Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Leaf Entertainment "for" Genesis?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Expensive as it was a very late release (1996, as 16-bit was slowing down let alone for a flop add-on like the 32X).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Quote Originally Posted by Schiggidyd View Post
    My copies board is right here, the important side of it anyway.
    http://segascream.com/newleaf-entertainment/
    Thanks
    It looks like it supports 2 MB roms. Unsure if the programming software I have supports those chips, but I don't think I'd be able to do anything with one of those based on the mapper/chip setup if I had access to one without redesigning an adapter for it.
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Schiggidyd View Post
    My copies board is right here, the important side of it anyway.
    http://segascream.com/newleaf-entertainment/
    Very cool! Looks like it uses a big coin cell on the board, possibly to store the game info on the chip(s). Might not be a bad idea to replace it at some point in order to avoid losing its contents, though that might affect its value to some collectors.
    -Adam

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    Very cool! Looks like it uses a big coin cell on the board, possibly to store the game info on the chip(s). Might not be a bad idea to replace it at some point in order to avoid losing its contents, though that might affect its value to some collectors.
    -Adam
    It could just be to support save features, I assume the carts would need to support all games including RPGs.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    It could just be to support save features, I assume the carts would need to support all games including RPGs.
    Could very well be. Depends on the sort of chip they used to store the game data, I guess. If it's some sort of (E)EPROM, there's probably nothing to worry about. If it's SRAM, though, it'd lose its data when the battery went dead. Of course, given the fact that over 20 years has passed since that cart was made, it'd likely be flat by now, but I'm pretty sure I've seen NES carts like Legend of Zelda which still manage to hold saved games, so who knows. Just thought I'd throw it out there, in any case...
    -Adam

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dra600n View Post
    Thanks
    It looks like it supports 2 MB roms. Unsure if the programming software I have supports those chips, but I don't think I'd be able to do anything with one of those based on the mapper/chip setup if I had access to one without redesigning an adapter for it.
    Luckily 2 MB covers like 95% of the Genesis library. (I remember looking through the Genesis ROM set, and I recall less than 20 games over that.)
    Although I'm guessing in this cart's development, 95% wouldn't have been enough, they'd want full support (I don't know if they'd excuse one-offs like Virtua Racing).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Luckily 2 MB covers like 95% of the Genesis library. (I remember looking through the Genesis ROM set, and I recall less than 20 games over that.)
    Although I'm guessing in this cart's development, 95% wouldn't have been enough, they'd want full support (I don't know if they'd excuse one-offs like Virtua Racing).
    Oh definitely. I can only think of 4 or 5 games off the top of my head that used mappers over 2mb (toy story, phantasy star 4, I think quarterback club though that may be a 2mb mapper, and one of the basketball games).

I think it would've been more than enough at the time, though I think the write time killed it. Didn't someone mention that it took 15 or 25 minutes to put it together? If it wasn't a 30 second flash, I can't imagine many customers would want to wait for more than a few minutes.

Still such a fascinating concept of the time
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dra600n View Post
    I think it would've been more than enough at the time, though I think the write time killed it. Didn't someone mention that it took 15 or 25 minutes to put it together? If it wasn't a 30 second flash, I can't imagine many customers would want to wait for more than a few minutes.
    The write time for the cartridge was fast, it was only the CD burning that was slow. As they were getting the carts ready for market new games were coming out that were larger than the cart could handle, namely Maximum Carnage. It's all described in the article you quoted the link to earlier.