Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3 gets Netflix Streaming Next Month

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default PS3 gets Netflix Streaming Next Month

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...playstation-3/

And with a free (required but CONFIRMED as a temporary solution till Sony adds it to firmware) disc that Netflix will provide to members/PS3 owners they'll be able to take advantage of "Blu Ray Live" features in streaming movies which are found on many Blu-Ray discs.

Me? I'm hoping for some Home integration, "viewing parties" in private spaces please Sony. Thanks.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-27-2009 at 05:25 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I'm watching Netflix streaming on 360 as we speak. The Office season 2. I love this service. I pay $8 per month for unlimited streaming, and one disc at a time. I return the disc about once a month, probably less. I just stream all the time. Grats PS3 owners!! The selection isn't the greatest...but it is pretty good. The selection varies widely, so there is always something I'd like to watch. Last night, I watched Deliverance for the first time.

Only a select number, like 7,000, videos are available for streaming. If you want an idea of what is available, netflix.com makes it pretty difficult to browse their streaming selection without having a current subscription.

So, if you'd like to see what is currently available, visit this place:
    http://instantwatcher.com/

For a list of what is coming soon, visit this place:
    http://streamingsoon.com/

Again, grats, PS3 owners! It's a really cool service...and cheap!

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Nice another way to get use out of my PS3.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 10-26-2009 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    I'm watching Netflix streaming on 360 as we speak. The Office season 2. I love this service. I pay $8 per month for unlimited streaming, and one disc at a time. I return the disc about once a month, probably less. I just stream all the time. Grats PS3 owners!! The selection isn't the greatest...but it is pretty good. The selection varies widely, so there is always something I'd like to watch. Last night, I watched Deliverance for the first time.

Only a select number, like 7,000, videos are available for streaming. If you want an idea of what is available, netflix.com makes it pretty difficult to browse their streaming selection without having a current subscription.

So, if you'd like to see what is currently available, visit this place:
    http://instantwatcher.com/

For a list of what is coming soon, visit this place:
    http://streamingsoon.com/

Again, grats, PS3 owners! It's a really cool service...and cheap!

Wow, pretty impressive! I have never honestly even thought about streaming movies and with 393 horror titles and "Faces of Death" coming soon I think i'm going to give this a whirl. $8.99 is a price that would keep me subscirbed too.

How exactly will this work? Can I order streaming service right now for my PC and use the same service on the PS3 when it becomes availiable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Wow, pretty impressive! I have never honestly even thought about streaming movies and with 393 horror titles and "Faces of Death" coming soon I think i'm going to give this a whirl. $8.99 is a price that would keep me subscirbed too.

How exactly will this work? Can I order streaming service right now for my PC and use the same service on the PS3 when it becomes availiable?
    I would imagine that you could use your PC, PS3 and 360 (if you have one) all under the umbrella of that one fee. You'll just have to get the PS3 Blu-Ray key disc from Netflix until Sony incorporates that data into a firmware upgrade.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Yes. I had it set up at my old apartment where my roommates streamed from my account via their PC hooked up to their TV and I would stream from my 360 in my bedroom. Apparently the ps3 streaming one-ups the 360 in that you can browse, add, and delete things from your instant queue on the ps3. Netflix really is worth it, even if the instant selection can be spotty sometimes. Imagine if all the hype for Apple products was actually warranted; that's how I feel about Netflix.

Also, I'll be glad to be able to stream from a system that's quieter and one that I'm not afraid to turn on for fear of it dying on me.
    Last edited by Half Japanese; 10-26-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

It would be awesome if Netflix would stream to PR.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by Half Japanese View Post
    Yes. I had it set up at my old apartment where my roommates streamed from my account via their PC hooked up to their TV and I would stream from my 360 in my bedroom. Apparently the ps3 streaming one-ups the 360 in that you can browse, add, and delete things from your instant queue on the ps3. Netflix really is worth it, even if the instant selection can be spotty sometimes. Imagine if all the hype for Apple products was actually warranted; that's how I feel about Netflix.

Also, I'll be glad to be able to stream from a system that's quieter and one that I'm not afraid to turn on for fear of it dying on me.
    Actually, a month or so ago, they added that feature to the 360. I just launch Netflix on the 360, browse movies and choose what I want to watch. Poof. Instantly streaming. Back in the day, I had to select movies on their website before I could stream it on my 360...that's all done from the console now. The only problem that that you can't search...just browse. So finding a specific movie can be a pain if I havent already added to my cue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

How timely.

Enjoy it while you can. Metered broadband is coming and the only streaming video available will be what your cable/dsl provider can afford to license and sell to you.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We use the 360 for streaming, and love it. The selection is good especially if you like older movies, or lesser known movies, but only a handful of high profile/new releases are available. A lot of eccentric/cult classic stuff is available streaming. The quality is great, DVD quality or close enough, though I only have a standard def TV. Much better quality than renting through the cable box. A fair amount of TV shows are available as well. We are on the $14.99 unlimited 2 at a time plan, and it is worth every penny.

Good news for PS3 owners, and I hope Wii owners get it too.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'm wondering why the PS3 even needs this. It's nothing more than more junk cluttering the XMB.

