Thread: Video Capture from a VCR

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video Capture from a VCR

Hi guys.

I'm new here and wanted to know how to get videos of Atari video games uploaded onto Youtube from a vcr recording.

I noticed on ebay that there is an inexpensive USB video capture card with RCA composite and s-video input.

This is the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-VIDEO-AU...item4149a3b6ad

Does anyone have experience with this card and will it allow me to upload videos of games onto Youtube (i'm not the most technically sophisticated person around, mind you!).

Thank you.

Insert Coin (Level 0) crazzywolfie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

looks like a good video capture device. i like the ones with the cable input. it should work great for what you want to do. you may want to use widows movie maker to copy it onto the computer if you plan on doing editing. i find it works better than the software they ussually include.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is an alternate way, that may not require you buying additional hardware.

If you have a miniDV camcorder, they usually have a firewire output. A lot of Mini DV camcorders allow you to hook the video cables to the output on a VCR and use the camera as a digital to analog converter. If your PC has a video editing program, and a firewire port, then you have pretty much everything you need.

Hook the RCA to mini cable between your VCR and Camera. And you can either transfer it to a mini DV tape or pass it through to your video editing program via firewire.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this, because this is the method I use to transfer VCR tapes to my computer then upload them to youtube.

Insert Coin (Level 0) crazzywolfie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    There is an alternate way, that may not require you buying additional hardware.

If you have a miniDV camcorder, they usually have a firewire output. A lot of Mini DV camcorders allow you to hook the video cables to the output on a VCR and use the camera as a digital to analog converter. If your PC has a video editing program, and a firewire port, then you have pretty much everything you need.

Hook the RCA to mini cable between your VCR and Camera. And you can either transfer it to a mini DV tape or pass it through to your video editing program via firewire.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this, because this is the method I use to transfer VCR tapes to my computer then upload them to youtube.
    this sounds like it would take a long time to do. i have never seen camera come with a firewire cable so that would be another expence. the capture devise is cheap and should do the job.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the answers guys.

Maybe i'll go for it then on ebay, crazzywolfie.
    Domestic, I don't have a camcorder, actually I don't even have a dvd player for that matter since mine crashed a couple years ago - I still watch and tape shows on videocassettes if you can believe it.

I'll give this thing a try.
    Thanks again!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
    this sounds like it would take a long time to do. i have never seen camera come with a firewire cable so that would be another expence. the capture devise is cheap and should do the job.
    I'm going out on a limb here and say that a firewire cable is cheaper than a video capture device. But again, this would be if the OP had a camcorder already. In fact, if you record directly to your computer using a camera as a pass through it would take the same amount of time as it would with a capture device. In fact, if you think about it, it works exactly the same as a capture device.