Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by vivaeljason View Post
    Deadly Towers is bad, but it's far from the worst NES game. The worst I've played will always be Jim Henson's Muppet Adventure: Chaos at the Carnival. The game was incredibly boring, glitchy as all hell, no fun, and, of course, led to the downfall of the Muppet franchise (alright, maybe not that one, but still, it's a rough game).
    Oh, Chaos at the Carnival isn't that bad. It's just really frustrating.

Like Adventures in the Magic Kingdom. That Pirates of the Caribbean level is such a pain in the ass!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Oh, Chaos at the Carnival isn't that bad. It's just really frustrating.

Like Adventures in the Magic Kingdom. That Pirates of the Caribbean level is such a pain in the ass!
    The difference is that I *enjoy* Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, because while the levels have variety, they're never boring, the control is decent, and the overall game is fun.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I was responding to Sabz5150 comment of "I liked Simon's Quest. There, I said it.", which implies that it's some sort of shocking thing to actually like Simon's Quest. I'm not suggesting something as preposterous as claiming no one disliked CV2 prior to AVGN, but there is definitely a distinctly different atmosphere surrounding the game now.
    Well, I'm just disagreeing that there wasn't already this perception online, going back years, that it was bad. Hell, if you remember DocPan, I remember when that guy was telling me that Bloodlines was terrible! The funny part is that - fixating only on the difference in style between it and other games in the series - I agreed with him! It's certainly not close to being the best game in the series, so I don't see how it's shocking that people would not be able to appreciate its good bits.

tl;dr The Internet makes everybody stupid (at least a bit). AVGN did not invent that, he's just riding the momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    They have a remake of Spelunker for the PS3 with online gameplay. Too bad I've always thought Spelunker was a pos, so it's basically another game on the system I don't care about.

http://www.blogcdn.com/playstation.j...490_5ywesg.jpg
    The Irem-produced arcade versions I really rather hate. It's not smooth at all. I guess I'll try out the NES version, but I'm not expecting anything as glorious as Spelunky or La Mulana.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 10-22-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

These are nothing radical, but here we go.

- I've never played space invaders or pac man much, and neither do I own any variations of either. I do enjoy the space invaders formula games a lot though, so I play them a lot online.
    - I too, like CV 2.
    - In turn, I can't say hate, but I dislike Order of Ecclesia.
    - I hate Little Big Planet. The game is SO boring, I fell asleep once when playing it.
    - I really like shooters, but I don't actually own any.
    - I found SOTN really easy and boring.
    - I've only completed a handful of CV games.
    - The only NES games I've completed to this day are Megaman 2 and Super Mario Bros, which I haven't been able to complete since I was 3.
    - I take video game tattoos for the fun of it, not neccessarily because I play something a lot. I just happen to like the imagery and designs (like space invaders for example).
    - I hate any MMORPG with a burning passion. Yet I find myself strangely attracted to WOW.

That's all I can come up with, for now.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Old_Skool_Fool's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    OOooh. Video game confessions... Interesting...

You're not a criminal for not liking Super Castelvania 4. I think its more criminal that Nintendo managed to slam the word "Super" onto the begining of the title thus making people think there is a Super Castlevania I-III

Some things I would like to confess:

- I first played Super Mario Bros. 3 when I got All-Stars in 1994 and finally beat SMB3 a few months ago...
    - I despise the critically acclaimed PC game, Myst.
    - I played Contra for the first time a week ago.
    - I LOVE NIGHT TRAP!
    I can't agree with the Super Castlevania 4. I think as a followup title from an 8 bit system that SC4 was a true demonstration of where technology was going. Imagine if with today's technology that classic platformers still held consoles by the balls? We would probably have alot more brandable franchises that the publsihers can milk! Not to mention some kick ass games!

OH... I LOVE NIGHT TRAP!!! ----Watch Out for the AUGERS!!!--------

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HYB View Post
    - In turn, I can't say hate, but I dislike Order of Ecclesia.
    This.

I love Castlevania but Order of Ecclesia is easily the worst of the exploration titles.

Nearly every area in OoE is a straight line to the next area. Either that or a winding way from point a to point b. The gameplay is just putting a weapon in each hand and then hit X and Y as fast as you can switching your attack back and forth until the enemy dies because the enemies are retarded as hell and they'll be dead before they attack.

OoE sucks.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, here's one:

I really don't get Super Mario World. I'm not sure if its something wrong with me, but I not only think its probably on the bottom of all the 2d Marios (Mario 2 notwithstanding... and even there I actually do like SMB2 over world) but there are probably upward of 20-25 games on the SNES I would rather play than Super Mario World. And that number is liberal.

