level
    CV II - this would be great if not for the mansions and some other uninspired level stuff
    Adventure - personal favorite, though clearly inferior in some regards. Kind of like Nemesis, also on the GB.
    The N64 games are all about the atmosphere. Ditto Haunted Castle, actually. The N64 games are much gentler to play, however. LoD has a little bit of replay value on account of the extra modes, but mainly it's just fun to rush through them occasionally.
    SotN and later - oh great let's grind. It may be pretty. This did not stop me from having fun with CotM, HoD, AoS. Out of those the rate of long-term play seems to be CotM, HoD, AoS from first to last. Haven't a clue about the DS titles. So I guess quality has been going straight into the tank since Iga got involved with the series, not that there's a direct correlation there. No idea about the post-N64 3D games. Also: Tiger Electronics Simon's Quest handheld, and Game.com SotN - wheeeNO. I would play them each at least once out of principle, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

My Castlevania confession? The only CV I have ever beaten is CV II and I enjoyed it.

I liked Simon's Quest. There, I said it.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I hate how everything that AVGN says is taken as universal gospel (same deal with Seanbaby 10 years ago). Just a few years ago, this whole idea of "CV2 is terrible/everybody hates CV2" didn't even exist. It used to be widely regarded as a good, maybe not great, game. Now every 14-year-old kid wants to jump on the "CV2 sucks lol" bandwagon, when they've probably barely played it in the first place (or didn't until AFTER the AVGN set their minds on it).

By the way, Deadly Towers isn't the worst NES game either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate how everything that AVGN says is taken as universal gospel (same deal with Seanbaby 10 years ago). Just a few years ago, this whole idea of "CV2 is terrible/everybody hates CV2" didn't even exist. It used to be widely regarded as a good, maybe not great, game. Now every 14-year-old kid wants to jump on the "CV2 sucks lol" bandwagon, when they've probably barely played it in the first place (or didn't until AFTER the AVGN set their minds on it).

By the way, Deadly Towers isn't the worst NES game either.
    Deadly Towers is bad, but it's far from the worst NES game. The worst I've played will always be Jim Henson's Muppet Adventure: Chaos at the Carnival. The game was incredibly boring, glitchy as all hell, no fun, and, of course, led to the downfall of the Muppet franchise (alright, maybe not that one, but still, it's a rough game).
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hate how everything that AVGN says is taken as universal gospel (same deal with Seanbaby 10 years ago). Just a few years ago, this whole idea of "CV2 is terrible/everybody hates CV2" didn't even exist.
    So which forumer are you responding to in here? People were well aware of SQ's flaws long before AVGN. Calling it outright terrible is a bit over the top, but it's by no means perfect. This is by no means a new discussion; there was some discussion of whether the game was good or bad "back in the day" on the CVD Forums.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I was responding to Sabz5150 comment of "I liked Simon's Quest. There, I said it.", which implies that it's some sort of shocking thing to actually like Simon's Quest. I'm not suggesting something as preposterous as claiming no one disliked CV2 prior to AVGN, but there is definitely a distinctly different atmosphere surrounding the game now.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really enjoyed CV2 back when I just had the three NES games. They were all good. Now though, CV2 is like Metroidvania Alpha-Zero. It was the least enjoyable of the NES games IMO, but it suffered greatly in posterity. The only saving grace that is has is that it was once a great game. So many better have come along. 1 and 3 have proven to be more solid.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-21-2009 at 11:31 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I really dont enjoy ANY of the Metroid games... at all.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Racing game edition:

I think the Mario Kart series really blows. The weapons suck, and in particular the blue shell is just ridiculously cheap. Most of the tracks are pretty bland, and some of them are outright torturous. The A.I. literally cheats. They're simply not good games.

I think Gran Turismo is one of the most boring games ever made. And I never understood why people said it was "realistic". Unless those cars are meant to be coated with invisible rubber, the way you bounce off walls is decidedly not realistic.

I never understood what was supposed to be so good about Sega Rally, or any other rally racer for that matter. The steering is poopy. I know it's the way it is on purpose, and that it's a reasonably accurate representation of how it is to handle a car in those conditions, but I just don't think it's fun. I'd rather play a racing game that doesn't involve fighting with the steering.

Two of my favorite racing games are Rollcage and Out Run 2019.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh I guess I should probably put in a reply here. lol It's good to see I'm not alone in my dislike for CV4. Still not a bad game by any means, just far below childhood expectations and it has simply never grown on me. Bloodlines was much much more like what I envisioned a 16-bit Castlevania to be.

On the note of other confessions:
    I like Spelunker for the NES, I find the game to be graphically charming and each time I play it I have fun. I've seen Spelunker joked about/called crap plenty and even a few times (if I recall) I've read that the game is considered a joke in Japan (?). I don't even have some weird nostalgia for it either, I honestly had never played the game before 1998/1999 or so. I suppose it probably helped that one of my favorite NES games ever was/is The Goonies (1) and Spelunker does share a few similarities.

I'd like to get a NES style repro of Spelunker 2 made one of these days, even though I've never played it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I still consider Castlevania II one of my favorite NES games, I can understand some of the hate, but I will agree that some of the recent negative attention it has gotten is pretty silly.

Got a few more

- Friday the 13th is a pretty fun game.
    - I hate Adventure Island
    - Starcraft is boring
    - Any Final Fantasy past 9 (other than 8) are a complete waste of time.
    - The recent Ghostbusters game sucks and felt completely unbalanced.
    - Alex Kidd in High Tech World wasn't that bad of a game, up until you got to the weird Ninja part and then the ridiculous event you had to trigger to get the Sega ad they called an ending.
    - ET is not the worst game ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by savageone View Post
    I like Spelunker for the NES, I find the game to be graphically charming and each time I play it I have fun. I've seen Spelunker joked about/called crap plenty and even a few times (if I recall) I've read that the game is considered a joke in Japan (?). I don't even have some weird nostalgia for it either, I honestly had never played the game before 1998/1999 or so.
    I've never heard anything negative about the game, in fact they recently just made a re-make of the game for the PSN called Spelunker HD and it's gotten good feedback. Spelunker is one of my favorite NES games that I discovered within the past couple of years thanks to emulation and I was delighted when I found a copy of it at Gamestop when they did a liquidation on all older games a year or so back.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    - Starcraft is boring
    Multiplayer with evenly skilled players is better than sex imo.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'd like to get a NES style repro of Spelunker 2 made one of these days, even though I've never played it.
    I wouldn't bother; it's a vastly different game. Not bad for what it is, but if you're looking for a similar experience, it's not so great at filling the bill. This is one case where it would probably be wise to emulate and give it a try first.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I like Spelunker for the NES, I find the game to be graphically charming and each time I play it I have fun.
    They have a remake of Spelunker for the PS3 with online gameplay. Too bad I've always thought Spelunker was a pos, so it's basically another game on the system I don't care about.

Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    - I hate Adventure Island
    Thank you! I'm not alone! I never understood the love for the Adventure Island series...definitely not a fan.

And I agree that E.T. was in no way the worst game ever made. Was it fun? No, but it wasn't as hideously awful as everyone says.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid