Thread: Sealed Shantae GameBoy Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Sealed Shantae GameBoy Color

I have the option to buy a sealed copy of Shantae for GameBoy Color. Losse cart sells for around $80.00. The complete copy I seen sold on Ebay sold for over $200.00. Any Idea what a sealed one is worth? The box looks to be in pretty good shape. I would probably buy this and re-sell it to buy a complete copy, I don't collect sealed games. So if anyone is interested in buying a copy shoot me a pm. Or even working out a trade for my sealed one for your complete one plus maybe some cash or something.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

2K Monies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Got wind of a sealed copy fetching $180 over a year ago through a private deal and even then I considered it underpriced. With the new Shantae title supposedly coming out it can only go up in value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    Got wind of a sealed copy fetching $180 over a year ago through a private deal and even then I considered it underpriced. With the new Shantae title supposedly coming out it can only go up in value.
    This one is $300.00. I am seriously considering picking it up. Not because it's sealed, or rare, but because it got nothing but good reviews. I know there are sealed collectors out there, I am not one of them. So I would definately open it. But if I do that I might as well just wait and buy a complete one on ebay. What I am saying here is it is for the taking. I am willing to pick this up for someone, or trade for a complete one in a cash deal. I doubt this store will sell it anytime soon. It's in the back and the owner said he would hold it for me till I decide if I want to buy it. I would really like to buy this, and trade it for a complete one.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    I have the option to buy a sealed copy of Shantae for GameBoy Color. Losse cart sells for around $80.00. The complete copy I seen sold on Ebay sold for over $200.00. Any Idea what a sealed one is worth? The box looks to be in pretty good shape. I would probably buy this and re-sell it to buy a complete copy, I don't collect sealed games. So if anyone is interested in buying a copy shoot me a pm. Or even working out a trade for my sealed one for your complete one plus maybe some cash or something.
    Has this game always been worth so much? I seem to recall seeing copies selling on eBay for $8-10 a few years ago.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Cherry (Level 1) ErmangelnSeelen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ryaan, you just beat me to it...I looked in the rarity database, and it says $5, rarity 3 O_o

What's the story guys?

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good question. I'd like to know the answer to this too - you know, something more descriptive than "sucks to be you".
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Game came out when the GBC was pretty much dead and buried, everyone was paying attention to the GBA. So in a sea of popular cartoon properties it was an unknown license, a more than likely low print run at the end of the system's lifecycle. Barely anyone bought it at its original MSRP and it was available on eBay for a while for cheap. When the stock ran out that's when the price started climbing. Not a very complicated story. I got my gem mint copy for $13 shipped and I'm so, so glad I never got around to opening it.

Wayforward tried to get a Shantae game on the GBA not too long afterwards but because the GBC release was a commercial flop they couldn't get a publisher on board. There was even talk of her getting a dedicated TV plug and play type release but it never happened. When the Wii and DS came out there were respective Shantae technical demos for each (so I heard) but again, nothing came of it.

But hey guys we got Sigma Star Saga instead, I'm not bitter about that at all. Nope.

EDIT: One more thing, it goes without saying that the game is actually pretty good, I consider it to be a spiritual successor to the Westone Wonderboy games.
    Last edited by Bratwurst; 10-18-2009 at 11:05 AM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

But hey guys we got Sigma Star Saga instead, I'm not bitter about that at all. Nope.
    They had to pay the bills somehow.

Besides, they're doing well, aren't they? There's still a chance they'll do something with the property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Besides, they're doing well, aren't they? There's still a chance they'll do something with the property.
    They're making a DSiWare game, there's a big article on it in this month's Nintendo Power.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

So in a sea of popular cartoon properties it was an unknown license, a more than likely low print run at the end of the system's lifecycle.
    So is the rarity guide off then? If it had a low print run should it be listed at an R3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    So is the rarity guide off then? If it had a low print run should it be listed at an R3?
    Yeah, it seems to be off.

The rarity guide is horribly inaccurate...

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah i concur guide is way off. The GB and GBC are tough to judge especially with box as some games just don't show up with boxes very often.

Like F1 Pole Position for GB. The guide has it as an R4 and $8 Loose.

I found one locally complete and it sold for $333, so it is hard to judge these games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by darkslime View Post
    They're making a DSiWare game, there's a big article on it in this month's Nintendo Power.
    So is the DSI port going to be a updated port of the same game? Or a sequel?

Whoever said this game is like Wonderboy, pretty much sold me on it. The Wonderboy series is one of my favorite series.

And it is VERY hard to tell the price of complete gameboy games. These games can double, triple, and even quadruple in price for a nice near mint copy. It seems hard to find them on ebay, and when you do, it's a store trying to sell a game that notmally sells for $8.00, compete for $50.00 or more.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A few points here. I don't know that the print run was super low. It was published by Capcom and was pretty widely available at many stores including Toys R Us. I certainly can't say it was much rarer than any of the other GBC titles released in the final months of the GBC/GBA transition period. It also was available for under $10 up until maybe 2-3 years ago when just about every remaining distributor dumped their GBC stock. I think the demand stems from the fact that it was actually a pretty good platform game, although I still can't really get into the characters or art direction. It just seems really generic to me. In any event, the announcement of the DSi game seems to have touched off some new interest in the game and prices are hovering well above $100 for complete copies and more for factory sealed.

I suspect there are probably many cases of the game still out there and that many new copies will be turning up as people realize it has value and there is new demand.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I figured I would just bump this old thread rather than make a new one. I just picked up this game complete in box. The box has some crushing/creasing in a few areas, but no wear or tear otherwise (ie no tears or worn spots or anything like that). From what I saw, the cart and everything else is in great condition. What would you say this is worth? A cart-only copy sold recently on Ebay with a BIN of $140. Any ideas what I could get for this? And of course if anyone wants one, I'm going to be selling this once I have an idea of the going rate.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by darkslime View Post
    Yeah, it seems to be off.

The rarity guide is horribly inaccurate...
    In defense of the GB/GBC section, it was done well before anyone really cared about GB and it hasn't been updated in 5 years.