The odd thing; I can't understand why I don't like the game! I can't pinpoint any one single thing that is actually BAD about the game. I just don't like it.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jisho23 View Post
    The odd thing; I can't understand why I don't like the game! I can't pinpoint any one single thing that is actually BAD about the game. I just don't like it.
    It could be that Super Mario World is so flat. Unlike on Super Mario Bros. 3 where the world itself isn't just a straight line, you have alot of areas you go up and down with the world. Most stages in Super Mario World are just a straight line to the right, nearly all of them you could actually fly across if you wanted to.

Yoshi's Island fixed that with level design that was much better and far more explorative like Super Mario Bros. 3.was.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jisho23 View Post
    Ok, here's one:

I really don't get Super Mario World. I'm not sure if its something wrong with me, but I not only think its probably on the bottom of all the 2d Marios (Mario 2 notwithstanding... and even there I actually do like SMB2 over world) but there are probably upward of 20-25 games on the SNES I would rather play than Super Mario World. And that number is liberal.

The bolded segment leads me to agree with kupomogli about this. Other than the castle and ghost houses, SMW was a lot of running in a straight line. While the platforming elements are there, it doesn't have quite the adventure element as SMB 2 & 3.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.
    I despise Symphony of the Night. I hate 2D games that expect me to explore every aspect to get somewhere. I get lost easily, a crime of which I am guilty of in real life.
    I dislike the Tomb Raider games and never thought Lara Croft was pretty.
    I haven't gotten into a Grand Theft Auto game since the third. Nothing's really changed, so I don't see a point in playing.
    I have an easier time playing manic shooters than traditional ones. With traditional shooters expect you to cramp big ships into small gaps, while bullet hell generally has you maneuvering small craft through small passages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    Wario is awesomeness.
    I definately agree with this so much so that I have wario tattooed on my leg.

The difference is that I *enjoy* Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, because while the levels have variety, they're never boring, the control is decent, and the overall game is fun.
    This leads me to a confession that when I was a child I rented Adventures in the Magic Kingdom and as a joke put a swear word as my name. My mom happened to walk into the room and read the game text and somehow I got her to believe that it was in the game and not my doing.

Various Confessions:

In response to this thread, I don't recall ever playing Super Castlevania 4(though I've always wanted to)

I love the gba video cartridges (hell, I even hunted down the special game and video version of Lizzie McGuire 2 because it had a video on it)

I to this day still enjoy playing race drivin' and hard drivin'

I enjoy bill laimbeer's combat basketball and used to play it for hours on end when I was young and still play it occasionally to this day.

there are probably many more but those are the first to pop in my head.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's my confession: I never enjoyed any of the 3D Zelda games, except the Wind Waker. Don't know what it was about that game that was different, but all the other really annoyed me to the point that I haven't finished any of them.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wind Waker's the only 3D Zelda game I could ever really get into too. I liked Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time, but I found myself getting bored with them about halfway through. I had no problem finishing Wind Waker before my interested waned, though. Maybe it's shorter?

I could never get into Super Mario World, either. I didn't own a SNES back in the day, but I did play it at a friends house once or twice. It just didn't grab me like SMB3 did. I didn't care for the graphics, and the levels never seemed "real" like I needed to explore every corner. I bought the game a few years ago but I've never been able to will myself to finish it. I loved Yoshi's Island, though, probably one of my favorite platformers.

But back to the topic, I think Super Castlevania IV is okay, but it definitely wasn't what I expected. I don't recall playing it when it was new, but I have played it quite a few times in the last few years. It's not bad, it's just not a step above Castlevania III. It's just a simple side scroller like Castlevania I but with bigger graphics and a few special effects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd like to point out that, in the latest MAME Club, I've been having fun with Surprise Attack, which does a lot of Mode 7 style sprite scaling and a bit of rotation, but not in as flashy a way as Super Castlevania IV. It was released a year earlier. Very interesting. On the one hand, I miss some of the wow moments of Super CV IV; on the other, it's nice in this tough, all-business game to have challenge instead of distractions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I don't think the chandeliers belong in [a list of pointless Mode 7 moments in Super CV IV). I mean, I'm just as irked by people going gaga over the mode 7 stuff as much as the next guy (especially because there are so many better things about CV4 to focus on), but the chandelier room still makes for a tense, uncomfortable segment, despite that I know it's easy, and it's still an interesting jumping sequence. In comparison, the rotating room has no gameplay at all considering you simply hang there, and the spinning room after that has virtually no level design as it's basically a straight empty path, with the occasional worthless skeleton or mindless jump.
    I agree with this entirely. I often mention the chandeliers, but yeah, they aren't the worst moment. I slammed (again in the Surprise Attack thread) the way the two layers work in Super CV IV, as Simon slowly switches from one layer to the other (and his sprite moves "up" a bit to get to the higher level, as I recall). It still manages to look polished though, and gameplay-wise it's not terrible.