You can already go online and do the same thing if you wish rather than it being integrated to the XMB.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    Actually, a month or so ago, they added that feature to the 360. I just launch Netflix on the 360, browse movies and choose what I want to watch. Poof. Instantly streaming. Back in the day, I had to select movies on their website before I could stream it on my 360...that's all done from the console now. The only problem that that you can't search...just browse. So finding a specific movie can be a pain if I havent already added to my cue.
    Right, but from what I understand, you'll get a fuller experience with the ps3 streaming, including search, etc. The browsing is a welcome addition for sure, but to be able to edit your queue more easily and search from the ps3 interface would be almost enough to make me invest in a dust cover for my 360.

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    How timely.

Enjoy it while you can. Metered broadband is coming and the only streaming video available will be what your cable/dsl provider can afford to license and sell to you.
    This has been kicked around for years already, so its implementation won't be immediate even if it does pass, which is doubtful unless the government lets it happen. Just another reason to go through a smaller or local ISP if it's an option. Hell, check into Earthlink, it's what I use, and it's $20 cheaper than the same speed through Time Warner where I'm at, despite the fact Earthlink leases the lines from TWC. Comcast, the worst of all ISPs according to the internet itself, tested this in some markets a year or two ago and it failed spectacularly.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'm wondering why the PS3 even needs this. It's nothing more than more junk cluttering the XMB.

You can already go online and do the same thing if you wish rather than it being integrated to the XMB.
    Really? Taking a shit on a good thing because one extra icon on the XMB will make it "cluttered"? Some people will complain about anything. And without installing an OS is it really possible to stream via the ps3 browser since you need to download a Microsoft Silverlight plugin in order to stream at all via Netflix?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ordered the service last night on the PC and really enjoying it. I'm impressed with the TV stuff they have like seasons of Heroes and Doctor Who, they cover a pretty good spectrum overall.

I went with the $8.99 plan but notcied for $2 I could upgrade the movies they send me to Blu Ray so my plan is $10.99 now but I would much rather get Blu Ray as getting a scratched DVD sucks. Also they have way more Blu Rays now than I realized.

$10.99 is pretty much 2 rentals from Blockbuster and the saving of time and gas and an extra streaming of content. There's really no reason anyone shouldn't get this if they like movies at all. Perfect price point, any more though and I would cancel.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If I could figure out how to connect my 20g PS3 to the internet(wireless), I would love to go back to netflix.

Anyone know of a good way to do this? I would love to buy an adapter like I have on my 360, but is doesnt seem sony offered an add-on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    If I could figure out how to connect my 20g PS3 to the internet(wireless), I would love to go back to netflix.

Anyone know of a good way to do this? I would love to buy an adapter like I have on my 360, but is doesnt seem sony offered an add-on.
    As the 20 gig PS3 is the only one that ever didn't have Wi-Fi standard Sony never developed an official Wi-Fi device.

While the PS3 is good at recognizing USB devices, USB Wi-Fi dongles likely won't ever work with a 20 Gig as they need drivers to install/function.

BUT, you can pick up a wireless ethernet bridge. While they're not super cheap, those are driverless and any should work fine with the 20 gig PS3 if you configure it properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post

A wireless ethernet converter sounds ike what you're looking for. A cheap one will run you $50-$80.
    I haven't researched this but I assume any drivers it needs will be loaded onto a PC/laptop and used for configuration purposes. After that, it should be as simple as plugging your PS3 Cat-5 cable into it. Do your research though.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162029

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Got my netflix disc today for my PS3 and i'm overjoyed. It runs perfectly and looks and sounds great and on a blu-ray so no worries of scratches.

The single best thing is you can register seperate PS3's with the same disc so I can swap out depending on what system i'm on and it keeps the synch data on each one.

They really got the controls right, x pauses and plays, L2/R2 rewinds/fast forwards and although you can't browse any title you do have catagories with 100 choices in each and "can" add to the netflix que from the ps3. If you want to search though you gotta do that on the pc.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More useless crap from Sony. When will they learn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Got my netflix disc today for my PS3 and i'm overjoyed. It runs perfectly and looks and sounds great and on a blu-ray so no worries of scratches.

The single best thing is you can register seperate PS3's with the same disc so I can swap out depending on what system i'm on and it keeps the synch data on each one.

They really got the controls right, x pauses and plays, L2/R2 rewinds/fast forwards and although you can't browse any title you do have catagories with 100 choices in each and "can" add to the netflix que from the ps3. If you want to search though you gotta do that on the pc.
    That's exactly how it is on the 360. I sure wish they would add a search bar.

Quote Originally Posted by neuropolitique View Post
    More useless crap from Sony. When will they learn?
    You're kidding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I tried the ps3 streaming, but I doubt I'll be using the ps3 to stream Netflix since the 360's interface is faster, smoother and the resolution seemed a bit better for the one movie I compared (though Trailer Park Boys: The Movie isn't exactly a stunner in terms of cinematography or a strong transfer in the first place). I think once Netflix hits the XMB via an update instead of requiring the disc it'll be a lot better and more in line with the same quality I'm used to experiencing with the 360.

It's great for ps3 owners, but if you have both systems, the 360 is the better choice for the time being.