It's certainly less offensive than all the foliage in Super Contra arcade hiding enemies (I love it, but it's definitely a cheap trick).
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Skool_Fool View Post
    I can't agree with the Super Castlevania 4. I think as a followup title from an 8 bit system that SC4 was a true demonstration of where technology was going.
    Despite what I wrote above I also think this is true. It just looks snazzy as heck most of the time.

Imagine if with today's technology that classic platformers still held consoles by the balls? We would probably have alot more brandable franchises that the publsihers can milk! Not to mention some kick ass games!
    I think developers have become better with branding in recent years. Sparkster / Rocket Knight Adventures is a bad example; possibly so are some of the classic PlayStation third-person platformer franchises like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, because the franchises got milked and started being developed (as I understand it, I can't say this from personal experience) on the cheap. In the old days there were lots of characters and franchises developed with no careful thought given to creating a marketable character - some of these, like Ryu Hayabusa of Ninja Gaiden, have had staying power that businesses are now making good use of. I don't have any issue with creating games quickly, as they did in the old day,s, but if you take the trouble of creating a franchise or character you ought to get some use out of it beyond just games.

Nintendo led the way here, of course. They were far ahead of Sega and everybody else. Sega never really caught up but they've come closest. Sony has always treated the PlayStation series as the means to their goal of having a unified entertainment station so they can push home theater, products from their movie (lol) and music divisions, and so on. This was a goal back in 1994 and even with Blu-Ray they've not really captured the public imagination beyond "it's a games console with a movie player inside at a good price," whereas the original PlayStation was a games console with a CD player. What captures peoples' imaginations are storylines, characters, and (increasingly the theme nowadays) new ways of playing, and Nintendo has always understood this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Got a few more

- Friday the 13th is a pretty fun game.
    This is SO true. We used to play it all the time when we were kids.

1. I made a CD of SCV4 music and used to listen to it on the way to work.
    2. SCV4 is my fave CV and I have played through it dozens of times.
    3. I hate RPGS; Although I loved FFI way back, I despise it now.
    4. I thought EVA from MGS3 was hot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Astrosmash DWB

Fun topic. I don't think any of my "video game confessions" are that embarrassing, but here's a few offhand...

-I generally enjoy playing the first Super Mario Bros. much more than Mario 3 (except two-player; I like 3's two-player mode more). In turn, I like 3 way better than Super Mario World.
    -I also like the first Sonic the Hedgehog much more than its sequels.
    -I never really cared for Kid Icarus.
    -I think Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is an interesting if severely flawed game - I kind of "get" what the designers were trying to do with it, even if it didn't come out that well.
    -I like the NES Jurassic Park game better than the Genesis one.
    -I bought Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu (NES), Mr. Chin's Gourmet Paradise (GB), Who Shot Johnny Rock? (SCD) and Urban Yeti! (GBA) solely to own games with those titles.
    -I think paddle controllers should make a comeback.
    -I never liked the N64 controller.

Okay, the last two actually are kind of embarrassing...
    -I own Make My Video: Kris Kross (SCD) and Britney's Dance Beat (PS2).
    -I own a Tiger Game.com.
    Dan B.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Astrosmash View Post
    -I like the NES Jurassic Park game better than the Genesis one.
    I think the NES Jurassic Park game is the best of the bunch; I think it was one of the last really good NES games and is often overlooked because it came late in the system's life-cycle and most had moved on to the Genesis and SNES by then.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Had to bump this thread because I just finished Super Castlevania IV for the first time today. Got my wisdom teeth out, so I've actually had time to game. Those last levels are pretty damn hard. I'm looking at you room with the spiked circle following you all the way up.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Before I go Usher Raymond and give you all my confessions, let's be serious here for a moment. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, likes Myst, save for people who think that boring multimedia experiences count as games.
    ... I liked Myst

Other confessions:

* I love System Shock 1 but hate System Shock 2.
    * Couldn't stand Baldur's Gate.
    * Even though I'm a Sega Genesis loyalist now, I actually almost gave the system and all my games away when I was a kid.
    * The last Zelda game I liked was Ocarina of Time. I haven't liked any of them since.
    * I never liked Pokemon, except the anime for the short time when anime on TV was a novelty. The games were just boring.
    * I didn't play Fighting Games as a kid, all the ones I'm into now are recent discoveries.
    * I like the American Street Fighter and Mega Man cartoons.

There.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

After re-reading this recently bumped thread I'm puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by HYB View Post
    I take video game tattoos for the fun of it
    What the heck does that mean?